Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    As far I am concerned, if the narrative didn't attempt to force me to care about her, she would only leave me apathetic. In BG1 her relative blandness sticks up a bit amongst the very colorful cast of crazies, but not enough to outright hate her. That's definitely BG2's doing.

The EE made me hate her a bit less, primarily because they gave me Neera, who is so loathsome she made Imoen look good in comparison.
    SkatanEmpyrialSirBatince
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Buttercheese

Not at all, that's me as well :p:D
    Though we are three sisters, perhaps that's why I would have preferred a "brother" companion?

Buttercheese
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Kurona said:

As far I am concerned, if the narrative didn't attempt to force me to care about her, she would only leave me apathetic. In BG1 her relative blandness sticks up a bit amongst the very colorful cast of crazies, but not enough to outright hate her. That's definitely BG2's doing.

The EE made me hate her a bit less, primarily because they gave me Neera, who is so loathsome she made Imoen look good in comparison.

We are singing from the same songsheet here.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Reminds me of the cool channel discussion by B&B... most of you are too young to know that though.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    In the game female (half) elves look weird in plate mail. And unarmored bard avatar looks like Kenny from South park.
    semiticgoddesswinters
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Except that I am a big sister, not a little one :p
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2017
    Nimran said:

You killed Garrick, you bastards!

That's something you'll be saying a lot if you take him.
    CrevsDaak
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Raduziel said:

Nimran said:

Raduziel said:

Nimran said:

no thats xan.
    DJKajuruCrevsDaak
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Durlag's tower is way harder than watcher's keep.
    SkatanRaduziellolienJuliusBorisov
  • sazziesazzie Member Posts: 103
    with imoen in BG1, i understand shes a last minute companion so she isnt as fleshed out as she could be and her cheerfulness isnt too bad.

what ruined her for me, as mentioned above, was BG2. in the prolouge she annoys me, then i lost IMO a competent thief for her which sucked and then the little imoenisms annoyed me through TOB.

i still generally take her in BG1 but BG2 is an internal debate as she annoys me that much.

i did like the idea about getting to choose her class. that would annoy me less if i could choose to keep her a pure thief as ive never dual classed anything in my life and would prefer to never have to ...
    JuliusBorisovDJKajuru
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I could rush trough Durlag's tower with some thinking and reload. Now in Watcher's Keep the torches at Carston's level gave me a headache.

But i think @DJKajuru is thinking about how hard is to kill all those nasty dopplegangers wearing noble dwarven comrades faces :'( In comparison Watcher's keep biggest challenge is the succubus with her alu-fiend sisters, which is an optional fight anyway.
    JuliusBorisovGrum
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Arctodus said:

The demon ? Protect yourself from fire and kite him. Easy.

Not saying that the Watcher's Keep is easier, but what about demon knight's power words?
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited January 2017
    They can be nasty, but, if you either protect yourself with death ward (it's very reasonable to have a level 7+ cleric at this point) or stay full health (aka over 60), it should not be a problem.

Approach him with a character with undispellable fire protection (2 fire rings, etc...), take his initial dispel + fireball, then summon lots of anything (skeletons, hobgoblins, etc...) and have the rest of your decent range attackers have a go at him and he'll eventually fall. Surrounded by many summons, he usually doesn't bother casting spells and goes melee. Renew the summons once in a while and he'll fall.

It does take some preparation, but, all in all, it is not a very hard fight. I never had problem with this dude. It's true though that, with the same level of preparation, the 4 warders and the chess match are not much harder...
    edited January 2017
    Power Word : Stun is not a problem. Since I'm not meleeing the guy, if someone gets hit by that, I just... wait it out. If I lose some hp to PW: Kill, well, that's what healing potions are for. I never seen him cast multiple PW:Kill in a row to take down someone. That's why, yes, you only need Death Ward.

Plus, the guy is all alone, in the middle of a room where you can surround him from many angles. He's at a big disadvantage.

I'm just speaking from experience here : I never had problem with him. The only time he really hurted me was the first time I encountered him. He threw one of those heavy-damage fireball right into my party and killed like 4 characters. I adapted, seen that it is useless to melee him, so I threw a lot of summons his way and took him down at range. Since, this strategy never failed me.

On the contrary, in WK maze, if you have a caster heavy party in one of those dead-magic/wild-magic zones surrounded by demons for example, a lot of your options just vanished. WK maze is not impossible, I just think it's harder than Durlag's Tower.
    lolienDJKajuru
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Well, I maintain that it's silly to try and go through TOB without a fighter, since they get so powerful late-game with whirlwind and, more importantly, the ability to get through magic resistance which becomes ubiquitous by then. As for an all-caster party, they'd be just as screwed by the 85 percent magic resistance the demon knight has, so it's not like they could readily get through either the Keep or the Tower. If magic won't work and summons won't work, a caster party just can't get past things. Ironically, they may be less versatile than fighters in this game, in a way.
    While I totally agree with everything said, for instance that it complicates your life to go without a fighter past a certain point in the game, you don't have to carry an all-wizards party for the maze to be harsh. If you have only one or two fighters, it can get complicated to have "sitting ducks" (aka mages in dead-magic zone) for these rooms.

I also think that playing styles has something to do with our disagreement. I usually like to rely on lots of summon to take down enemies. Something you can't use in dead-magic zones, but on the other hand really shines against the Demon Knight. Plus, I play with SCS and ATweaks. These two makes for some nasty, nasty demons. This combination makes the WK a lot harder.
    CrevsDaak
    I don't know how popular this is or not, but I don't think we ever heard the entirety of Alaundo's prophecy, and we needed to. I mean, all we really know was in it from the beginning was, well, "The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown in their passage," plus some more stuff about "Their deaths shall feed the father" and maybe one or two other snippets, but never all of this at once that I can remember. If we had, I highly doubt the original plan would have included talking about one exceptional Bhaalspawn rising above the others to put an end to the "chaos", which is what TOB tells us is also there. But since I don't think we'd ever heard about the prophecy singling out any one scion before, it feels like an Ass pull.
    semiticgoddessThacoBellCrevsDaakAyiekie
    I always listen to the chanters singing their verses in Candlekeep. It is only a bit more, but quite informative.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaaksazzie
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    lroumen said:

I always listen to the chanters singing their verses in Candlekeep. It is only a bit more, but quite informative.

I always thought the Voice of the North referenced Ichasaract.

please tell me I wasn't wrong :(
    I have no idea, but it always sounds cool
    The Chanters reference a couple of things, but other than the Time of Troubles and Alaundo's prophecy, I don't recognize the other two mentioned here: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Candlekeep_Chanters

"Fighter" is a stupid name for a class.

Maybe. All I know is that we should have kept "mage" and "thief" instead of switching to "wizard" and "rogue", especially given the latter's propensity to get spelled wrong.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakThacoBellArtona