Skip to content

David_Gaider needs a list

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Noober is clearly a major power. Portfolio includes beginnings, inexperience, cluelessness, and small shiny rocks with winning personalities.
    mf2112RavenslightButtercheeseJuliusBorisov
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354

1. A rating of PG-18 (or at least PG-16 like Planescape: Torment) would be nice. Medieval fantasy catering for young teens stop to be interesting after reaching a certain age.
    Actually, that would be exactly my reason for a family friendly PG-13 rating. R-rated games aimed at angsty teens stop being interesting after reaching a certain age ;)

[There may be more customers between your certain age and mine, but more are heading towards my age every day!]
    mashedtaters
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354

BillyYank said:

2. Decouple alignment and reputation, it should be possible to run an evil/high rep or good/low rep game.

Always fun to play intelligent sneaky evil, which could seem angelic from first sight, but in reality, is actually quite opposite, like devoted priest of Talos giving "wisdom" to commoners

Much as my characters tend towards lawful and good, if I do occasionally play the other side, I want to play smart-evil. I don't want to push smart-evil down the players' throats as the only/preferred evil option, but it really needs to be an option before I can consider that play style myself.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Well, the thing is, Infinity style games can get away with a lot more than your average third person 3D game. That's simply because we don't actually see a lot of the stuff happening, but rather read about it and imagine it ourselves and/or the details are missing because it's shown from too far away.

For example, you don't see how Minsc burries his Sword in that kobold's head ... you see him vaguely flailing in the kobold's direction and at one point the kobold falls over.
    And writing can get away with much more "mature" (as in not suitable for children) themes than a visual medium can, simply because in the end it depends on the reader's imagination.

My point is, depending on how the new game presents itself, it can get different ratings even if it has the exact same story and scenes.

Anyway, I personally prefer mature themes and if that eans an 18+ rating, so be it.
    And by that I don't mean that you guys should slap tits and guts all over the game.
    I think you know what I mean. Just treat your players as intelligent adults please >.>
    RavenslightbrusKamigoroshiMandragora
    And please no irreversable certain death spells à la Aec'Letec.
    mlneveseJuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    1. Isometric
    2. Plenty of joinable NPCs
    3. Equally playable by good and evil characters
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    With the possibility of a new game set in a new location, it occurs to me that there might eventually be new expansions to this hypothetical game. For me this brings up the question of whether the expansions continue the story and progression of our original protagonist, or require that you start over with a new one each time.

One of the things that I love about the BG series is that each expansion expands on my original protagonists story. As much as I liked the Dragon Age games, I would have preferred that they stuck with one protagonist.

I’m curious how others feel about this.
    JuliusBorisovMandragora
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited June 2016
    I can tell you one tip for your npc. You wish to have coherent stories, a great arch for your characters and stuff of this sort? Hire better writers, or leave the writers you currently got and hire Shawne (he is on this forum). I checked his discussions topic about the EE npcs and honestly I was both sad and disgusted you didn't listen to him. I don't find it hard if you love your product to give another bit of love and actually improve it and remove the flaws.

If you gave in his suggestions, people would not make mods to disable EE npc content. But to each his own. Sorry if my opinion seems aggressive, but it is actually the harsh truth

ciao
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 207
    edited June 2016
    1. Dragon! Prefeably an epic battle against many of various colors!
    2. Magic Sword!
    3. Cool Battle Maneuvers. ( special moves like Knockdown, Grapple, Disarm )

Edit!

4. Recurring Villains ( like The Linear Guild in Order of the Stick ) ... since players have access to resurrection, wouldn´t it make kind of sense that the enemies would use it as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Arthasbrus
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    always Subtledoctor <3 :P
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    edited June 2016
    Also i would love a Ravenloft game with:

1)Dread Golems. Possibly one as a recruitable character with a tragic backstory.

2)A cameo of Isolde's carnival.

3) And of course, Strahd.
    DJKajuru
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I agree so much with @Buttercheese
    A good villain with a good motivation drives the story. Good examples being Caelar (noble goal, but misguided), Sarevok (personal power to become a God) and Jon Irenicus (Immortality). Having a big bad a demon or something, that is trying to destroy the world only because "it's there" and "for the evulz" is lame and boring.

Remember the Thor movies from Marvel? Thor 1's main villain was likable, charismatic and basically the whole movie was his road to evil. Thor 2 had some idiot I don't even remember who wanted to destroy the world for no apparent reason.
    mf2112Buttercheesemashedtaters
    edited June 2016
    Southpaw said:

Remember the Thor movies from Marvel? Thor 1's main villain was likable, charismatic and basically the whole movie was his road to evil. Thor 2 had some idiot I don't even remember who wanted to destroy the world for no apparent reason.

Oh god, I had already forgotten about this ... this was actually one of the biggest beefs I had with this movie (on a long long list of many).

(And, by the way, the dark elves of Thor 2 were motivated by a desire to return the world to the place it was before the coming of the light -- they represent the void that was and the entropy that remains; very important idea in Norse mythology. The dark, the void, is what was and what will be again and in the present the dark is a force of corruption. They are Manichean evil and I liked that movie)

Of old was the age | when Ymir lived;
    Sea nor cool waves | nor sand there were;
    Earth had not been, | nor heaven above,
    But a yawning gap, | and grass nowhere.

And this follows Tolkien -- Orcs were elves that were twisted by Morgoth into foul, evil beings. If there was a good orc he would be an elf -- therefore you cannot be good and an orc; "good orc" is a contradiction like "imperfect perfection". I get that people *reject* the theological underpinnings of alignment system with its origins the writing of Tolkien (and Augustine) and, in real life, so do I -- but I like my fantasy world to have *real* evil in it. Not just greed, ambition and lack of empathy -- real evil that you can detect with a spell.

I don't know, mate, this sounds really hard to be made interesting or "realistic" (in the broadest sense of the word). The concept of good vs. evil like this is so far away from reality that I can't even immagine playing a character in a world like this. And especially D&D is not about black and white story telling, but about a spectrum ... that's why we have nine core alignments. There isn't just evil. There are two extremes to evil and a middle ground.

Well, and D&D orcs have little left in common with their cousins from middle earth. They are more like barbaric tribes meets raw animalism.
    Post edited by Buttercheese on
    mf2112BelgarathMTHkillerrabbit