Skip to content

Who should be the next president of the Divided States of Vegetables?

1234568»

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Bear in mind that when the electoral college was invented, the majority of people lived in rural areas. Rural areas already had the advantage in politics at the time; the electoral college would have compounded it. The electoral college also granted extra power to slave states by virtue of the 3/5 compromise.

So it's not accurate to say the electoral college was designed to protect rural areas from powerful urban areas--that's an anachronism. Rather, it increased the power of slave states and already-powerful rural areas.
    mashedtaters
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    It doesn't give power OF rural areas OVER populated areas. It gives power TO rural areas DESPITE populated areas. Big difference.
    For example, almost the entire state of Georgia, Florida, and Ohio had to vote the opposite way from the cities in order to be heard.
    That happened in both New York and New Jersey, but it didn't work.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited November 2016

It doesn't give power OF rural areas OVER populated areas. It gives power TO rural areas DESPITE populated areas. Big difference.
    For example, almost the entire state of Georgia, Florida, and Ohio had to vote the opposite way from the cities in order to be heard.
    That happened in both New York and New Jersey, but it didn't work.

When the person with the most votes loses the election then the power of rural people overcame the power of the populated areas.
    mashedtaterssemiticgoddess
    And how? Because the rural areas all had to unite. Otherwise, no amount of rural areas uniting can ever make any difference against the cities.

This is exactly why the electoral college was founded, and it has done what it was designed to do this time.

Look, I don't like the electoral college. I think it's stupid and that it should be changed, not eliminated in favor of the popular vote. Like I said, it will always make it difficult for a 3rd party candidate from becoming elected. But if we as a nation don't like it because it did what it was designed to do, then we should all change it.

My fantasy is that this December the senate and house will say f*** it and just elect Tatery Johnsonmash.
    God
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited November 2016

And here I am, wandering which USA president will be better in terms of future economical and political relations with my country...

Neither one of them. Historically, they all only rooted for their own wellbeing (1) and for the wellbeing of USA (2) ... then come the wellbeing of rats (3) ... cocroaches (4) ... stale jars of mustard (somewhere around number 10) ... thrash (# 15) ... and here we have the wellbeing of other countries, just at the end and it's a tie with "wellbeing of smelly old socks".
    mashedtatersThacoBellAnduinJuliusBorisov
    @mlnevese
    I don't think anyone was under any allusion as to what this topic was about when it was first created.
    But if we want to split it up, that's fine with me.

Bear in mind that when the electoral college was invented, the majority of people lived in rural areas. Rural areas already had the advantage in politics at the time; the electoral college would have compounded it. The electoral college also granted extra power to slave states by virtue of the 3/5 compromise.

So it's not accurate to say the electoral college was designed to protect rural areas from powerful urban areas--that's an anachronism. Rather, it increased the power of slave states and already-powerful rural areas.

(I got jumpaposted)

That's true. It was actually originally created back in the day to keep the power of geographically large states from overwhelming geographically small states. It has since evolved and been redesigned or changed to what we have today, to keep cities from overwhelming rural areas.
    Hmm...how about we vote on it?

Just kidding!!!
    [Deleted User]semiticgoddesssmeagolheart
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    This be the light-hearted way to take a piss out of populist politics trump all, and cope with shock and awe? (Or prance, for the others, of course - no prob with that).

Okei, here goes. First, seriously, I quote Merkel:

“Germany and America are connected by values of democracy, freedom, and respect for the law and the dignity of man, independent of origin, skin colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or political views.

I offer the next President of the United States close cooperation on the basis of these values.

The partnership with the United States is and remains a foundation of German foreign policy.”

In view what Trump likes and thinks he can freely grab - this advice would not be his "first choice" for it, would it?

It is principled, it is sensible, setting boundaries but open for professionalism and cooperation - and comes from an empowered and powerful woman, no less.

So "you're fired - no grab!!" Or ...we should put controsionist act on our flight of fancy, and imagine Trump once statesmanlike for the sake of the business of presidency?
    mashedtaterssmeagolheart
    I believe we should post political stuff in
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/32731/politics-the-feel-in-your-country#latest
    and reserve this thread for vegetable stuff.

Like pickles.

Who wants a pickle?

Do you wanna pickle?
    mashedtatersJuliusBorisov
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    mlnevese said:

Bahhh never moderate when sleepy... I thought this one was Anduin's :)

Sorry people... go on and have fun :)

When in doubt, Tiax rules all :smirk:
    mashedtatersmlnevese
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Now is not the tyme for vegetable puns.
    mashedtaters
    BillyYank said:

I believe we should post political stuff in
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/32731/politics-the-feel-in-your-country#latest
    and reserve this thread for vegetable stuff.

Like pickles.

Who wants a pickle?

Do you wanna pickle?

I'd rather ride on my motor-cyckle.
    I wonder how many others here know where that's from lol ;) I don't want to die I just want to ride on my motorcy-cle
    @smeagolheart @BillyYank: Where's that from?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    mlnevese said:

Bahhh never moderate when sleepy... I thought this one was Anduin's :)

Sorry people... go on and have fun :)

I wish to thank NASA and their Martian friend @mlnevese for stepping in and protecting me... When actually I was just acting in character. In all probability I will be president when we land on Mars.... Or when we take off and die on the way... In the name of science and the American dream, which is a good lasagna.
    ThacoBellmashedtatersmlneveseJuliusBorisov