Skip to content

Name three things you don't want in a new D&D game

1234568»

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Nimran said:

3. Perpetually dark and gloomy atmosphere. I prefer games with some levity rather than constant doom and gloom (again, not really a problem for Beamdog, as they have proven their willingness to include funny moments in their content).

And here I am hoping for a Ravenloft scenario game...

People are different indeed.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Raduziel said:

Nimran said:

3. Perpetually dark and gloomy atmosphere. I prefer games with some levity rather than constant doom and gloom (again, not really a problem for Beamdog, as they have proven their willingness to include funny moments in their content).

And here I am hoping for a Ravenloft scenario game...

People are different indeed.
    I am hoping for elements of both. I liked Ravenloft in PnP (as a DM that is, for a player it can be much less pleasant) but the whole group including me were glad when it was over. I wouldn't want that to be the whole game, but a good chunk would be fun.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Please, not Ravenloft. Vampires, werewolves, etc. are so done to death :unamused:
    And this is coming from someone who already didn't like vampires before Twilight was a thing. (Look at me, hipstering it up.) I mean, having some vampires in a different story (like it was done in BG2), that is okay, but forming the entire setting around it? No thanks.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    What if we threw in some silly song and dance numbers?
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Maybe.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Ravenloft is like jamming every corny horror classic into a single setting. Probably not what you want out of a BG-like game, but it's still awesome.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Buttercheese,

I mean, having some vampires in a different story (like it was done in BG2), that is okay, but forming the entire setting around it? No thanks.

Just think about it, though, it could always be drow vampires. :P
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I'd say that's fair. ʕᴖᴥᴖʔ
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    Anne Rice killed vampires... since then they've become so oversaturated in all kinds of fiction. I agree with @Buttercheese that they should be buried for a good 10 years or so, along with Werewolves and the 'quiet outsider with extraordinary powers' trope.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    All this vampire hate makes me want to reinstall Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

There are no forum rules against gutting an admin with a rusty spoon, are there?

Nope. But for some reason the police usually do not like people who do that...
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    Kurona said:

All this vampire hate makes me want to reinstall Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Ha! You too?
    The Masquerade was cool but reading this thread got me reminiscing about my old Ravenloft 'black box' set. The setting was perpetually gloomy but I loved all the idiosyncrasies that DM's could use to make life a living hell for the players.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'll add another thing I don't want: Pointless controversies that dominate public discussion of the game.

Though I don't think Beamdog is responsible for said controversies.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Kurona said:

Heh..funny though. Vampire the Masquarade: Redemption a few years earlier, had IMO one of the most insufferable protagonists ever. Generally the dialogue in that game was very cheesy as well.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    I don't hate vampires. I just want quite a few less so I can appreciate the good ones more.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    As long as they don't sparkle, I can deal with vampires.
    There are vampires and there is Count Strahd Von Zarovich.

The greatest thing about Ravenloft is that everything is unexpected. You can't rely on common knowledge about the baddies.

Really guys, give this scenario a try and never - ever - spoil it by reading DM material.

One quest I did in Ravenloft made me be scared of dolls for at least two months.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Never watch the Blink episode of modern Doctor Who then.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Never read a Thomas Ligotti short story about dolls either, and he has quite a few of 'em.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Raduziel said:

My mom also told me, in precise detail, about a scene in a vampire movie where the vampire is floating outside a little boy's window, smiling and very gently tapping on the glass, urging him to open the window and let him inside.

I didn't even see the movie until years later, but my mom's description of the scene was so vivid that the idea of that vampire coming to my window and tapping gently on the glass terrified me. Whenever the scene comes to mind, I have to think of something else to get it out of my head. It was just that eerie.

The Lost Boys? Great movie.
    @semiticgod You need to turn your mom into a dungeon master.