Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    wojtek said:

new info on Dragonspear in 8 days on PAX ? can Beamdog comfirm that?

So, there seems to be a whole lot of a talented crew on the PAX this year. Even if there won't be revealed anything official, we always have a chance that some media decides to interview Chris about SoD, or even maybe Trent Oster, if "the intrusion and extraction vectors" he's sorting out are not against interviewing.

So that later we can read in a foreign magazine about things that haven't been announced yet :)
  • iamcelestialiamcelestial Member Posts: 19
    Could we please have we at least one "news item"/insight released every week? Or every two weeks? Even if it is some very mundane stuff, e.g. "There will be a +2 mace in the game"...

That way, fans will at least have the sense that "things are moving" and won't be so information-starved :(

please?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Cendar said:

Would anyone else out there like to see them add a feature to all of the games where when you pick up loot that goes to a specific bag (I.e. gems for a gem bag, potions for the potion case etc...) That these items would just go there without having to do that pesky extra click for each one to put it in?... It would cut down looting time so nicely :smile:

Only if it's customizable by item type or able to turned off completely. Gems, I'd be okay with automatically going to the gem bag, but for other items, I'd rather not. Potions only go to the potion bag if they aren't needed in quick slots. Healing potions, I tend to distribute directly to quick slots (unless the slot is full), and the same with many other potions (e.g., potions of invisibility to to the thief or stalker, potions of heroism go to warriors, etc..). So, I'd rather not have to crack open the potion bag every time to distribute the potions. Similar for scrolls and ammunition.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    that would be great (if made customizable). when i start the game i create via console all the containers except the bag of holding.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Could we please have we at least one "news item"/insight released every week? Or every two weeks? Even if it is some very mundane stuff, e.g. "There will be a +2 mace in the game"...

That way, fans will at least have the sense that "things are moving" and won't be so information-starved :(

please?

Why ruin the chance to discover these items yourself?

Think your first playthrough of BG2 would have been memorable if they said "hey look for the Flail of Ages that is this powerful artifact that does extra poison, fire and cold damage. Great against trolls"

Or if they blew the lid on celestial fury?

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Sometimes when things are made too easy it also shortcuts the thought process. In the case of the gem bag for example, if the next logical step is to have a "sell all contents" button then you could easily 'lose' items you might need later - like diamonds for example.
  • CendarCendar Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2015
    You know I considered the same problem, or what if you accidentally sell jewelry that could be used as a quest item like the Ruby Ring you get from killing the Ogre Mage in the sewers below Baldur's Gate for example? But considering how much looting I (and I imagine everyone else) does the number of times that one would want to get a specialty item such as quest jewelry or specific stones OUT of the bag and into general inventory would be MUCH lower than the number of times you have to click a stupid lynx eye gem into your inventory on top of the 16 other random gems that for some reason a mangy bunch of kobolds seem to be able to carry in their loincloths and then click them into the bag again...

And now that you mention it one of two things would be very helpful:

1) A "sell all" button in bags would be AWESOME. It takes needless story-breaking and uninteresting time to sell all the stuff one has accumulated after a few days down in Durlag's Tower or frankly anywhere else for that matter.

2) Or at the very least default to selecting ALL of a stack that is in a bag to sell (i.e. instead of making the player click the gold ring and select the number (out of like 20) he/she would like to sell just make all of the stack the default and then the player can select less if he/she wants.

Besides if you wanted to put more thought into it you could always just NOT select the sell all button and instead select each item individually :smile:
  • belascobelasco Member Posts: 18
    dunbar said:

Sometimes when things are made too easy it also shortcuts the thought process. In the case of the gem bag for example, if the next logical step is to have a "sell all contents" button then you could easily 'lose' items you might need later - like diamonds for example.

Easily remedied with a 'rebuy' tab.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited August 2015
    deltago said:

please?

Why ruin the chance to discover these items yourself?

Think your first playthrough of BG2 would have been memorable if they said "hey look for the Flail of Ages that is this powerful artifact that does extra poison, fire and cold damage. Great against trolls"

Or if they blew the lid on celestial fury?

Well, the revealing of a bard hat that grants a skald an option to fire an arrow or to cast a spell without stopping singing, was appealing and served more good than bad.

But to tell the truth, I vote for the developers to focus all their efforts on the game itself rather than making newsletters.

Believe me, even one additional hour spent on bug-finding and bug-fixing, as well as polishing a quest material (think about how many troubles Hexxat's quests had when BG2EE was first released... shrugs*) matters.

This is why it's better that the developers calmly work and when they don't work - calmly rest.

I think that Beamdog is actually quite open about all SoD thing: we have this thread running for years and developers come and share something from time to time, now even in the whole forum section.

As for the updates, well, I hope that the thread with the known information that gets updates from time to time can serve as a news source while the developers continue their work.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

please?

There will be a +2 mace in the game. :)

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

Dee said:

I have it on good authority that the game will contain more than a dozen words of dialogue.

Actually more like nearly a dozen after my last editing pass.

Oh, ok! Good! I was afraid I'd have to do a lot reading in this narrative driven RPG.

Actually.

I kind of want to see a news journalist take this out of context and make an article about how SoD contains less than a dozen words in its dialogue.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Vallmyr said:

I kind of want to see a news journalist take this out of context and make an article about how SoD contains less than a dozen words in its dialogue.

Dat poor sod...
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    edited August 2015

Dee said:

I have it on good authority that the game will contain more than a dozen words of dialogue.

Actually more like nearly a dozen after my last editing pass.

Well, if the title Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear is included in that word count, that only leaves at most 4 words for us to slog through. I just might buy it after all. :wink:
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    So, it was Imoen who captured CHARNAME! Irenicus must have paid her off, then betrayed her when she brought the party to him so that he wouldn't have to pay! (Also, because she's a Bhaalspawn, but he doesn't reveal that bit of information until SoA).
    Dee said:

And those words are "Heya, it's me, Imoen".

Crap--I just gave away the ending.

I see that troll mask is coming in handy.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The mask is actually Pantalone, which is appropriate in this context for entirely different reasons. But I won't tell you why (if only because, in looking it up, you may find yourself learning about something new. And that's always exciting).
    Pantaloon?!

Another pair of pants can be found!!!

or preorders soon.

OR BOTH

And if it is neither, troll mask.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    Saint Pantaleon of Nicomedia the All-Compassionate?...
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

I thought @Dee had become a high priest of the Gazebo cult. A group of individuals who give praise to wooden garden architecture, applauding the virtues of varnishing.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    Cendar said:

Try the Italian commedia del'arte type charter of the wise occasionally lecherous old man who usually ends up winning in the end :smile:

Pray tell, what's the origin of the derivation of the character's name?
    Άγιος Παντελεήμων της Νικομήδειας

• CendarCendar Member Posts: 27

Cendar said:

Try the Italian commedia del'arte type charter of the wise occasionally lecherous old man who usually ends up winning in the end :smile:

Pray tell, what's the origin of the derivation of the character's name?
    Άγιος Παντελεήμων της Νικομήδειας

I'm not sure it's all greek to me!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2015
    Anduin said:

I thought @Dee had become a high priest of the Gazebo cult. A group of individuals who give praise to wooden garden architecture, applauding the virtues of varnishing.

Isn't a requirement for a cult that it practices some ritual that is outside of the norm? Are you saying people frequently don't applaud the virtues of varnishing? I know I do :smiley: