Skip to content

Custom PC & NPC Portraits

Comments

• RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    edited September 2016
    You were looking for a female tiefling portrait? Ashley Smith everyone! (which needs some polishing)

:::dead link:::
    Post edited by Rodrian on
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448

@smeagolheart , I think those base pictures look incorrectly aspected, as though they came from a 4X3 screen stretched to 16x9. The faces and body proportions look shorter and wider than normal.

When making a BG portrait from a photo of a real person, the first thing to do is to set the height of the photo to 90 % while keeping the width at 100 %.
    smeagolheart
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2016
    I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone have a .bmp of Syntia13's awesome Xan portrait (originally posted here in 2012)? I want to use it in my BG2 game with that one Xan mod. Thank you.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the mysterious dropbox I've heard so much about.
    Post edited by evildevil97 on
    Rodrian
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited May 2016
    This guy's going to be my next PC, a dragon disciple.

Edit: Now with eyebrows!
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
    lolienAerakarJuliusBorisovkaguana
  • DukinsonDukinson Member Posts: 46
    Rodrian said:

You were looking for a female tiefling portrait? Ashley Smith everyone! (which needs some polishing)

For a moment I thought this was a picture of an ex girlfriend.
    RodrianlolienAerakarPapa_Lou
  • JimstromJimstrom Member Posts: 98
    Can i make requests in this thread?

If i can i've always thought that Imoens portrait in Baldur's gate 2 did not match her personality, since she is supposed to be Soulless, i would like a portrait that is reflecting that, so when she finally get her soul back, i change her portrait to a more lively maybe smiling portrait instead, so it's a big contrast between each other.
    lolienDJKajuruAerakar
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    edited June 2016
    Atli_Gimp said:

Hi there, long time player but new to the forum.
    I just wanted to share my attempt at portraitizing an image for BG.
    The original seems to be a model for hair extensions or something...

https://images3.alphacoders.com/596/596210.jpg

Wow, excellent work!
    Atli_Gimp said:

I've been told that the colors in my monitor are out of whack so I don't know if there's too much gamma or if it's too vivid or something.

There isn't, but on a side note, I hate when that happens.

I recently bought a new laptop, and I've found that at least one portrait that I thought looked nicely colored on my old one now looks absurdly yellow on the new one.

Post edited by SharGuidesMyHand on
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469

blockquote class="Quote" rel="Atli_Gimp">Hi there, long time player but new to the forum.
    I just wanted to share my attempt at portraitizing an image for BG.
    The original seems to be a model for hair extensions or something...

https://images3.alphacoders.com/596/596210.jpg

Wow, excellent work!
    Atli_Gimp said:

I've been told that the colors in my monitor are out of whack so I don't know if there's too much gamma or if it's too vivid or something.

There isn't, but on a side note, I hate when that happens.

I recently bought a new laptop, and I've found that at least one portrait that I thought looked nicely colored on my old one now looks absurdly yellow on the new one.

Damm... that first one is hot hot hot ;)
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Are you guys completely mad with those unnecessary quotes? o.O
    Seriously. .

@Atli_Gimp , can't wait to see more stuff from you, excellent work! ^^
    lolien
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @SharGuidesMyHand , try printing the image to check how the colors really look like
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

@bengoshi Couldn't resist. Most of the work went into removing that green-blue tint. Not my favorite work though.

How do you do that?! The picture out of photo?! Amazing!
    Got a photo I like but I can not get anything coherent out of photoshop even if my life would depend on it.

lolien
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

@Mirandel Here's a quick edit for you. When I have the time I'll write a short step-by-step procedure of how I make these. Mostly it involves using the oil paint filter and a bit of smudging.

I tryed and faild, so to me it looks like magic :) THANK YOU!
    lolien
  • Atli_GimpAtli_Gimp Member Posts: 12
    Ok darn, I just opened the images on another computer that's adjusted for editing photographs and realized that the colors on my monitor are way off.
    These portraits are way more contrasted on my monitor and don't look as gloomy. I'll have to fix that and in turn fix the two portraits I've made already.
    lolien
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Atli_Gimp said:

Ok darn, I just opened the images on another computer that's adjusted for editing photographs and realized that the colors on my monitor are way off.
    These portraits are way more contrasted on my monitor and don't look as gloomy. I'll have to fix that and in turn fix the two portraits I've made already.

They look bright and fully detailed on my monitor, not gloomy at all.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    It's about contrasts and colours, the screen adjustments shouldn't have a noticable impact on the details.
    And I do agree, the BG1 style has very strong shading and contrasts. Though I think the portrait should look fine with BG2 style.
    @Buttercheese Yeah the contrast and shading is what I saw was lacking on the other monitor. Working on fixing it since it's the Bg1 look I was shooting for, don't really care much for the fluff of Bg2 portraits.
    Buttercheeselolien
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    BG1 also has this thing with the coloured light going on, so if you really wanna shoot for that style, you should ad an additional, coloured light source.
    lolien
    That's true, I guess I'll shoot for that look to a certain degree; pick and choose :)
    Buttercheeselolien
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Perhaps a teensy bit off topic... but I've been looking for an answer to this question for some time now, as I've been undertaking a custom NPC portraits project for the first time.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/54675/strange-issue-related-to-custom-portraits-for-npcs-all-custom-npc-portrait-overrides#latest

Thank you :smile:
    Atli_Gimplolien
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    @Varwulf , just download Near Infinity, open up the game, and look at the .bmp files. It's pretty clear which are portraits, because they have matching filenames ending in L & M (and sometimes S).

Look at my post here for some of the names:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/781140/#Comment_781140
    lolienJuliusBorisov