Skip to content

The Strange Case of the English Language

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Shandyr said:

And welcome to the next episode of "Typical errors by Germans (trying to) speak(ing) English at Shandyr's university"

So this time our tutor made a pronunciation error, to be more specific he pronounced the word "variance" incorrectly. He pronounced the "i" in that word like you would say "I".

The correct version is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmCVpbLVQYA

Also he said "drawed" for the past tense of "to draw"...
    Of course it's DREW DREW DREW!

I make many mistakes myself when speaking English, I admit. But I can't help but LOVE nitpicking about other people's* errors when they (try to) speak English... ;)

You may consider that a character flaw of mine :tongue:

EDIT: * Note: this only applies to fellow German students

I love to find errors in people's English too (especially my own mother's) but the truth is the only other language I have any reasonable knowledge in is French and I'm terrible at it. I blame it on the terrible curriculum in schools. So if I ever speak French on these forums, I hope someone will take extreme pleasure in correcting me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    wubble said:

especially my own mother's

That's always the most fun. After about 10 years of trying my mom finally says "He's doing well" instead of "He's doing good"... if I'm in the room... after a few seconds of silence... after she says the wrong one first.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited November 2015
    wubble said:

Shandyr said:

Also he said "drawed" for the past tense of "to draw"...
    Of course it's DREW DREW DREW

This actually depends on the subject and if the drawing is being done or done to.

For example:

The boy will draw on the paper.
    The boy drew on the paper.
    The paper was drawn upon with red ink.

The gun slinger will draw his gun in the count of three.
    The gun slinger drew his gun.
    The gun was drawn from the holster.

So the "drawed" might have been an accented drawn.

edited November 2015
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited November 2015
    A little article from Aeon that came to my attention via the usual weekly Mensa e-mail: English is Not Normal.

edit to correct my misspelling: see? It is so "not normal" that I can't even spell "English" correctly. *laugh*
    Post edited by Mathsorcerer on
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2015
    @Shandyr said:

"No pretty sure that's not the case here. It is one of common mistakes Germans do - that sometimes they don't know or mess up past tense/ past participle of irregular verbs.

Plus he did have to use past tense (active, not passive) in his sentence and not past participle."

As an English-speaking former student of German language, I can say that works both ways. German irregular participles are just as hard and easy to get wrong for GSL speakers as English irregulars are for ESL speakers. I also studied French, and the same is true there.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Shandyr said:

And one more time for Mister Mummy Gnome Lich, @Anduin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsSv0RAnH1A

What lame ass robot said that?

Tr-o-o-don? Not even the oo sound as in loop or the u sound as found in book? Just o and o? Madness. Follows no rule.

@Troodon80 said himself it sounded like Trout but the t replaced with a d.

Wait...

How do I say your name...

What in the blazes are you calling me?

I teach phonics daily. But I already lost my sanity years ago...
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Anduin said:

Shandyr said:

And one more time for Mister Mummy Gnome Lich, @Anduin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsSv0RAnH1A

What lame ass robot said that?

Tr-o-o-don? Not even the oo sound as in loop or the u sound as found in book? Just o and o? Madness. Follows no rule.

@Troodon80 said himself it sounded like Trout but the t replaced with a d.

Wait...

How do I say your name...

What in the blazes are you calling me?

I teach phonics daily. But I already lost my sanity years ago...
    My name is actually pronounced NYE-mran.

Anduin is pronounced And-oo-in (the oo as in loo not book)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    At my job there is a department that insists on using the word "Inactivate" when referencing various accounts on our books. This kind of drives me nuts as I keep on wanting to correct them and tell them that they are 'Deactivating' the accounts to make them inactive. The problem is that 'Inactivate' is actually a valid word (according to websters), just not in general use. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

At my job there is a department that insists on using the word "Inactivate" when referencing various accounts on our books. This kind of drives me nuts as I keep on wanting to correct them and tell them that they are 'Deactivating' the accounts to make them inactive. The problem is that 'Inactivate' is actually a valid word (according to websters), just not in general use. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

In this situation, inactive, or inactivate is the proper action. If the accounts are no longer being used, then you inactivate them as they have been dormant for a period of time. If they are currently in use, but you wish them to cease, then you can make them inactive by deactivating them.

Or if an object is in use/performing an action, then you can deactivate it
    If the object is not being used/performing an action you can inactivate it.

Bomb ticking down, deactivate it.
    Bomb lying dormant, inactivate it.
    @deltago - thanks for that break down. it still sounds odd "to me", but I can live with it.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Of course the masters of obtuse wording would be the government.

A trainee is a "developmental".
    Two planes too close together is a "separation error".
    And all the distinctions between "secret", "classified" and "sensitive" are just a hoot! (most FAA information is "sensitive", but dealings with the military and other government agencies quickly become the other sorts).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    In academia, power can mean anything from political office to an invisible, undetectable and odorless mist that magically gravitates towards certain groups of people whom the speaker doesn't like.

In postmodernism, words mean whatever I want them to, and anyone who disagrees is just trying to assert their patriarchal capitalist hegemony over my discourse with their sinister oppressive metanarratives.

In postmodernism, words mean whatever I want them to, and anyone who disagrees is just trying to assert their patriarchal capitalist hegemony over my discourse with their sinister oppressive metanarratives.

I senemtinacial your oodlepops, Flagnatiously.

edited December 2015
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    I'm no linguist, but I would say "earnest" and "sincere" are synonyms.
    Earnest is maybe more formal? Maybe more British? Maybe deeper or just MORE. But I think most English speakers would consider the words to be the same.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Shandyr: No particular difference. They're used a bit differently, but they can be interchangeable in most cases.

If somebody is saying something that they really believe, you would say they're being sincere. If you're describing how that person is in general, you would say they're earnest.

Or, if they're doing something real that they normally fake, then you'd say earnest. There's a line in the Call of the Wild in which Pike the malingerer, who normally faked getting hurt to justify his laziness, was once actually "limping in earnest." I can't believe I remember that phrase from back in high school.

Sincere more often refers to a single statement; earnest more often refers to a person's normal degree of honesty.
    edited August 2016
    I use both depending on context.

I counted the in-ven-tree this morning.

The in-ven-tory in the back needs to be counted.
    Sorry to confuse the issue even more...

But I say in-van-ta-ree when I use the word before a vowel as in... What in-van-ta-ree are you carrying.

And I say in-ven-tor-ee before a consonant. My in-ven-tor-ee consists of...

Not sure of the rule but it is similar to the reason you use an a before a consonant as in a dog and an an before a vowel an elephant

Sometimes my help is just evil in disguise...
    edited August 2016