Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity 2:Deadfire announced spoilers for pillars1 ABSOLUTELY NO PILLARS 2 SPOILERS PLS

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Fardragon said:

So long as they don't have "build a huge boring pointless dungeon" as a stretch goal.

Suddenly with the new game that dungeon has got a lot of meaning...
    Had. Past tense. Seeing as both Caed Nua as well as the Endless Paths of Od Nua get scrapped by a god with bad sleeping posture. Even the Adra Dragon will get squashed with a mere footstep of Big Ol' Eothas. So no need to even start the Master Below questline.
    Except that it is a fun dungeon with some neat lore.
    wubble
  • therdretherdre Member Posts: 79
    edited January 2017
    The dream would be if they made a game with modern graphics like in PoE and whats going to be in PoE2 and actually have it be a spiritual successor to BG/BG2/IWD I'd literally go to their office and throw money at them

Edit: Good thing we have Beamdog :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    wubble
  • therdretherdre Member Posts: 79
    For sure, there is definately a big demand still for isometric RPGs
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakGod
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited January 2017
    Not only for isometric RPG's, mind you, but isometric games as a whole. Over the past few years there has been an uprise in isometric adventure, horror, sci-fi and even simulation games as well.

As for PoE 2 getting funded so fast: a big factor for that is that fig allows individuals and companies to invest into ongoing campaigns, thus becoming sponsors. This is what it makes different from kickstarter or other crowdfunding sites.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakwubble
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Maybe they just want to make sure that PoE2 doesn't disappoint them as well :p
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak
    Girewankanisatha
    mlnevese
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    The only thing I am concerned with is the absence of Chris Avellone. After all he was behind the story for PoE (and Tyranny as well, afaik). Still, very excited about PoE2 (and so happy to see Eder again :) )
    God
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Great to see it funded in under 24 hours. Great news for the isometric RPGs.
    [Deleted User]
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited January 2017
    Gonna pledge. I kind of regreted not doing that during first Pillars of Eternity.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakGod[Deleted User]
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovGirewankanisatha
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovwubbleGirewan
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I loved the parts, but not the whole. But you could turn into a bear! I hope the story is more compact this time plus bears so I'm still excited.
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    O_Bruce said:

And I pledged. My sins from the past can be erased now.

• batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited January 2017
    I wonder how they will do subclasses for priests, since that stretch goal will be reached soon.

Anyway that is great to spice up the dull fighter and barbarian base class.
    wubble
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Shandyr said:

Remember, if you invest in a game - in contrast to just pledging - then you as an investor expect to get money back. You actually want to make money by investing in the game.

So if you invest in a game you expect it to be a success.

How can you expect Pillars of Eternity 2 to be a success if it's predecessor is disappointing on so many levels?

As as investor, all you care about is if it sells well. You don't care if it's a "worthy spiritual successor". Just how many sales were made and the average price per sale.

Take Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad. They were considered "disappointing" critically, but they sold $1.5 billion in movie tickets. Is Warner Bros fretting about the critical reception? No, they're happily counting their returns and letting Zack Snyder make Justice League.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Mirandel said:

The only thing I am concerned with is the absence of Chris Avellone. After all he was behind the story for PoE (and Tyranny as well, afaik). Still, very excited about PoE2 (and so happy to see Eder again :) )

chris only really worked on the rough draft of durance and gm. he was not the main writer. he also had nothing to do with tyranny as he left the company by that point.
    God
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Yikes, 41 posts in less than 12 hours, I knew this'd be a hot topic but not quite like this.

I loved playing pillars, because as much as I love the BG series due to the fact that I first played it as a kid and grew up repeatedly playing it (or at least trying to) I can't separate my feelings for the game from my nostalgia and I'll never have that magical feeling of playing for the first time again.

With pillars I can have that feeling and now I'm actually good at games (as opposed to when I played from ages 3-15) so I could have that feeling of wonder and awe while still making progress. it was magical in an all new sense for me to play a game that was at the same time incredibly familiar and comfortable and also very new, it challenged my brain with both it's combat system and all the reems of new dialogue, especially the npcs with backstories, even though I didn't read all or even most of them they put huge quantities of depth into the game.

I loved the characters, eder immediately struck me as the sort of bloke that you'd be best friends with and could rely on through thick and thin. Pallegina was torn between obeying the people she had sworn to serve and had worked incredibly hard for to gain her position and doing what she felt was the right thing. Aloth was incredibly secretive about the fact that he had served the leaden key and was conflicted between his friends and the past he was trying to hide, plus the fact that he saw the atrocities the leaden key had commited. Durance was a bit of a knobhead, he really wouldn't be nice to be around he was unpleasant he wound people up and he was very eothasist, but even with all there were still times when he made me chuckle or he said something nice which showed that he was a shade of grey not just evil.

I think my favourite bit by far were the interactive storyboards, which both reminded me of the old bg loading screens and felt more like an actual tabletop rpg to interact with. It seemed to me like a fantastic was of bringing in a sense of player choice to the game as crpgs tend to be fairly linear in that respect.

I'm planning on doing another playthrough of PoE but I have to finish my current playthrough of BG1 BG2 ToB, and icewind dale, and deponia. And I have to do real life things like getting a job. and I'm going to dm a campaign, and I'm already in two (may have to quit one though).

It's going to be a while till I can get through all of that... :(

oh and Thanks @Shandyr for pointing that out for me, fixed it now.
    ThacoBellFinneousPJ[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov