Skip to content

Pies, pie charts and pizza

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    My stomach is aching just for looking at those pictures :)
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    bengoshi said:

Ok... runs to the restaurant to check if they have something similar

So, I've run aroung 10+ restaurants near the place of my work and haven't been able to find anything similar.

The list of things to do in the new country

Entry N 44. To find a real hamburger pie.
    Entry N 45. Eat it!
    Metallomanlolienmlnevese
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    bengoshi said:

Entry N 45. Eat it!

We want a photo of you eating it! :+1:
    JuliusBorisovlolienmlnevese
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I'm not even going to try that. I'm a student, I can't afford to pay for the food if I don't eat it all.
    JuliusBorisovmlnevesemeagloth
    But... But think about the glory!!!
    JuliusBorisovmlnevese

But... But think about the glory!!!

Think about the indigestion!
    Metallomanmlnevese
    edited May 2015
    Who cares! You will be remembered for your deeds!!! A HERO!
    mlneveseFiendish_Warrior
    But for the same amount of cash I can be remembered for projectile vomiting all over the dance floor...
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It's hard to decide which action brings more glory... You should do both @wubble. I'm sure the other forum members would gladly send you the money necessary as long as you stream both acts live :)
    JuliusBorisovMetallomanwubbleprofanitywarning
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    bengoshi said:

bengoshi said:

So, I've run aroung 10+ restaurants near the place of my work and haven't been able to find anything similar.

Entry N 45. Eat it!
    Just make your own.
    Metallomanwubble
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    deltago said:

bengoshi said:

bengoshi said:

Entry N 45. Eat it!
    Just make your own.
    What? What is this heresy?!?? One cannot simply make one's own food! Absurdity!! You have the devil's tongue!
    wubbleNimran
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

deltago said:

bengoshi said:

bengoshi said:

Entry N 45. Eat it!
    Just make your own.
    What? What is this heresy?!?? One cannot simply make one's own food! Absurdity!! You have the devil's tongue!
    Who wants some of my famous ham sammiches?! Made with real Sam!
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited June 2015
    If I didn't want to come to Italy before (as if it was true, though), I'd definitely like now!
    Aedan said:

What is the plural for chef? Chefs? Or just chef?

Chefs:)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chefs
    http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-plural-of/chef.html
    Aedanlolien
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @bengoshi Thanks :)
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    My family came from southern Italy and Sicily a few generations ago and migrated to the US. Palermo specifically was one of the cities from which we came. Makes me wonder if my ancestors used to eat reginette. I remember especially my grandmother always making anise cookies and pizelles from scratch (her mother, my great grandmother, couldn't even speak English as she had come directly from Italy).

A couple of quick, funny stories:

(1) When I was a child and trying anise cookies for the first time, my grandmother told me what they were and all I could think was, "Who is Anna and why does she like these cookies?" I thought she was calling them "Anna's Cookies." I would kill, metaphorically, for some of her homemade cookies again.

(2) When my father was dating my mother, he was invited over to her grandmother's house for dinner one day. My great grandmother cooked up a giant plate of homemade pasta for them and my father didn't understand a lick of Italian. When he finished his meal, he was pretty full, and she asked him something in Italian, gesturing (as we are wont to do when speaking) toward the food. He thought she was asking if he liked it, and so he was nodding his head up and down, "Yes. Yes. It was very good." Next thing he knows, she brings the pasta over and lumped a few more heaping spoonfuls into his dish. It was at that moment that he realized she wasn't asking if he liked it but if he wanted more. He miserably proceeded to eat it as he didn't want to offend her, but suffice it to say that it was not a good evening for him.
    AedanJuliusBorisovMetalloman
    Thank you for your story, @Fiendish_Warrior . I wish I could try your grandmother's cookies as well...

But... do you cook yourself? Maybe you can do something similar to what your grandmother used to cook:)
    Fiendish_Warrior
    Good question - am I the only one who can cook?
    Come on, people! Let me see your pastries :)
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    edited June 2015
    I do (not professionally), but a little less since we moved into our new apartment. Everything about it is better except the kitchen, which is much smaller. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to ask her how she made them (she actually owned her own restaurant at one point). Maybe I'll see if my mother knows. It's a long shot, especially if it wasn't written down somewhere. The two things I do remember though is her French Toast (vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon are the secret ingredients that put it over the top) and Chicken Soup (have to make the broth by boiling water with the chicken, complete with skin and bone). She was so cool. Who else at the age of 89, 4'6, and sub 100 pounds not only owned their own house but pulled the outside basement door off of the hinges, sanded it down, painted it, and replaced it by herself? Her brother at 88 was climbing his two story house to replace parts of his roof by himself. His kids were throwing a fit. :lol:
    JuliusBorisov
    God bless them!
    Fiendish_Warrior
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Aedan said:

Cooking and baking are two very different things. :tongue:

Though I did make my dad a birthday cake last week. A homemade devil's food cake with homemade cream cheese frosting. Not very pretty to look at, so I didn't take any pictures... But that cake was damn delicious. :)
    Fiendish_Warriorjacobtan
    edited June 2015

Aedan said:

Cooking and baking are two very different things. :tongue:

Though I did make my dad a birthday cake last week. A homemade devil's food cake with homemade cream cheese frosting. Not very pretty to look at, so I didn't take any pictures... But that cake was damn delicious. :)
    (Somewhat back on topic...) Speaking of not-very-pretty-but-damn-delicious homemade desserts, my wife whipped up a peanut butter pretzel pie for my birthday. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.........
    Nonnahswriter

Cooking and baking are two very different things.

Yeah - I meant "baking". Language barrier :blush:
    Nonnahswriter
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Shandyr said:

@Aedan
    Thank you very much, I'm amazed really. Justice looks so delicious xD

*Massive appaws*
    wubbleJuliusBorisov