Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @markzaku Well, one hundred pages after and now I'm impressed.
    markzakuDaevelonProont
  • lnstructor_lnstructor_ Member Posts: 76

Did you know that the Demonknight in Durlag's Tower is Lawful Good? In his file, his alignment is Chaotic Evil, but he wear the Helmet of Opposite Alignment, changing it to Lawful Good.

But he actually wear the helmet? Isn't it in his inventory?
    ThacoBell
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited June 2017
    No, he wears the helmet. His alignment without the helmet is Chaotic Evil, so it makes him Lawful Good.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848

Did you know that the Demonknight in Durlag's Tower is Lawful Good? In his file, his alignment is Chaotic Evil, but he wear the Helmet of Opposite Alignment, changing it to Lawful Good.

But he actually wear the helmet? Isn't it in his inventory?
    What exactly is his file name? (The one at the bottom) I would like to investigate as mine doesn't drop the helm.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Did you know that you get the the "Master Thief" Steam achievement for stealing the telescope from the High House of Wonders even if you got caught stealing it?
    semiticgoddesslolienWinterisleProont
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    markzaku said:

http://i.imgur.com/CYGdBh3.png

Apologies if this was already posted -- I haven't read the whole thread -- but I recently discovered that you can one-shot the sleeping green dragon in SoD if you hit it with a throwing dagger.

Huh, gonna have to try that as I depend on and like throwin daggers alot.

Well that takes guts to find out. :* Goin up to a dragon and throwin a lil dagger at this big armor plated critter.
    Maybe it's a nod to Bard in The Hobbit with Smaug. B)
    mlneveseMontresor_SPProont
    Zaghoul said:

markzaku said:

http://i.imgur.com/CYGdBh3.png

Apologies if this was already posted -- I haven't read the whole thread -- but I recently discovered that you can one-shot the sleeping green dragon in SoD if you hit it with a throwing dagger.

Huh, gonna have to try that as I depend on and like throwin daggers alot.

Well that takes guts to find out. :* Goin up to a dragon and throwin a lil dagger at this big armor plated critter.
    Maybe it's a nod to Bard in The Hobbit with Smaug. B)
    I have heard that it has to be a non-magical throwing dagger. I Haven't tested it yet.
    ZaghoulProont

Did you know that you can get a second Boots of Speed in Baldur's Gate 1? Lothander has it; you can kill him and Marek before they talk to you with no consequence.

You can also kill him at the inn. That way you can get the Tome of Understanding as well.
    Montresor_SPProont
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343

Did you know that you can get a second Boots of Speed in Baldur's Gate 1? Lothander has it; you can kill him and Marek before they talk to you with no consequence.

You can also kill him at the inn. That way you can get the Tome of Understanding as well.
    as I recall you can still pickpocket the Tome. Even og you dont do the quest
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

as I recall you can still pickpocket the Tome. Even og you dont do the quest
    You can even pickpocket the geas scroll and still request the Tome.
    tbone1StummvonBordwehrProont
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    DJKajuru said:

Just adding that from BG2 on your way to the end of ToB you'll have the opportunity to get five (pairs of) Boots of Speed and one Leather Armor that doubles the wearer's speed. Here's where you can find each:

1- From the body of the dwarven thief who attacks you in Haer Dalis' Planar Prison
    2- By collecting 15 mithril tokens at the third level of Spellhold's Asylum, and placing them on a hidden machine.
    3- From Illasera's body in ToB.
    4- From Lazarus Librarius in Saradush
    5-At the Tankard Tree in Saradush
    6- From Gromnir's guard , the leather armor +6 .

Et voila, your whole party can speed run throughout the maps.
    There's a sixth pair, too.

They're on Renal Bloodscalp. You can't* kill him in Chapter 2/3 or else you'll get attacked by an unkillable assassin who instakills you with every hit, but if you side with the Shadow Thieves in Chapter 3 you can come back in Chapter 6 and kill him without consequences.

*"can't" here means "aren't supposed to", but as with most things there are exploits to get around developer intent. I've feebleminded Renal and killed him without consequence in Chapter 2, for instance.
    Montresor_SPDJKajuruAbi_DalzimProont
    edited June 2017
    SomeSort said:

DJKajuru said:

*"can't" here means "aren't supposed to", but as with most things there are exploits to get around developer intent. I've feebleminded Renal and killed him without consequence in Chapter 2, for instance.

Doing that isn't an exploit. It's using your brains. Outmaneuvering the devs intent is a positive thing to do. It makes the game more realistic. This is why I dislike them changing the game when people discover ways of doing things that they don't like. Killing Tazok at the bandit camp and killing the demonknight at the top of Durlag's tower are two cases that I can think of. Why shouldn't you be able to kill them? It doesn't matter that they need to be alive later in the game. Surely everyone has heard of resurrection spells.

semiticgoddesslolien

Doing that isn't an exploit. It's using your brains. Outmaneuvering the devs intent is a positive thing to do. It makes the game more realistic. This is why I dislike them changing the game when people discover ways of doing things that they don't like. Killing Tazok at the bandit camp and killing the demonknight at the top of Durlag's tower are two cases that I can think of. Why shouldn't you be able to kill them? It doesn't matter that they need to be alive later in the game. Surely everyone has heard of resurrection spells.

I would say it's less "using my brain" and more "sequentially trying a string of arbitrary actions until I happen across one that, for reasons unknown and unknowable, yields the desired result".

You can't kill Renal because attacking him results in help being called. Casting a spell on Renal to make him too stupid to call for help shouldn't magically make everyone else in the room to stupid to call for help once you start bashing his face in, too. The Feeblemind trick really, really, really shouldn't work in this instance. But it does.
    Montresor_SPEmpyrial
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Question (related to the Renal Bloodscalp murder trick) - why doesn't casting Feeblemind on a neutral target break neutrality?
    semiticgoddess
    @Montresor_SP Hmmm, I've only ever seen him drop normal Chill mercenary equipment. The Arch-druid Amarande has the +2 big, er, Mighty Oak B) .
    Montresor_SPlolienProont
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    @Zaghoul Dammit, they are in the same area so I may have had some ... unfortunate association and got them mixed up! :blush:
    ZaghoullolienProont
    @Montresor_SP Hey, with a game world full of so many characters, it happens. ;)
    Montresor_SP
    Pokota said:

Question (related to the Renal Bloodscalp murder trick) - why doesn't casting Feeblemind on a neutral target break neutrality?

This one is actually easy to provide an in-universe justification for, IMO. It depends on whether you think of Saving Throws as a passive resistance or an active one.

If they're an active resistance, then when you cast a "Save or Else" spell on a neutral character, they will realize they're the target of the spell and actively shrug off its effects. This should understandably piss them off and cause them to go hostile.

If saves are a passive resistance, though, then they wouldn't necessarily be aware that they were making the save. They'd just be thinking "Weird, what the heck is that guy mumbling about over there? Is he trying to cast a spell? I wonder who he's casting it on." Unless and until they actually failed the save, they'd have no reason to go hostile on you.

Now, with something like Blind, once they failed a save they'd have a very good reason to go hostile. It's not hard to connect the dots between "that guy was casting a spell" and "suddenly I can't see anything". And I'd imagine that would kind of piss off the recipient enough to attack. Indeed, this is exactly how spells like Blind and Charm work; successful saves result in no hostilities, failed saves result in hostilities.

But the defining feature of Feeblemind is that it essentially makes you Too Stupid to Live(tm). When the spell fails, the recipient doesn't realize they were the target. When the spell succeeds, the recipient is too stupid to realize that they were affected by a spell. Hence, no hostile response.

If you really want to go into it, successfully casting feeblemind should probably make *nearby* NPCs go hostile as they suddenly see their friend turned into a slack-jawed idiot and connect the dots. But if there aren't any NPCs near enough, hostility wouldn't necessarily ensue. If you're standing guard on one end of the promenade, it'd be hard to tell the difference between feeblemindedness and just general guard duty from your partner across the way.

Given engine limitations, I don't know if it'd be possible to code something like causing NPCs within a certain radius of the target to go hostile provided they also have LoS on the caster, but I suspect it wouldn't. So you're left with a version of Feeblemind that never causes anyone to go hostile.

(Which I'm okay with because it makes for some tremendously entertaining cheese. Feeblemind cheese = best cheese.)
    ArtonalolienProont