Skip to content

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited October 2022 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Which is easier to be?27 votes
    1. Armchair general
        3.70%
    2. Armchair psychologist
        3.70%
    3. Armchair proctologist
        3.70%
    4. Armchair economist
      11.11%
    5. Armchair politician
      18.52%
    6. Armchair historian
        3.70%
    7. Armchair movie director
        3.70%
    8. Armchair coach
        7.41%
    9. Armchair -OTHER- (say what!)
      44.44%
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I don't get it... What does it mean to be an "armchair something"?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Armchair traveler :p
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Armchair chair.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Armchair gamer
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Armchair armchoir.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Armchair chair arm
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Is "Armchair X" an English expression not used in Europe? It means you sit in your chair at home watching an activity on TV, and act like you're really doing it, but you're not really doing it, you're just watching it on TV.

The expression is most frequently used with the word "quarterback" in reference to American football. An "armchair quarterback" is a guy who sits and yells at the football players on his TV but never actually plays football.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited November 2015

Is "Armchair X" an English expression not used in Europe? It means you sit in your chair at home watching an activity on TV, and act like you're really doing it, but you're not really doing it, you're just watching it on TV.

I've heard (and used) the expression armchaír general may times. We have similar a expression in Sweden, but it's not like Europe has a uniform way of expression itself. I would assume, though, that the native english speaking countries use the same expression, whereas the rest of the ~45-50'ish countries have their own respective expressions.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited November 2015
    It's a lame example but in Swedish you write up (skriva up) instead of writing down
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Yeah armchair pro gamer.
    Plenty o' them.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Shandyr said:

So what would it mean to be an armchair armchair?

You are an expert of armchairs? But you're not using your expertise but instead you just sit comfortably in your armchair stating what armchairs should do better? But not telling them directly?

Or it means you think you are an expert in being an armchair without ever having actually been one :)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Armchair upholsterer.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It is incredible how much I've seen people who had studied History being discredited by Armchair Historians who had only watched popular news all their lives.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Basically, an Armchair *insert profession* is a person who believes themselves to be an expert on said profession, despite having no training, or experience, in that profession.

Of course, I think all of us are guilty of that to some extent...how many of us have never talked about how rubbish the current politicians are, and how they should set the country to rights (usually in a way that benefits ourselves ;) )? And how many of us have never watched a sports match while yelling instructions to the players at the screen, apparently under the delusion that they can both hear, and think quickly enough to act upon, those instructions? :D
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited November 2015
    Squire said:

Basically, an Armchair *insert profession* is a person who believes themselves to be an expert on said profession, despite having no training, or experience, in that profession.

Of course, I think all of us are guilty of that to some extent...how many of us have never talked about how rubbish the current politicians are, and how they should set the country to rights (usually in a way that benefits ourselves ;) )? And how many of us have never watched a sports match while yelling instructions to the players at the screen, apparently under the delusion that they can both hear, and think quickly enough to act upon, those instructions? :D

The "soccer match" example might be harmless, and it is a social thing to "go with the flow". However, "armchairicism" (just invented the word) on the internet may lead to bigotry and prejudice when it comes to serious things.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Armchair proctologist. Because yuck.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Coach. Because an armchair historian or politician normally reads books.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    People are way too happy to explain to someone that they have issues, what the issues are and why they have said issues. Post something that goes against the norm or isn't politically correct on any forum and BAM!, armchair psychologists appear en masse.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359

Armchair youtube let's player. If I ever get a better computer maybe I'll try my hand at it. But I don't think people want to watch me play the BG saga and Civ 4 over and over and over.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Armchair Literary Critic. I'm sorry but it's just as easy as giving your opinion on a book.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Easy question... because even respectable non-armchair politicians and historians are usually armchair economists.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited November 2015
    SCARY WIZARD's Experiences with Armchair Politicians
    How They Think They Look

How They Really Look

And then somebody comes along and says something that gets them all hot and bothered, and then this happens...
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Armchair molester
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Armchair molester

ruff ruff bow wow woof woof I don't know why you're looking at me, it was the cat.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    armchair lawyer. most people don't understand legal jargon anyway.