Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    Zaghoul said:

You know how, after the intro level of Siege of Dragonspear,

you lose all your money? Well, there's a way to spend it all before you lose it. Talk to the Flaming Fist cleric who accompanies you throughout the dungeon. She has a temple store where she sells lots of nice stuff, including 10 Potions of Extra Healing, 20 Elixirs of Health, 5 Potions of Clarity, 5 Scrolls of Greater Restoration, 5 scrolls of Raise Dead, 5 scrolls of Chaotic Commands, and some other great items. You can pour your fortune into that store.
    Well that and 'helping your companions slip into something more comfortable'.
    Stripping your companions naked cause they run off with all equipped items >:) . Still, feels a bit weird doing that (sometimes, depends on my CHARNAME) o:)
    You therefore sell all your loot at Sorcerous Sundries and spend it on potions, missiles scrolls etc. Strip Ulgoth's Beard of all its loot and buy all the expensive items from Thalantyr etc.

Huh. I used a TOB character once, charmed Gorion into attacking Tethtoril, and used Time Stop + Mind Flayer to take out Teth. I kind of forgot about Obe as I killed everyone else, though.

The problem is, how do you then leave Candlekeep and achieve your destiny?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

Zaghoul said:

You know how, after the intro level of Siege of Dragonspear,

you lose all your money? Well, there's a way to spend it all before you lose it. Talk to the Flaming Fist cleric who accompanies you throughout the dungeon. She has a temple store where she sells lots of nice stuff, including 10 Potions of Extra Healing, 20 Elixirs of Health, 5 Potions of Clarity, 5 Scrolls of Greater Restoration, 5 scrolls of Raise Dead, 5 scrolls of Chaotic Commands, and some other great items. You can pour your fortune into that store.
    Well that and 'helping your companions slip into something more comfortable'.
    Stripping your companions naked cause they run off with all equipped items >:) . Still, feels a bit weird doing that (sometimes, depends on my CHARNAME) o:)
    You therefore sell all your loot at Sorcerous Sundries and spend it on potions, missiles scrolls etc. Strip Ulgoth's Beard of all its loot and buy all the expensive items from Thalantyr etc.
    @Wise_Grimwald Your darn right, hehheh. First time in SoD, those dirty rotten so n so's ran off with all the good stuff. Ida hunted them down if I could. :'( .

This Herbs n Potions mod I just loaded adds all KINDS of goodies to stock up on now. :)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

Huh. I used a TOB character once, charmed Gorion into attacking Tethtoril, and used Time Stop + Mind Flayer to take out Teth. I kind of forgot about Obe as I killed everyone else, though.

The problem is, how do you then leave Candlekeep and achieve your destiny?
    You don't. It's game over. It's just fun figuring out how to kill those guys.
    @OlvynChuru Hah, I can see that. I'll have to admit, while early in the playing of the game for the first few times, it took a while to learn it was dangerous to do certain things in CK, Getting roasted by Gorion in particular just seems to show how much of a Harper he was.

Gorion at the next Harper meeting:
    'Yeah, that was my adopted boy, he only stole a potion from another monk, but I just electocuted him on the spot and burnt his body from the inside out' with a bolt of lightning, no worries guys'. 'Next topic please'

Nice Gorion, REAL nice... :s
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I wonder if anyone ever makes the connection between Gorion's rather drastic ways of child-raising and the recent war between Amn and Baldur's Gate, and the resultant rise of Sarevok from street urchin to Lord of Murder. :wink:
    Also, if you get caught stealing from a container in Candlekeep, the watcher will let you go if you give him all your gold. You can't do this if you have no gold. I discovered this accidentally a long time ago when I opened the wrong chest in the barracks while looking for Hull's sword.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @OlvynChuru: What if you only have 1 gold? Would it still work? Because if it does, you could steal everything besides pure gold and make it up by simply selling a single dagger to get 1 gold before each time.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    In the opening of The Black Pits 2, the bartender makes some not so subtle references if you stick around long enough. One of them goes "Let me know if anyone ruptures a knee. The local guard captain is short of men at arms".
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

In the opening of The Black Pits 2, the bartender makes some not so subtle references if you stick around long enough. One of them goes "Let me know if anyone ruptures a knee. The local guard captain is short of men at arms".

So all you need to get out of gladiator duty is to take an arrow to the knee? Damn, if only our characters grasped the implications of that.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Did you know: Fox Fire is a term used by many cultures to describe Bioluminescent Mushrooms. Fox Fire is also known as Fairy Fire.

Drow have Fairy Fire as an innate spell, possibly they named the spell that calls forth green and purple lights after the light given off by bioluminescent fungi in the Underdark?
    In the 5th Edition D&D Monster Manual, the Tarrasque has a stat total of 96.

So, if you've ever rolled a 97 or higher in Baldur's Gate (I know I'm comparing different editions here), know that you have a character with better stats than the Tarrasque.

@OlvynChuru: What if you only have 1 gold? Would it still work? Because if it does, you could steal everything besides pure gold and make it up by simply selling a single dagger to get 1 gold before each time.

1 gold works from my experience. I make SURE to keep at least 1gp, if fishin round there. Stealin out of sight at night helps as well. ;)

I'm afraid that my evil characters do that all the time. Let's face it, it's the criminals that know the law! When I interupted a smash and grab of a jewelery store, the first thing that the thief did was throw down his hammer so that he couldn't be accused of armed robbery. Only then did he run away.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Today I learnt to things.
    First, wild surge can also happens while casting spells *from the scroll*. And second - arrow of dispeling can be surprisingly helpful tool to remove negative effect from your party members.
    Artona said:

Today I learnt to things.
    First, wild surge can also happens while casting spells *from the scroll*. And second - arrow of dispeling can be surprisingly helpful tool to remove negative effect from your party members.

I have always used arrows of dispelling more on party members than upon enemies. The really dangerous times are when your party members fight each other.
    Did you know that, in Baldur's Gate 1, Sarevok has his own class? He is a level 15 Sarevok.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

Did you know that, in Baldur's Gate 1, Sarevok has his own class? He is a level 15 Sarevok.

Yes, because his level would otherwise break the level cap in that game.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Did you know that there is an Elminster and Volo class. But neither get used.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    And a Drizzt class, too. But in the old days I used to near infinity them back to their original classes.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Tangent: It always confounds me that Volo is a wizard and not a Bard.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Why can't he be a Bard disguising himself as a Wizard? Illusions can do more than create mirror images, yo.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651

Did you know that there are lots of unused voice-acted narrator messages? Here is a list of all of the messages, both used and unused, in the order they appear in the game's files.

1. You must gather your party before venturing forth.
    2. This door is locked.
    3. You have detected a magical trap.
    4. You have detected a mechanical trap.
    5. You have detected a trap.
    6. You cannot go there.
    7. The trap has been disarmed.
    8. This store is overstocked with that item.
    9. Your sleep has been interrupted; monsters are about.
    10. You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself.
    11. This container is locked.
    12. You don't have enough gold to purchase the selected item.
    13. This item is cursed and cannot be removed.
    14. Your spell has been disrupted.
    15. Your main character has been killed. You must restart the game.
    16. You may not rest here; either find an inn, or rest outside.
    17. You cannot rest; there are monsters nearby.
    18. You cannot save at this time.
    19. You may not rest when your party is scattered.
    20. The main character has died.
    21. You have rested.
    22. You cannot cast this spell; you have been silenced.
    23. Your spell has been disrupted. [slightly different tone of voice]
    24. Weapon has broken.
    25. This item is cursed; you cannot remove it.
    26. Guards have been called.
    27. This character cannot use this item.
    28. We have detected that you are using a pirated copy. Your hard drive will be formatted in ten seconds. Thank you.
    29. Red wizard needs food badly.
    30. Blue elf is about to die.
    31. Do not shoot the potions.
    32. Yellow warrior shot the food.
    33. The party has been killed. You must restart the game.

Somebody needs to incorporate this in a mod....gauntlet references and all :D
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    If you incorporated all of those BG would almost start to feel like Bastion. It'd be cool to try sometime.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    SomeSort said:

If you incorporated all of those BG would almost start to feel like Bastion. It'd be cool to try sometime.

I think it would look ligue a roguelike game actually...
    Did you know that the ogre assassin Larze has more HP than Sarevok?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

He is indeed one of the toughest melee combatants in BG1.
    DJKajuru said:

He is indeed one of the toughest melee combatants in BG1.
    That is why it is wiser to run round and round the tables sending missiles at him. Time consuming but effective.