Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    Awesome this should give just enough time for a complete BG1 playthrough ready for import without rushing too much.. End of month cant come quick enough.
    Adul[Deleted User]
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Pre-ordered, can't wait!

I've been itching for another BG 1 play through so I get to start that this weekend.
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    AlexT said:

The Beamdog version will support (...) Mac at launch.

Your voice is ambrosia.

...Or this news is at least
    FlashburnAstroBryGuy
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486

can't wait!

You should wait, as the new patch will bring all those enhancements for BG1 too.

• Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    lroumen said:

I would like to buy a hardcopy of the manuals at some point in the future. I think it would be nice if the store sold some of the items separately from the game/collectors edition. I'd pay extra plus shipping if need be. I just like paper to read rather than a digital version.

There are legal issues with us selling merchandise separate from the game, based on our various licensing agreements. It's something I'd like to do too but right now it's a nebulous "in the future."
    lolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    With all this pre-order joy, we still have a stream with the developers today, I hope everyone is ready :)

Here're the questions for it (so far):

1. Am I right in understanding SoD will use a summon limit of 6, like IWDEE does? In BG2 and then BGEE and BG2EE it was a limit of 5 summons, but in IWDEE you can summon up to 6 creatures. And am I right that a new summoning limit will be transferred to BGEE and BG2EE with the SoD-related patches?
    I saw more than 5 summons during the first livestream. Also, in the recently released readme for the Tweaks Anthology, there's one component - "Remove Summoning Cap" with the following description: "this component will remove the artificial limit of six summoned creatures from the game (BGEE, BG2EE, IWDEE, EET). This is why I think SoD and patched versions of BGEE and BG2EE will have a limit of 6, not 5, ummoned creatures.
    Am I right?

2. Will we get release notes for the 1.4 patches for BG:EE and BG2:EE like it was the case with the BG2:EE 1.3 version?

3. Will the new patch of BG-EE an BG2-EE sync interface background color? Now BG-EE is blue, BG2-EE is brown, SoD is black.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508

lroumen said:

I would like to buy a hardcopy of the manuals at some point in the future. I think it would be nice if the store sold some of the items separately from the game/collectors edition. I'd pay extra plus shipping if need be. I just like paper to read rather than a digital version.

There are legal issues with us selling merchandise separate from the game, based on our various licensing agreements. It's something I'd like to do too but right now it's a nebulous "in the future."
    I do not use the words often, but..... That sucks!

Thanks for the clarification :)

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Shandyr said:

So how come there's no preorder badge?

Look here:

I want to do something on badges. So it will happen.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/715096/#Comment_715096
    DragonspearAstroBryGuy
  • rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    I'd like to know if there will any Icewind Dale spells included in SoD, or any of the bard songs. As far as I'm aware that hasn't been answered yet. I haven't seen any in the twitch streams either, but that could be an older build or something. I did notice in the announcement video last year Jeheira had an extra second level spell that's normally cleric only, but it wasn't an IWD one (It MAY have been Draw Upon Holy Might).

If they are not including the Icewind Dale spells/songs, will they at least be included in the engine so they can be accessed by mods or EEKeeper?
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited March 2016
    I doubt they'd change how bard songs work, because BG's system is set up differently than IWD. Here you get varied bard songs by choosing different bard kits and by taking the improved bard song HLA, while IWD originally only had one type of bard with various songs.
  • rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    Yeah, I figured the songs especially are unlikely, for the reasons you mentioned. I'd still like them in the engine though.

A couple of IWD level 2 druid spells could be put in without destroying too much balance though, no?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Well my preorder will have to wait until I pay the international card I use for this kind of purchase...
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    bengoshi said:

Also, in the recently released readme for the Tweaks Anthology, there's one component - "Remove Summoning Cap" with the following description: "this component will remove the artificial limit of six summoned creatures from the game (BGEE, BG2EE, IWDEE, EET).

Place zero stock in the Tweaks readme--this is just me not remembering the summoning cap correctly.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    GrammarsaladSon_of_Imoen
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I'd like to know if the upcoming BG:EE patches will affect existing save files, or if I have to start a new game to enjoy the changes. Please? o.o
    [Deleted User]
    AdulrjmacreadyGrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
  • rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    Yeah Id really love to see them add some more meat to BGII. I know during the early part there is the "go out and make money" objective but really from the start of SoA to the end of ToB it really feels on rails. One of the two clear cut areas I felt BGII failed where BGI excelled is in exploration and also the art style. The old style BGII paperdolls still give me nigthmares and some of the item illustrations gave me a headache. Weird spiky twisted sword hilts and bizzare shield shapes etc.
    [Deleted User]
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited March 2016
    When will the stand-alone download be released?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029

I know during the early part there is the "go out and make money" objective but really from the start of SoA to the end of ToB it really feels on rails.

I think this is a fair criticism, but I also think it has less to do with the number of wilderness areas and more to do with the fact that, for 50% of the main plot, you're stuck in the Spellhold->(Sahuagin City)->Underdark line of areas. You can't, say, leave Spellhold and then go do Firekraag's dungeon before tackling the Underdark. That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy seeing new wilderness areas, especially if they each had a few interesting things in them (as the wilderness areas in BG1 do), but I don't think that'd fix the problem.
    Adulrjmacready
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Purchased the pre-order. Yay me! Thanks Beamdog!

My only sadness is I didn't get to buy it for $19.98. ;)
    AdulGrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
  • rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    Jarrakul said:

I think this is a fair criticism, but I also think it has less to do with the number of wilderness areas and more to do with the fact that, for 50% of the main plot, you're stuck in the Spellhold->(Sahuagin City)->Underdark line of areas.

Oh dont get me wrong I wouldnt change the post spellhold->underdark progression for anything, it definitely works well. I think that while there isnt much room for any deep exploration during its course its still a thrilling second half of the story. Id liken it to an much more in depth Candlekeep->the undercity from BG1. In fact i am of the view that unrealated exploration during this sort of time can be detrimental to a plot. For example I always played the Totsc segments BEFORE returning to Candlekeep as due to its aftermath and the importance to the main character galivanting off on extended sea journeys and dungeon crawls just seems out of place given the stakes.

Bottom line is though in BG1 I really felt like I was exploring a good chunk of the sword coast while on an epic main quest whereas in BG2 I felt like I was on an even more epic main quest but just with some (incredible for sure) smaller side stories.
    Dragonspear
    GrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Attention: Leonardo DiCaprio won an Oscar before Siege of Dragonspear was released

I'm not complaining about them taking their time, just noting a crazy fact.

Cerevant said:

Attention: Leonardo DiCaprio won an Oscar before Siege of Dragonspear was released

I'm not complaining about them taking their time, just noting a crazy fact.

Ok @Amber_Scott, we're finally good to go.
    Then, two days later....

I'm not saying it was a conspiracy, but it was a conspiracy
    GrammarsaladDragonspearJuliusBorisov
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    I know this is not going to happen. but i wish in the sod patch they could update the baldur's gate city map in ee. even replaying the game a few months ago i still find it the worst world map design in the game. just make like bg2 and say what each district is as it is shown in sod.