Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Yes it is. I've also had lightning kill or injure enemies.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,860
    Just thinking that if lightning is a problem, then switching off the weather would seem to be the obvious answer. Am I wrong?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Just thinking that if lightning is a problem, then switching off the weather would seem to be the obvious answer. Am I wrong?

I've just realised there is a Weather option. I love this game. (I'm not gonna turn it off btw, I'd like to change how lightning works (electricity damage, maybe a bonus to Talos' followers... IDK) but nothing else).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I just re-tried my LoB SR+IR SCS Improved Ust Natha fight. I avoided the Wish bug using some custom items and spells to replicate the effects where needed. But then, around the same time as the first one, when demons had just started to enter the fight, I experienced a completely different bug, also relating to Wish.

I picked the Breach option, which had worked fine before (not in the sense that it Breached anybody, but in the sense that it didn't hurt), and then I got this.

I don't know what causes this bug, but I've seen it before. The bug basically erases all your party members, blacking out their portraits, killing them, and bringing the game to an end. Very thorough, and quite unstoppable despite any Death Wards you might cast.

Things weren't looking great either way, since my sorcerer had run out of places to hide from enemy spellcasters and their Remove Magic spells. At level 34, I still couldn't reliably survive two castings of Remove Magic, even though I could negate critical hits using the IR Adventurer's Robe, negate normal spells with Spell Trap and Greater Spell Deflection, and hit undispellable -24 AC and guaranteed saving throws with Moment of Prescience.

I still probably would have survived, since Improved Alacrity could bring it all back and the enemies would need multiple critical hits to kill my sorcerer, but the odds would not have been great.

The really weird thing is that Wishes during Time Stop actually caused temporary blocks on Improved Alacrity. I'd be unable to cast a spell, as if my aura was clouded, even with IA active. I had to resort to a custom spell to get my spellcasting working again, and CTRL-J to imitate teleporting across the map with SR's Dimension Jump.

It seems the genies from Wish can talk-block your characters!

I'm going to have another go at it, but this time, I think I'm going to avoid using Wish entirely. Instead, I'm just going to re-create the Wish spell entirely using custom spells and a random number generator, bypassing all the dialogues.

Positioning is going to be a nightmare, since there are multiple teleporting demons with Remove Magic spells. I think I'm going to end up backed into a corner, having my Seducer tank melee attacks while my sorcerer hides behind him, relying on (erroneously stacking) Wish Hardiness spells, Moment of Prescience, and Spell Trap to survive when Remove Magic dispels his normal buffs. From there, Improved Alacrity will bring back his normal buffs and Wish will keep producing a stream of Dragon's Breath and Summon Planetar spells while my Seducer spams Domination.

Funny thing is, a Fighter/Druid could easily solo the entire encounter by stacking resistances and slowly grinding away at the enemy. But my Charname is a sorcerer, which can't stand up to this encounter even at 8 million XP.

Unless I tweak my install so mage HLAs are level 9 spells instead of innate spells. Then I could just get infinite spells using Spell Trap and Comet, since SR's Comet is not party-friendly and strikes as a level 9 spell, and keep Improved Alacrity active indefinitely.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,328

Unless I tweak my install so mage HLAs are level 9 spells instead of innate spells. Then I could just get infinite spells using Spell Trap and Comet, since SR's Comet is not party-friendly and strikes as a level 9 spell, and keep Improved Alacrity active indefinitely.

Does Spell Trap absorb area effect spells in SR then?

@Grond0: Yes. All spell deflection spells work on area-effect spells in the most recent version of SR.
    It happened AGAIN.

The same bug as before, but this time, no Wish spell. The game suddenly ended with the whole party's portraits blacked out--but this time, we were all but guaranteed to win. Judging by the game files, there were only two major enemies left to go, and we were poised to take them down easily. The party was in a solid position: our corner of the map was crawling with friendly celestials, my sorcerer was fully buffed, everyone was rested, we were about to cast more Wish spells with Improved Alacrity, and the stronger enemies (the only ones with Remove Magic) were several rounds away, stuck behind a chokepoint and several rows of weaker enemies.

I don't understand what's going on. Is there an instant kill script somewhere in the Ust Natha fight?

For roleplaying purposes, I can't just walk away from this fight or try to escape; I have to kill every last drow in the city.
    It happened again. I managed to save in the middle of the fight, so it won't be as bad when I try again, but the bug seems to always happen at the same time: just a few rounds after the Nabassu and Glabrezu appear. It might be the Balor causing the problem, as it arrives just after the other demons.
    Okay. I'm going to post on my LoB run, but it will take a while. The game's not over yet, and I already have 1,500 screenshots.

800 of them came from the Ust Natha fight. There's going to be lots of stuff about that one.

But since I never finished posting on my Icewind Gate 2 run... I should mention that I did in fact complete it. Frisk, Asriel, and Chara made it through Shadows of Amn without reloading. It was actually surprisingly easy. We had some extremely dangerous gaps in our defenses--namely, almost no defense against stun or magic attacks--but IWD2's buffing spells gave us tremendous offensive output, plus incredibly low AC and near-immunity to normal magic. Static Charge didn't hurt either; it bypassed both MR and spell protections and had a -4 save penalty thanks to Spell Focus: Transmutation. Remove Magic could have been devastating, but careful positioning kept Frisk's buffs intact, and having only three party members meant that we were fairly resistant to Remove Magic, since our levels were rather high.

In lieu of a lengthy series of posts explaining each fight, I'm dumping all of my screenshots in some .zip files in case anybody wants to look at some of them. I wouldn't look through the whole bunch; there are too many and they wouldn't be as interesting without commentary.
  • IncasIncas Member Posts: 38
    Aasim said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't have anything to do with Wish. Just try to put your party in a non-hostile area (i.e. Temple District); take a long walk, go to school/work/sleep, when you come back, your party will be dead.
    Ugly, ugly, EE bug.

Do I understand this correctly, the PC dies in the EE's everywhere automatically on a timer?
    Incas said:

Aasim said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't have anything to do with Wish. Just try to put your party in a non-hostile area (i.e. Temple District); take a long walk, go to school/work/sleep, when you come back, your party will be dead.
    Ugly, ugly, EE bug.

Do I understand this correctly, the PC dies in the EE's everywhere automatically on a timer?
    Incas said:

Aasim said:

Ugly, ugly, EE bug.

This makes me think that if this is so, we need to know how to re-set the timer otherwise we won't be able to role-play as we want. This has happened to me, but I haven't known why.
    edited December 2016

Journal of Æthelberht, Inquisitor.

My first incarnation ended in Candlekeep at the hands of Mendas. an assassin from a mod that had foolishly been made even more powerful by the all-powerful god Shadowkeeper. However during that incarnation something was discovered. He seemed invincible to swords, but not to knives. My second incarnation therefore prevailed.
    Due to the deadliness of these attacks Gorion and I fled Candlekeep, sadly not soon enough as we were attacked by yet more assassins and he was killed.
    Heding southward I was able to help the transmuted Mellicamp. :)
    I made a short visit to Beregost before heading north where I killed an ogre.
    I then decided that southwards might be safer but after being attacked by two ogrillon and three over-zealous flaming fist mercenaries, began to wonder if I was right.
    I therefore switched back to my original plan and headed northwards again where I was attacked by yet another assassin.
    This time I was aided by some guards which made things somewhat easier.
    edited December 2016

This makes me think that if this is so, we need to know how to re-set the timer otherwise we won't be able to role-play as we want. This has happened to me, but I haven't known why.

@Aasim will probably respond himself, but I really don't think he intended to suggest there was any timer operating - simply that this is a relatively common bug and therefore just leaving the game running for a long period will result in it triggering.
    edited December 2016
    Grond0 said:

@Aasim will probably respond himself, but I really don't think he intended to suggest there was any timer operating - simply that this is a relatively common bug and therefore just leaving the game running for a long period will result in it triggering.
    Your answer causes me to wonder how that could happen. perhaps a time-out like our college computer had back in the 60s. Then it was in case there was a loop in your programming. Of course I had one in mine. :( In those days, a single badly punched card could cause chaos.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 1,003

Grond0 said:

Your answer causes me to wonder how that could happen. perhaps a time-out like our college computer had back in the 60s. Then it was in case there was a loop in your programming. Of course I had one in mine. :( In those days, a single badly punched card could cause chaos.
    @Wise_Grimwald Progammatically, all that needs to happen is one of the status effect flags that cause instant death needs to trigger. For example, there could be a routine that saves something to memory, but it overwrites the wrong portion of memory. And if it ever writes say 1 for a death effect (petrification, death, etc.) then the game detects the "death" and ends the game.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    Incas said:

Aasim said:

Ugly, ugly, EE bug.

No, no. It's just a bug; but afaik there isn't any connection to a specific creature animation, combat script or anything else. I remember few people from old Bioware thread having this issue (sorcerous Amon & Pooky battle), and when I started playing EEs it happened to me as well - one time I did exactly what I described above (just entered Temple District for the first time in the game, nothing can kill you there); went out, when I came back I had game over screen, with all party members' portraits gone.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 1,003
    Unfortunately, this bug does make playing no-reload on EE problematic - because if you die suddenly, you MIGHT think it's the bug, but really you stepped on trap, FoD, arrow, etc. but if you missed the combat window before the death happens...

For example, you may have had the game paused in BG 1 EE (so you thought), but accidentally double-tapped the space bar (meaning not really paused). You go to the bathroom, and come back dead, you could think it's the EE bug but was a wandering kobold arrow actually.
    This is clearly a bug. If you die normally without being chunked your portrait doesn't disappear. When that happens without even any attacks occurring it's a bug. As Aasim notes there were instances of the same or similar behaviour happening in the original game, but it was rare. I've seen it on quite a few occasions just in my own games in the EE ...
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    In vanilla or mod i have had animation problems with baalors before. The one in the svirfneblin village comes to mind where the game would crash due to a spell it would cast or something.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727

By the way, I figured out what was causing the erratic behavior from Wish.

1. After you pick a Wish option, the dialogue uses a script to makeyou, not the djinni, cast one of several different Wish spells. This overrides any other actions you were taking at the moment, including casting a different spell. However, if another djinni speaks to you quickly enough, he can get in before you cast the right spell, preventing it from happening entirely. The last Wish you make will always take effect (unless, of course, a completely different dialogue interrupts it), but the others can be talk-blocked.

2. The Wish spell that casts Breach on all enemies is erroneously rigged NOT to cast instantly. This means that if you select it, your character will attempt to cast Breach against everyone enemy in range, one after another, rather than casting 10 Breach spells simultaneously. That's why I saw my sorcerer using slow-casting abjuration spells at the end of a string of Wish dialogues.

Still no idea what causes the phantom death syndrome, though.

Report it on support.baldursgate.com. If you can provide as much evidence as possible, this bug will be detected and fixed. After all these years.

Upon leaving the Friendly Arms Inn, I continued northwards where I disposed of a widow's undead husband before agreeing to help Sonner. Though upon talking to Tenya, I changed my mind about helping him. I killed a nearby ankheg before dealing with Sonner and telling Tenya about it.

Upon discovering that my plan to go to Baldur's gate was a non-starter, I went to Beregost for supplies. There I was attacked by Karlat, who did not survive.
    I continued south to the carnival where I reted before continuing to the Nashkel mines. There I was attacked by another assassin called Zargos Flintblade. I killed him without too much trouble and then Greywolf.
    Heading west, I killed Vax and Zal.
    Needing more supplies, I returned to the Carnival where I bought supplies and killed Zordral.
    I then returned to the Gnoll Stronghold. There I killed Gnarl and Hairtooth.

I then killed some more assassins and some powerful gnolls.

Once I had plundeed the chest there, I returned to Beregost where I took on Silke who killed one of those together with herself using a lightning bolt.
    I then helped the Dudley family before returning to the area north of the gnoll stronghold where I killed a polar bear as well as helping Laurel.
    Upon returning to Nashkel, I killed Neira.
    I then went to the Lighthouse area where I was able to defeat some Sirene despite a rigid thinking spell.

I was able to make peace with some other sirene and then raided a cave where I killed three flesh golems.

I fought some pirates at the lighthouse. A spell called me to panic, but once that had worn off, I was able to deal with them. :)
    Upon killing another ankheg, I went up a level and then I went to the temple area and killed some powerful wolves.
    From there I proceeded to the basilisk area where I killed Lindin, and then Baerin and others.
    After that I killed medusae and basilisks. I also freed Tamah from petrification and killed Mutamin followed by more medusae.
    Upon going insearch of half-ogres, I killed Jemby and Teygnan.

I was well rewarded by Bjornin for killing the half-ogres
    To my horror, I was waylaid by a basilisk whilst in transit. Fortunately I had a potion of mirrored eyes that I had been saving for such an occasion.
    At some ruins, I killed Icharyd which was enough to level up again:
    I then killed Shoal and some sirene before going to the Wood of Sharp Teeth.
    There I was unable to save Nim Furlwing's hounds. He was quite upset.