Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @OlvynChuru I particularly like 3 & 4, differences in traps, in that list. It would not even need to be voiced, just feedback, but it would be helpful to know (risk wise) what a thief or cleric has detected, trap wise. I am assuming that they would notice at least some difference between the two types of traps (the thief surely). It would be a nice add on.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Did you know that there are lots of unused voice-acted narrator messages? Here is a list of all of the messages, both used and unused, in the order they appear in the game's files.

1. You must gather your party before venturing forth.
    2. This door is locked.
    3. You have detected a magical trap.
    4. You have detected a mechanical trap.
    5. You have detected a trap.
    6. You cannot go there.
    7. The trap has been disarmed.
    8. This store is overstocked with that item.

If all of those were implemented, I'd probably shut the speakers off.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    There is a way to escape getting boxed in without breaking invisibility or using Dimension Door or Teleport Field.

If you get surrounded by enemies and need to escape, you can shapeshift into a mustard jelly or an iron golem. This will give you a larger circle than normal, and because of the way the game handles collision, it can teleport you to the nearest free spot, allowing you to break free and run away. The mustard jelly form is very slow and you might get cornered again, but you can always shapeshift back and forth between normal form and jelly form and keep teleporting yourself until you reach a point where you can escape.

You can also use this to teleport past doors and walls if you surround yourself with your own summoned critters first.

This also works with releasing your familiar, as the familiar displaces you, but it's not as useful for escaping when you're cornered because the enemy will just target your familiar instead. It can still teleport you through doors and thin walls, however.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    DJKajuru said:

He is indeed one of the toughest melee combatants in BG1.

That's what Wand of Paralysis is for.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

You can damage enemies without breaking invisibility by casting Agannazar's Scorcher on yourself. It has a very small area of effect when cast on yourself that can damage enemies who are just south of you or just north of you depending on which direction you're facing. It also works with the Wand of Fire's scorcher charge.

It requires careful positioning and can only hit one or two enemies at once, but it allows you to damage the enemy without losing your invisibility for even a second.

This also works with Hold Person, Hold Monster, and Call Lightning. It doesn't seem to work with Spell Revisions installed, however.

Or just use Blade Barrier / Globe of Blades like everyone else. ;)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Kilivitz said:

DJKajuru said:

Did you know that the ogre assassin Larze has more HP than Sarevok?

He is indeed one of the toughest melee combatants in BG1.
    According to the BG Wikia his STR is 25 (!).
    Larze has 21 Strength, not 25.

Here's one I didn't know until recently by chance.

Try giving the History of the Fateful Coin to Firebead with Imoen instead of anyone else and you get a slightly different reward:

This is actually kind of useful since it saves you the effort of finding one of these books for Rinnie inside of Baldur's Gate way later into the game.

You still get a scroll case, right?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    edited May 2017

Here's one I didn't know until recently by chance.

Try giving the History of the Fateful Coin to Firebead with Imoen instead of anyone else and you get a slightly different reward:

This is actually kind of useful since it saves you the effort of finding one of these books for Rinnie inside of Baldur's Gate way later into the game.
    However, since you have to go to that room in order to get the other goodies, it doesn't really make much difference. Of course if you are playing with the mod that moves objects around, I can imagine that getting that book will be VERY useful.
    You can also find a Unicorn Run history at the top of Razimath's tower, so that saves you the trouble of lugging one around from Chapter 1.

You can also find a Unicorn Run history at the top of Razimath's tower, so that saves you the trouble of lugging one around from Chapter 1.

That's the one that I ALWAYS use. However, people who use the g3 Item Randomiser might want to use the information given by @Artemius_I as it could be anywhere.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2017
    Did you know that in the original BG1 that check is only one of a few times when whether or not a specific NPC is being used to converse with someone is checked by a dialog file. In BG1 the only other examples involve Skie and her servants (and Neera has some as well in BGEE).
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

Some doors that require keys will consume the key when opened. However, there's a way to prevent the key from being consumed: put the key in a Bag of Holding. So, if you've killed Valygar and you want to open the door to the Planar Sphere while preserving his corpse, put him in a Bag of Holding.

How does Tolgerius react to that if you visit him afterwards and try to get a reward? Guessin' still upset?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited May 2017
    TheElf said:

You actually can return the Silver Blade to the first Gith without a fight. Idk if it's just a reaction check or what, but I've returned the blade to him any number of times and he always fought me anyway, but the last time I did it he simply accepted.

It's bugged. The reaction checks for Simyaz are all over the place, and as a result the responses to giving the silver blade over are reversed and he actually responds with hostility to a high reaction.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited June 2017
    I enjoy reading the Icewind Dale 2 manual. I especially like its advice about saving:

Save Often: You may have heard this so often your ears are numb, but it's a philosophy that pays off. Whenever possible, save, and even better, try to do save games in a different slot. You'll thank yourself later that you saved the game right before you were ambushed by that score of fireball-hurling wizards and their death-monk bodyguards.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited June 2017
    I haven't posted anything in a while so here's a triple one!

1- All of Nimbul's lines are voiced, but you can only listen to "I am death , come for thee" . The others, such as "why Nimbul has been hired to deal with the likes of you, I will never know" can only be heard if you charm him and then right-click on him .

2-When you defend Viconia from the flaming fist and she offers to join you've got only one of these positive replies :

"We don't judge someone by their race, we'll take you in."

or

"We need the extra help, so of course we'll take you in."

It may have something to do with your party reputation.

3- If you change a fighter's animation to that of a monk he'll look really cool:

mlnevese said:

ThacoBell said:

I enjoy reading the Icewind Dale 2 manual. I especially like its advice about saving:

Save Often: You may have heard this so often your ears are numb, but it's a philosophy that pays off. Whenever possible, save, and even better, try to do save games in a different slot. You'll thank yourself later that you saved the game right before you were ambushed by that score of fireball-hurling wizards and their death-monk bodyguards.

Oh man, the Icewind Dale 2 manual is quite possibly my favorite game manual. Yes, I am boring enough that I have favorite game manuals.
    My favorite manual was Icewind Dale's just because the translation into my native language was so bad and literal it had me actually laughing out loud :) I won't even try to give examples as translating it back to English wouldn't work at all :)
    You could always do a translation yourself and post it for others' benefit.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Did you know that if you cast Spirit Armor on someone multiple times, the Save vs. Spell bonuses stack? This is true in BG:EE, BG2:EE, and IWD:EE.

I guess it's because you're protected by a whole bunch of spirits. =D