Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I sense a storm of puns is coming...
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited June 2017
    Well, I knew that beer jackets protect from the cold, but beer isn't a spirit. :D I haven't checked whether this is true, but if so it's a rum do.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    An Inquisitor's Dispel Magic maxes out at level 20, when it is caster level 40. Higher levels don't make the spell any stronger, and Legacy of Bhaal enemies will still sometimes resist it.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    DJKajuru said:

Did you know that if you cast Spirit Armor on someone multiple times, the Save vs. Spell bonuses stack? This is true in BG:EE, BG2:EE, and IWD:EE.

I guess it's because you're protected by a whole bunch of spirits. =D
    Whiskey, vodka, gin, and (surprisingly) Benedictine as the fourth.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    tbone1 said:

DJKajuru said:

Did you know that if you cast Spirit Armor on someone multiple times, the Save vs. Spell bonuses stack? This is true in BG:EE, BG2:EE, and IWD:EE.

Shouldn't it make you vulnerable to fire spells?
    mlnevese said:

tbone1 said:

DJKajuru said:

Shouldn't it make you vulnerable to fire spells?
    Yes, but you won't feel them until the next morning. [Full disclosure: I saw the Indy 500 from the Snake Pit five times back in the 80s.]

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2017
    Did you know that there is a board game set in Baldur's Gate that is coming out? Well, more specifically its a game based off of Betrayal at House on the Hill.

http://geekandsundry.com/betrayal-at-baldurs-gate-brings-house-on-the-hill-to-dungeons-and-dragons/

(I posted a thread to discuss it here).
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183

By Helm man what are you doing

Chivalry!
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798

An Inquisitor's Dispel Magic maxes out at level 20, when it is caster level 40. Higher levels don't make the spell any stronger, and Legacy of Bhaal enemies will still sometimes resist it.

Is this true for wizards/clerics as well? I always just assumed dispel magic was the one exception to spells scaling to 20.
    @TheElf: For all other classes, Dispel Magic scales with level indefinitely. Hypothetically, if you set your mage's level to 1,000 and your cleric's level to 999, your mage would have a 55% chance of dispelling the cleric's buffs with Dispel Magic or Remove Magic, just like your mage was level 7 and your cleric was level 6.

This is because the Dispel Magic opcode, opcode 58, automatically takes your caster level into account, no matter what it is. But it's also possible to rig opcode 58 to cast at a specific level, and for the Inquisitor, the Dispel Magic innate ability is actually 20 different sub-spells, each with its own parameters. That's how most spells scale with level: they're divided up into multiple different sub-spells, each of which has a different magnitude and/or duration, and your caster level determines which sub-spell gets cast.

But in the original IE games (with the exception of Icewind Dale), spells nearly always stop scaling at level 20. There are only 20 different sub-spells at maximum for any given spell, and level 20 is the highest one. An Inquisitor's Dispel Magic is set up the same way: at level 1, opcode 58 is set to cast at level 2; at level 15, opcode 58 is set to cast at level 30; and at level 20, opcode 58 is set to cast at level 40.

But there are no sub-spells above level 20 for an Inquisitor's Dispel Magic, so it no longer gets any stronger, no matter how many levels your Inquisitor gains. You'd need to create more sub-spells to make it scale beyond level 20.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Can a multiplier be hacked into opcode 58's parameters, so that Inquisitor Dispel continues to scale past level 20 without having to make 20 more sub-spells?
    edited June 2017
    @Pokota: Nope.

Conceivably, you could use opcode 191 to do much the same thing. Opcode 191 modifies your caster level. However, to my knowledge, it only works on mage spells and cleric spells, not innate abilities. And giving +1 to casting level for innate abilities for an Inquisitor would also boost the power of their Bhaalspawn DUHM ability, and also the modified Slayer Change spell from Tactics.

But you could turn an Inquisitor's Dispel Magic spell into a cleric spell, but still have it cast from the Innate Abilities menu (a spell's type and the place where a spell shows up are actually two different parameters, so you can have an innate ability that appears in your spellbook and a mage spell that appears in your innate abilities). Then you could give your Inquisitor +1 to cleric caster level every level, which means Dispel Magic could be cast at double the Inquisitor's level by default, though you'd have to delete 19 of the sub-spells and tweak the remaining 1 sub-spell. And since Inquisitors can't cast cleric spells anyway, this method would have no side effects. But you might need to give the Inquisitor an additional +7 or +10 bonus at level 1, because paladin spells are hard-coded to be cast at a lower level than normal cleric spells (same goes for their Turn Undead ability).

You might have to give it a special flag to make the Dispel Magic spell ignore silence and spell failure, since making it a cleric would make it susceptible to those things. The only side effect would be that it would also ignore spell failure that is applied to innate abilities, which normally would block an Inquisitor's Dispel Magic. But I'm not sure such effects are present in the unmodded game.

Or, you could just create an extra 30 sub-spells to extend it to level 50.

Seriously. Creating the sub-spells would be easy; all you'd have to do is copy and paste the existing sub-spells and change two numbers, 30 times over. It would take less than half the time I spent writing this comment.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

In Baldur's Gate 1, the revenant says that the dagger it wants (the Dagger +2) is the dagger of the one who murdered him/her. Specifically, the revenant says that it's the dagger of Alatos. Alatos is the leader of the Baldur's Gate thieves' guild.

I was never sure why giving him the dagger caused him to 'rest', as I thought the revenant was supposed to continue on UNTIL they killed their killer.
    Anyway, I often give him his dagger back and then proceed to help ol rev out by approaching Alatos and tellin him to 'go scratch'. Just because I he wants to set me up, if nothin else, hehheh.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @semiticgod True, very true. I spect it would take alot for the ol rev to crutch his behind ALL the way up yonder, all the while trying not to get 'toe up from the flo up' in the process. All those meddling 'venturin types n such. B)

Here's a useful trick to calculate how much a dice roll will be on average:

Say you have a roll XdY. The average is equal to ½(Y + 1) * X

So for example, let's compare long swords and bastard swords. A long sword on average deals

½(8 + 1) * 1 = 4.5 damage

A bastard sword on average deals

½(4 + 1) * 2 = 5 damage

So you can see why 2d4 damage is better than 1d8. Now let's compare spells:

At level 1, Magic Missile on average deals

½(4 + 1) * 1 + 1 = 3.5 damage

whereas Larloch's Minor Drain deals 4 damage in addition to giving the mage bonus hit points. So at levels 1 and 2, Larloch's Minor Drain is actually better than Magic Missile.

Whilst this is true, You are twice as likely to get a roll of 8 from a long sword as you are with a bastard sword. There is also the type of damage done to take into consideration, whether you can backstab with a weapon etc. etc. Which weapon is best is not always easy to decide particularly when there are bonus effects to take into consideration.

With the spells, the damage caused might not be the prime objective. Getting rid of mirror image might be far more important.
    edited June 2017
    @semiticgod You've been playing this game too long if you actually remember that. :D

Whilst this is true, You are twice as likely to get a roll of 8 from a long sword as you are with a bastard sword.

Uh, yeah, you are also twice as likely to get a 2 and infinitely more likely to get a 1.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Pokota said:

Today I learned you can pickpocket ankheg shells.

You can. But not from Ankhegs.
    What if you charm them first?
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

Charm them with what? There isn't a charm monster spell in this game, and I don't think charm animal works on them. I guess you could do it in BG2 with those Illithid control collars used on one of the ones in the Windspear Hills, but that's kind of stupid.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2017

Charm them with what? There isn't a charm monster spell in this game, and I don't think charm animal works on them. I guess you could do it in BG2 with those Illithid control collars used on one of the ones in the Windspear Hills, but that's kind of stupid.

The Nymph/Algernon cloak, Mental Domination, Domination. There are probably a few ways to go about doing it.

(not sure its worth it but it is doable)
    elminster said:

Did you know that there are shadows (as well as a werewolf) along the sides of the illusionary circus tent.

I always just talk to the Genie on the bridge and then proceed in. I didn't even know about them until today (when I was checking the area file and noticed them).

I discovered that a few years ago, but the ones that I found were in the opposite direction. I still don't bother with them though.