Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    lansounet said:

A suggestion for DLG file viewer : could it be made so the states are numbered as in D files, starting at 0 ?

Yeah that would make it easier and less confusing to report or relate dialog issues to people.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @AstroBryGuy hey I'm finding that with the mac version I'm not able to right click while trying to open a game.

The implications of this being that (since its mac) I can't get access to the chitin.key file. So I can't connect Near Infinity to that.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I don't really know how else to explain my issue but basically upon opening Near Infinity it immediately prompts me with a window that asks me to open a keyfile. Except I can't actually open a .app file in order to connect the program to a chitin.key file.

The only way around avoiding this window seems to be giving it a false file. I then get an error message however that also allows me to access the menu for Near Infinity. So I can use that to open a game as needed.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited May 2015
    @elminster NI uses the open dialog provided by Java. It's up to the installed Java Runtime whether it uses a native Mac dialog or its own implementation. There isn't much I can do in NI.

Next NI version will accept application parameters to override or specify the starting game folder. You'll probably have to start NearInfinity via console command to make use of it, but maybe Mac OS X also supports drag&drop actions. Anyway, the console command to start NI via console is java -jar NearInfinity.jar "path/to/game/folder".
    elminster
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited May 2015
    elminster said:

@AstroBryGuy hey I'm finding that with the mac version I'm not able to right click while trying to open a game.

The implications of this being that (since its mac) I can't get access to the chitin.key file. So I can't connect Near Infinity to that.

Go to the BGEE (or BG2EE/IWDEE) app and right click on it, select Show Contents, click on Contents. next, right click on the Resources folder and select Make Alias. Copy the Resources alias to your Desktop (or some other location). Now, you should be able to use that when opening NI. The Open File dialog will show the alias greyed out, but if you double-click on it, it will open up the BGEE Resources folder. It also resolves the alias, so it will be storing the actual location of the chitin.key, not the alias (so you don't need to store the alias permanently).

Another trick you can use to open a new game is to temporarily switch the Look and Feel to something other than OSX, like Metal. NI then uses Java's open file dialog, which sees .app packages as folders.

EDIT: See my post below for a better way to open new games with NI on OSX.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    edited May 2015
    argent77 said:

@elminster NI uses the open dialog provided by Java. It's up to the installed Java Runtime whether it uses a native Mac dialog or its own implementation. There isn't much I can do in NI.

Next NI version will accept application parameters to override or specify the starting game folder. You'll probably have to start NearInfinity via console command to make use of it, but maybe Mac OS X also supports drag&drop actions. Anyway, the console command to start NI via console is java -jar NearInfinity.jar "path/to/game/folder".

@Argent77 - You're a genius! I didn't even think of drag & drop!

This works right now with the Open File Dialog (at least for OSX Look & Feel).

1. In a Finder window, navigate to the Resources folder of the app you want to open with Near Infinity.
    2. Select "Open Game" from the File menu in NI.
    3. Drag the CHITIN.KEY file from the Finder and drop in into NI's "Open game: Locate Keyfile" dialog. This will open the Resources folder of the game you want to open in NI.
    elminster
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited May 2015
    I enjoy that program so much that my harddisk will soon be worn out. :smiley:

Edit : maybe a stupid question, is there a plan or even a currently implementd way to use regexp in search and lookups ?
    Hurricane
    Musigny said:

is there a plan or even a currently implementd way to use regexp in search and lookups ?

No, regular expressions aren't implemented. But it definitely sounds like a good idea.
    CrevsDaak
    Thanks!
    JuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    edited June 2015
    Hey there, is there a way to open an unsupported version-file with Near Infinity?

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150618/be8t2p87.jpg

I already tried older versions of Near Infinity but they too were not able to edit this file.
    @AKrugBier It looks like that either the selected file or references in the file are unreadable or in the wrong file format.

Can you export the file and attach it (as zipped file) to your post? I'd like to take a look. To export unreadable resources in NI, right-click the file in the resource tree on the left and select "Export" from the popup menu.
    edited June 2015
    @AKrugBier It looks like the error message is caused by the Actor "Greyhand" that has been added to the area file by a mod. The actor structure contains an invalid value which causes Near Infinity to look for data that isn't there. I will add a more thorough check to the next NI release to prevent this kind of error in the future.

I've attached a fixed version of your resource, which can be parsed successfully by NI.
    elminster
    Thank you very much!
    @argent77
    In no way Near Infinity was at the core of my misunderstanding.
    And I am absolutely certain that you are aware of the following features but let me describe them naively.
    I would like to share this user case (mine) with you.

Bioware/Beamdog has a naming convention / versioning for its files.
    For instance an are file in BG2 follows the V1.0 structure.
    Everything went fine when I created such an are file (thanks to the weidu CREATE statement).
    I also used the same weidu statement to create spells. Was it ok ? well almost...
    I was able to install that weidu component but when I ran the game the spell was ineffective.
    I used NI to understand why.
    Strangely I did not spot the issue in the edit view. For a reason I cannot explain this became obvious when I compared two spells using the hexa view.
    A spell "V1.0" does not seem to exist in BG2, that's "V1".
    In other words the primary mistake is the internal naming convention. The second mistake is that weidu refuses V1 as an argument to the CREATE command whereas it accepts to create a V1.0 spl instead.
    All of that does not relate to NI itself but I have two vague remarks.
    1- I do not know if this is in your plan for future releases but a field validation on some fields might be welcome.
    2- The fact I realized my mistake using the hexa view is not entirely new. I think that a kind of hexa diff function using two files as arguments would be great.

...Or someone tells me that's already available in NI and I am not knowledgeable enough to use it.
    The incorrect version field of SPL resources created by WeiDU's CREATE command is a known bug and will most likely be fixed in the next WeiDU version. You can find a simple work-around for this bug in the linked topic.

Regarding your suggestions. Field validations are partly implemented, mostly to distinguish between different resource versions to provide version-specific fields (e.g. SPL is available as V1 and V2.0). NI never fixes game resources on its own and doesn't show errors as long as the file structure is consistent, but I could expand the resource checker (found under Tools->Check->For corrupted files...) to check for valid signature and version fields.
    Musigny
    I read your link. I wish I had read it earlier...
    Something not similar in the report : it does not crash the game in my case.

One ultra minor comment about NI. The resource field of opcode/effect 321 is associated with a list of spells but that particular resource can be an item for instance. Not sure there is a good solution for that type of issue.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Thank you for your continued work on this tool @argent77 . A stripped down version is not important to us, but of course I can’t speak for others.
    Sam_JuliusBorisov
  • CandramelekhCandramelekh Member Posts: 109
    argent77 said:

Is there a real need for a stripped down version of NI?

No : )
    AstroBryGuySam_
    I'm running on a late-2008 MacBook, and no problems with the full version.
    From the replies here and there it looks like there is no urgent need for a stripped down version yet. I'll keep the concept of a "NI light" in mind, however, in case it is really needed sometime in the future.
    RavenslightelminsterJuliusBorisov

Update: NearInfinity v1.36-20150826

Changes:
    - Added option to select a user-defined font for displaying structured and textual resources (Options->Text Font->Select font...).
    - Location flag descriptions of ARE resources can make use of custom entries found in AREATYPE.IDS when available.
    - Unchecking Options->Text Editor->BCS and BAF->Enable Automatic Indentation now completely disables auto-indentation.
    - Fixed encoding and decoding of (IWD2) script actions that require more than two string arguments.
    - Fixed a regression which disabled storing settings of the Area Viewer.
    - Missing IDS files don't cause scripts to produce errors.
    JuliusBorisovMusignyhook71Hurricane

Update: NearInfinity v1.36-20150827

A bugfix release:
    - Fixed a bug in the initialization routine of the Extended Search dialog, which prevented the dialog from opening.
    JuliusBorisovhook71