Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    My favorite character level name comes from the Assassin. At level 3, they are known as the fearsome Waghalter. The Ranger Knight takes a close second.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I noticed that on that list a level 8 fighter is called a Superhero.
  • CheckmateSandersonCheckmateSanderson Member Posts: 50

A couple of tidbits from my last trip down Beregost way...

- If you CTRL-Q a Beregost courtesan in to your party she will gain a level. (clicking the Level Up button will crash the game)

Levelling up any character who has been brought into your party using CTRL-Q will crash the game.
    Yeah, I'm not very technical so I had to learn this the hard way. I assume all NPCs are linked to an XP table which is why they can all effectively trigger the 'Level Up' portrait icon & sound effect?

Nevertheless, the courtesan is the only one I've seen which can "level" at 0xp.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    I'd forgotten that if you CTRL-Q someone that it is possible to have in your party then there is no problem. I haven't tried it, but I expect that if an NPC left the party for reputation reasons, you could CTRL-Q them back in and recover their possessions before they decided to leave again.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Incidentally, I did a CTRL+Q playthrough a few years ago. Probably the most fun I've had in BG2.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Sounds just like the Dutch onschuldig... which i think has been used similarly in the past.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    @semiticgod Is there a maximum number of entries the .2da tables for levelling up can have, or some other major technical reason why CTRL-Q Levelups can't be modded in? Aside from the number of classes, I don't see why we can't work around the crash.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Pokota: No maximum to my knowledge, but since there would be dozens of numbers to input for dozens upon dozens of classes, it's far easier to just assign the CTRL-Q target an existing class.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Pokota said:

@semiticgod Is there a maximum number of entries the .2da tables for levelling up can have, or some other major technical reason why CTRL-Q Levelups can't be modded in? Aside from the number of classes, I don't see why we can't work around the crash.

You could just use EEKeeper to give your new party member a real character class.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    Wilson’s soundset is stored in a file called RASAAD.BIF, indicating…
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    elminster said:

Some journal entries and responses are written using singular words like "I" while others are written using words like "we" and "us".

This inconsistency makes writing mods consistent with the original games style more difficult :(

Yeah, the first instance I thought of when this was mentioned is when one gets to Nashkel. The two basic responses both referring to more than one person, even when one is alone. It just sounds strange unless playing a CHARNAME that is a little 'off', as I do ;) sometimes.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    edited July 2017
    That happens a lot both in vanilla and in mods. :( What was needed in both cases was a counter to see how many were in the party, and if less than two write I instead of we, or thou instead of you for those languages such as French where a different pronoun is used for you singular and you plural. Not too difficult, it just needed a bit of fore-sight.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on