Skip to content

[MOD] -Might and Guile- a tweak mod and kit pack for warriors and rogues.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    lolien
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457

Moving from bug discussion (not that I want to discourage that - definitely let me know if anything goes wrong with you experience with this mod!) to mod discussion:

I have been sort of ignoring the warrior side of this mod. On the one hand, warriors are meant to bash things, and there's only so many interesting ways to play with that. Plus, rangers and paladins are already specialized fighters, so the vanilla game has 12 warrior kits versus only 8 rogue kits. So focusing more on rogues is just evening things out.

But here's an idea for further expansion: how about a Lycanthropic Ranger kit? Possessing a terrible gift, he can transform into a raging beast; but he is blessed by Selune and strives to support her causes. This could be implemented in two ways:

1) A new kit. It would have my druid werewolf shapeshifts (wolf - dire wolf - werewolf - wolfwere) and would need some kind of disadvantages to offset those abilities.
    - Only light armors? Maybe share the Beastmaster usability.
    - No specialization with weapons... more comfortable fighting with claws (which advance to higher levels of mastery over time)

2) Alternatively, just add the shapechanging abilities to the Beastmaster. This would be a radical move, but it would truly make this kit a master of beasts - including himself in that category! Does anyone ever play Beastmasters? I feel like they are perpetually underpowered, maybe this is just the thing to bring them up to par with the other warrior kits.

What do you think?

This reminds me, and surprisingly not in a bad way, of WoW's beastmasters. They had a cool ability duo called awaken the beast ( or something like that) and the beast within. One would buff their pet up to be super strong and one buffed themselves up to be super strong. I could definitely get behind that idea of a master of animals being animalistic himself.
  • DanarielDanariel Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the fast update! I can confirm both issues are resolved. STO installed fine, and I created an Elven Archer with no problem. Since I was trying to create an Elf, that would explain why Marksman didn't show up. Thanks so much!
    VallmyrsemiticgoddessBrer_Rabbit
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    edited September 2015
    I love that, I did give my Beastmaster Werwolf innate with EEKeeper ;)
    SO now it will not feel like cheating ^^

Cant wait to test all together with EET.

Is it possible to give the Beastmaster a special summon instead of the Animal Summoning? Something like the lion from "Golden Lion Figurine" that increase in power over level advancement?
    Maybe a Panther with stealth attack?

Or maybe some other utility animals, like the Cat that can steal, a mouse to scout etc.

Just some ideas on top of my head.

Thanks for the great work.

subtledoctor, do you know how to modify the Haiass mod so that it installs on BGEE? It doesn't recognize it as supported. Is there a line I could change in the .TP2 file or something?
  • wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390

Okay, here is v1.2 - Beastmasters can shapechange into wolf or werewolf forms, *INSTEAD* of being able to cast Find Familiar. (A "Beastmaster" with a "Fairy Dragon" was always a little weird...)

https://github.com/subtledoctor/Might_and_Guile/releases/tag/1.2

Anyone with a "Fairy Dragon" is a little weird...
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    Unfortunately I'm unable to install the Marksman kit for some reason. Here's the debug file it said to share with you to fix it (it's in the zip folder).

I installed a different kit to test and see if the mod was working fine and the Mage Hunter kit was able to install from the mod from what I tested, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
    Found a problem with the Elven Archer - I'm unable to add more points to Bows. I can add them to everything BUT Bows, and you're supposed to be able to Grand Master in Bows with an Archer, that's the whole point. You're not supposed to be able to add more than 1 point to melee, and it seems to be flipped.
  • I am unable to install either the Corsair or the Marksman kits on either BGEE or BG2EE. I've attached a .rar of the debug file to this post, but I'm guessing this is the relevant portion:

ERROR Installing [310: Add the Corsair (fighter kit)], rolling back to previous state
    Unable to Unlink [might_and_guile/backup/310/OTHER.310]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "might_and_guile/backup/310/OTHER.310")
    [might_and_guile/backup/310/UNSETSTR.310] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
    Will uninstall 30 files for [MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2] component 310.
    Uninstalled 30 files for [MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2] component 310.
    Unable to Unlink [might_and_guile/backup/310/READLN.310]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "might_and_guile/backup/310/READLN.310")
    Unable to Unlink [might_and_guile/backup/310/READLN.310.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "might_and_guile/backup/310/READLN.310.TEXT")
    ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "might_and_guile/fighter/corsair/d5_corsa.2da")

ERROR Installing [320: Add the Marksman (fighter kit)], rolling back to previous state
    Unable to Unlink [might_and_guile/backup/320/OTHER.320]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "might_and_guile/backup/320/OTHER.320")
    [might_and_guile/backup/320/UNSETSTR.320] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
    Will uninstall 34 files for [MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2] component 320.
    Uninstalled 34 files for [MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2] component 320.
    Unable to Unlink [might_and_guile/backup/320/READLN.320]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "might_and_guile/backup/320/READLN.320")
    Unable to Unlink [might_and_guile/backup/320/READLN.320.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "might_and_guile/backup/320/READLN.320.TEXT")
    ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "might_and_guile/fighter/marksman/d5_arslo.spl")
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    JuliusBorisov
  • I can confirm that the Corsair and Markman kits install successfully. I rolled up a Corsair and everything seems to be working according to the description, except that I'm only seeing the AC bonus and not the bonus to THAC0. Also, if the Corsair not being able to dual-class into Thief is intended behavior (a thoroughly reasonable stance, I hasten to add), then you might want to state that explicitly in the Disadvantages section.
    [Deleted User]
  • Kai50Kai50 Member Posts: 59
    Hi there is no information on the "revised shadowdancer" in the read me. I wanna install it but I have no idea what it does :P
    JuliusBorisov
  • hellminionhellminion Member Posts: 2
    I just tried the Marksman kit and I have a bug. If you dual class him to a mage he can't use any mage items but can learn spells and cast them. M&Guile version 1.3.1. Only installed the Marksman kit.

Using Dungeon-Be-Gone and Item Upgrade Mod.

Let me know if you need more info.
    JuliusBorisovSkatan
  • hellminionhellminion Member Posts: 2

I just tried the Marksman kit and I have a bug. If you dual class him to a mage he can't use any mage items

Can you be more specific so I can try to replicate the bug? Which items?

This might be intended behavior. Have you tried making a Berserker->Mage or Kensai->Mage and gotten a different result?
    Ok I made in ToB a Kensai lvl 18/ mage lvl 24 and he can use staff of magi and ring of wizardry.

Then I made, again in ToB a Marksman lvl 18 / mage lvl 24 and he CAN'T use staff of magi and ring of wizardry nor amulet of power or wizard scrolls (that's all I tried) BUT he can memorize the spells and cast them that way.

It's like the game thinks he isn't a fighter/mage when deciding on class restrictions on items.

I only installed the marksman kit nothing else from your mod.

Bug #2: when selecting the marksman kit during character creation the description says under "Restrictions" in the kit description: - May only specialize (+++++) with melee weapons. Specializations is only ++ not +++++.

Also you might consider adding the description of the Called Shots like the other vanilla kits do (berserker rage, kensai kai etc.).
    edited November 2015
    semiticgoddess
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited November 2015

Btw I'm hoping to add something new to the "Revised Stat Bonuses" component in v1.4: extra spells for high INT, just as priests get extra divine spells for high WIS.

This will be a bit different though: it will only affect you once, at character creation. It will not be a function of how smart you are in the moment, reacting to any potion you drink or Tome you read. Rather, it will simply evaluate your intelligence at the very beginning of your career to determine your inherent, inborn ability to understand and use high-level magic.

I think for each point of INT you have above 11, you will get an extra spell of that level. So if you manage to start out with 20 INT you would get an extra spell of every level.

Unfortunately it's impossible to have 20 INT at character creation... :tongue: BUT this component will also now add more stat bonuses for demihumans. The max stats for each race will be:

Elves: 19 Dex, 19 Int, 17 Str, 16 Con
    Half-elf: 19 Dex, 17 Con
    Dwarf: 19 Con, 19 Wis, 17 Cha, 16 Dex
    Halfling: 19 Dex, 19 Cha, 17 Int, 16 Str
    Gnome: 19 Int, 19 Con, 17 Str, 16 Wis
    Half-orc: 19 Str, 17 Int, 16 Cha

So an elf or gnome could start with 19 INT and thus get an extra spell of every level up to level 8. In this way the player can finally, almost, eventually, match Edwin's spellcasting prowess!

Here's what I need from you guys: more ideas. This would make every stat give meaningful bonuses, except CHA. If I could do something similar with CHA (apply a bonus once, at character creation) what do you think it should be? Maybe +1 Luck at 17 CHA and +2 Luck at 19 CHA? But, I feel like Luck is a bit overused, and sort of boring. What else would be cool, and creative and interesting? Throw out some ideas, and I'll see if I can do it.

Some different bonuses with how the stats are applied would certainly be a good idea with how the class selection works for the races you can be, at least without altering class restrictions for things like race from mods. Halflings can't be a Paladin, Bard, or Druid which utilize Charisma in some way. Half-Orcs get only -1 to Intelligence instead of -2 when they can't be a Mage (and at least having 18 max Charisma is good for being a party leader fighter, not so much with a -2 penalty they have now). Dwarves get decent enough bonuses to thieving skills but even more Dexterity penalties hurts the possibility of going Fighter/Thief, same Halflings and Fighter/Thief with max 16 Strength. Elves not starting with 18 Strength means you get the possibility of Elven NPCs getting more Strength than you, and preventing the use of composite longbows until getting a tome.

There's also a mod out there for revising the Archer kit which has a -1 Constitution penalty (not the same one as your Elven Archer kit, which I forget what the penalties do), so using that with revised character stats (though both probably not designed with each other in mind), it basically means as an Elf Archer you'd have only a max 15 Constitution. Which for roleplaying isn't so bad or trying out something different, but mandatory penalties on top of more penalties just tempts me to want to use EEKeeper sometimes to get around such restrictions to make the character I have in mind. That's just me though, I guess the same could be said for almost any mod out there as not all of them have exactly the things you'd want, don't want it to seem contradictory with my other critiques.

Maybe a special trait for Humans since they're not part of these modifications is to make the starting stat minimums a bit higher, so people can't use any of their stats as a dump stat as a Human. In exchange for not having to worry about any penalties to their character and being able to dual class. It would make some dual classing more interesting if you couldn't use stats like a dump stat to make the other ones high enough to dual class for some combinations, while still having other stats close to ideal like the physical stats. No more dumping a stat to 3 like Charisma or Wisdom to max out others more easily for a Fighter dualed to Mage for example.

Charisma is something that I think as you advance the plot, having a high enough Charisma should provide passive bonuses to party members, or give you some innate ability like the powers you get after the dreams you have. Since altering actual parts of the story, dialogue, or plot based events would be something for a different mod and probably more cosmetic, maybe you get an innate ability at one of the dreams if you have high enough Charisma that benefits the party in combat, like rallying your party to battle. Maybe high enough Charisma gives you a few dialogue options to prevent NPCs from trying to kill each other or leave over conflicting NPC combinations, allowing you to use whoever you want in the party at once. The way Fallout 2 handled Charisma was probably the best of the Fallout games, but since Baldur's Gate games already give you a 6 character party to work with that sort of approach isn't viable (and the dialogue being much different).

Also one thing I thought of. Would using something like EEKeeper to have say, a Gnome spellcaster with 20 Intelligence still activate the extra spell for Level 9? I mean it may be a bit overpowered especially considering the class options with being an Illusionist too, but I thought I'd ask if that were still possible.
    semiticgoddess
    edited November 2015
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    If you can add effects for each point of a given stat, I think we should do lots of stuff with it.

Stuff to modify:

STR: save vs. death, extra crushing damage on critical hits (EE only)
    DEX: save vs. breath, bonus to critical hit range, movement speed
    CON: save vs. polymorph/death, chance to deflect any source of physical damage (via the Stoneskin opcode on hit)
    INT: save vs. wand/spell, casting speed, detect illusions/traps, set traps, party-wide THAC0 bonus (due to superior planning and whatnot)
    WIS: save vs. spell/wand, casting speed, AC bonus for monks
    CHA: party-wide luck and AC (like Defensive Harmony plus a bard song)

Also, if you're giving unique abilities to fighters and such (like Called Shot), you could grant extra uses per day based on ability scores. An extra one casting of Barbarian Rage per day for a high CON score, for example.
    Cahir
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @semiticgod's ideas seems quite interesting. If each stat would give bonuses to different saves, all will be important and not one will be worthless. Charisma is indeed hard to deal with, but IMO Luck bonus is the way to go. I don't like AC bonus, though - seems odd to me.
    semiticgoddess
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Sorcerers should also get some benefit from high Cha, bonus spells, perhaps.
    semiticgoddess