Skip to content

My best roll ever

Comments

• StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    I know, but for some reason I just don't feel right doing that. Yes, I rolled it legit before. But to cheat to reproduce it still doesn't feel right, even though I know that PnP players reproduce characters all the time that were legitimately rolled.

But more to the point, there is exactly zero difference in Icewind Dale between a Paladin with 18/00, 18, 18, 15, 14, 18 and a Paladin with 18/00, 18, 18, 3, 13, 17. A lot of these real high rolls that people get make absolutely zero difference because of how the game implements ability scores.
    ArctodusThacoBellGallowglasssemiticgoddess
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I rolled a 98 on a fighter mage.
    ThacoBellStormvessel
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    The vanilla BG screenshots in this thread make me happy.
    KilivitzStormvessel
  • ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2017
    I've been using an autoroller app, and rolling stats for over two days. Every late night, I ran BG1EE, partially set up a Cavalier, ran and set up the autoroller, sped up the autoroller, turned off my LCD, and then went to bad. In the mornings, I checked the results. The best I got was (after reassignment):

STR 18/30
    DEX 18
    CON 18
    INT 15
    WIS 13
    CHA 18

Which add up to exactly 100 total stat points. (And I put two proficiency points in 2-handed sword and two points in 2-handed weapon in preparation for the Holy Avenger... but it's probably a bad idea for BG1.)

Still autorolling and aiming for that 18/00 with 100+ stat points.
    Stormvessel
  • OlderThan13YearsOlderThan13Years Member Posts: 79
    edited January 2017
    Autoroller gave my a 106:

I am planning to continue a playthrough with this character in a few weeks.

As far as I remember, my best roll without tool was 99 (human fighter).
    Gotural
    edited January 2017
    How long did the Autoroller take to give you the 106?

IMO the least important stat for a Sorcerer is actually intelligence. Wisdom should be 18 to get good choices for the Wish spell, but I suppose you can boost WIS with tomes.

Is there any benefit for Sorcerer to have 18 INT?

P.S. I see you went for a straight Sorcerer instead of the Dragon Disciple kit. BTW, if you consider Wish as the inevitable spell choice, then Dragon Disciple > Sorcerer, by a good margin. All the arguments for Sorcerer > Dragon Disciple always ignore Wish. Wish should make the Dragon Disciple's only disadvantage of -1 cast per spell level/day mostly irrelevant when she can refresh her spells on the fly.
    [Deleted User]
  • OlderThan13YearsOlderThan13Years Member Posts: 79
    edited January 2017
    ktchong said:

How long did the Autoroller take to give you the 106?

I used a rolling script and 8 game instances at once (so I had 8 autorollers which rolled simultaneously). The FPS/Frequency was set to 60 Hz.

Using this setup I get a roll of 106 after ~7 day till 9 days (105 takes ~3 days, 104 ~1 day). It took ~1 week for this Sorcerer.
    ktchong said:

IMO the least important stat for a Sorcerer is actually intelligence. Wisdom should be 18 to get good choices for the Wish spell, but I suppose you can boost WIS with tomes.

Is there any benefit for Sorcerer to have 18 INT?

Yes, right. You end up with more than 18 wisdom anyway. So it's not that important. Was just for the look (in BG1 you get 19 in every attribute with these stats).
    ktchong said:

P.S. I see you went for a straight Sorcerer instead of the Dragon Disciple kit. BTW, if you consider Wish as the inevitable spell choice, then Dragon Disciple > Sorcerer, by a good margin. All the arguments for Sorcerer > Dragon Disciple always ignore Wish. Wish should make the Dragon Disciple's only disadvantage of -1 cast per spell level/day mostly irrelevant when she can refresh her spells on the fly.

Are you a powerplayer?
    Imho a true powerplay playthrough needs a main char with 108 attribute points. That's what I am waiting for.
    So I am not doing a powerplay playthrough with the character (that's why the char is a half-elf and not a elf). It's rather exploitplay. :D

I guess you're right here. The Dragon Disciple could be better then the Sorcerer. I'll think about your arguments and do some tests.
    semiticgoddess
    edited January 2017

Are you a powerplayer?

Not really. I am more of a roleplayer, to the extent that I would spend a lot of time coming up with the character's name before I even start playing, (i.e., the name has to fit the context of the world and character's background story.)

Anyway, I did a lot of research (googling) into Cavalier and Sorcerer before I finally decided on the Cavalier. Like, on and off, I must have done months of research, (which eliminated many other classes before narrowing my final choices down to Cavalier and Sorcerer.) I still want to play Sorcerer if I have the time and opportunity in the future.

I posted my brief analysis of Sorcerer vs Dragon Disciple in a more relevant discussion thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/63153/help-me-choose-class-for-a-new-trilogy-run
    I respectfully disagree. I still feel that Sorcerer is more powerful than Dragon Disciple, even factoring in Wish.

What does the Dragon Disciple actually get? Con bonus which isn't useful in the least - I guess you could shoot for 20 con but still, this is hardly an advantage. It gets a breath weapon which is insta-cast and quite useful, but it pales in comparison to some of the high level arcane spells and you only get to cast it once. The fire resistance can be really, really convenient, I won't lie. Sorcerers generally can't afford to select spells like that, so that's pretty good. They end up with -5 AC. *Yawn*. You're still gonna have horrid AC compared to a fighter in full-plate+2. You're going to need to rely on defensive spells regardless if you want to stay alive...or just kill everything before it kills you (again, advantage sorc). The extra HP is convenient but it's piddly and won't keep you from being one shotted by the most powerful enemies late in BG2.

If you're playing standard difficulty, sure, go with DD. It's fine. But at higher difficulties the DD advantages aren't going to help survivability that much...gimme the extra firepower any day.
    semiticgoddess
  • ZerguuZerguu Member Posts: 37
    98 roll with 100% strength on my Undead Hunter. I wasn't even planing to roll paladin. Completed second chapter and deleted it.
    [Deleted User]
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Rolled a 97 today on an undead hunter

ThacoBellArctodusStormvesselJuliusBorisov
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    The way rolling works with a paladin, high rolls not hard to do. Now with a straight fighter, thief, mage or cleric there's something different.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    No, the best roll ever must be the ones my grandmother made from scratch, but she took the secret recipe to her grave.
    ThacoBellChroniclerDreadKhan
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I just wanted to say that I hate y'all* and your high roles. You make my 94-roll barbarian look like a wimp.
    :<
    *just kidding, of course. You are lovely people. <3
    tbone1ThacoBell
    edited August 2017
    It's also fun sometimes to have believable characters. I think Imoen is a 89 roll and
    that's your bhaalspawn sister
    so it wouldn't make sense to be much better (though Sarevok is 91 I believe).

I think a good solid 85 is fair. After the tomes you'll be where expected
    as a bhaalspawn
    , and in PnP you'd be lucky to roll an 80.
  • TelcontarTelcontar Member Posts: 12
    One of the reasons why I prefer to use autoroller, is because too many times have I got a decent roll, only to click reroll by accident. With autoroller I got 98 for Dragon Disciple, and it took like half an hour or so. DD does have a decently high min stats, to make it easier.
    The character that I am playing now, is an half-orc berserker, with 96 roll.
    StormvesselConjurerDragontbone1
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited August 2017
    Using manual rolling on TotSC I am currently running a 95pt Lawful Neutral Human Fighter [Thurston]: 18:60/18/18/18/14/9 to be Dualled to Mage at Ftr Level 5. Planning a minimal re-load playthrough with 3-4 NPCs. Imoen [Dualed], Minsc, Kivan->Coran, Branwen->Yeslick and possibly adding Quayle as a nuisance value for TotSC quests. [Unfortunately, my GOG game has scrambled files that do not allow me to take screen shots.]
    Post edited by Eadwyn_G8keeper on
    ThacoBellStormvesselGrum
    edited August 2017
    Just alt-enter into window mode and bring up the snipping tool. So much easier - even though I have steam which can take them, I just bring up that snipping tool and focus on where I want the screenshot. Then upload to imgur and post. So much easier.
    themazingnessEadwyn_G8keeper
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    edited August 2017
    My best roll? Actually, it was sorta recent. I did finger of death at the beginning of a battle, my party all buffed up and skeletons at the ready, with a red dragon. It died instantly.

I felt so fricken powerful! :D
    ShikaoChnapyErinne
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Just got a 99 with a paladin, which in the end is probably not as unlikely as my previous record, 98 with a human zerker but hey, new milestone!

Next stop, three-digit-land!
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited August 2017
    I have a 93 on a human berserker.

Str (18/18) -> (19)
    Dex (18) -> (19)
    Con (17) -> (18)
    Int (9) -> (10)
    Wis (15) -> (18)
    Cha (16) -> (17)

True neutral. ** Staves ** Two handed style

Plan is to go Fighter (9) then dual class to Druid. This will give him grand mastery in staves and full bonus HP. In retrospect I should have gone ** scimitars ** two weapon style. But at least it is good RP to have him be trained in the fighting style of the Watchers of Candlekeep.

BG2 party will be Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, Wilson, and then either Cernd or V the backstabbing ranger.
    Post edited by Grum on
    Chnapy
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Just starting a 94pt FMC Half-Elven LN : [Manual-rolling]
    Strength--------18/86
    Dexterity--------18
    Constitution-----18
    Intelligence------18
    Wisdom---------16
    Charisma---------6

Aldus Adarion will be almost as good as a 100pt roll once he gets Ring of Human Influence in BG2 so I am pumped. First time playthrough with FMC and it feels really good, like a true, historically important hero of Faerun ought to be!!!

Liking very much having 2 quick-slotted weapons which is a GREAT improvement over the single weapon available to FMT class. [Primarily because my TotSC game unpauses whenever you open Inventory--a major handicap in the Vanilla game.]

Also looking forward to minimizing the strip-and-cast meta-gaming of FM/FMT since Aldus should pretty much Rock-the-Sword-Coast with wands and Cleric spells until I can afford 2 Archmage robes. Something not too hard to manage by passing up the Thunderhammer Ankheg Armor or "something-something" in Nashkel. [Note: Ghost Armor/Spirit Armor work fine also if I get an early drop.]
    ShikaoStormvessel
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I just bought Siege of Dragonspear and decided to play as a paladin. I rolled for a while and got a 94. Best roll I've ever had. I started the game and it crashed as soon as I left the first area. So I decided to play Baldur's Gate instead. I rolled a paladin. Got a 96! I decided this time I would be smart. Just in case there was some kind of bug I decided to export my character straight away. The game crashed as soon as I hit the export button.

Thankfully, @Gate70 on the Troubleshooting forum explained how to fix the problem and now I can play both games. But not with a 96 point character . . .
    ShikaoThacoBellStummvonBordwehrLoldrup
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    @Permidion_Stark may I suggest you use EEKeeper? Since you lost your very good roll due to bug and your own fault. Create new char with whatever stats, start the game and then edit your character with EEKeeper to match your lost roll.
    Permidion_Stark
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Shikao said:

@Permidion_Stark may I suggest you use EEKeeper? Since you lost your very good roll due to bug and your own fault. Create new char with whatever stats, start the game and then edit your character with EEKeeper to match your lost roll.

I just started a new game of Baldur's Gate and got a 95 point paladin (it seems it is quite easy to roll very high stats for paladins - presumably because the gods favour them?). I won't use EEKeeper this time but I will bear it in mind for future use.
    Shikao
    edited August 2017
    The god's favor Paladins alright...with high minimums in useless stats. In PnP a paladin is very, very rare. And because there are no dump stats (especially in PnP) you end up with Paladins that look like this...

...not very much favor there in my opinion. I can see why Paladins become blackguards, with treatment like that. The gods...pfff...who needs 'em.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Well, a 95 still allows for something like
    18/xx

so i'd say it's not too bad ^^ you could event put that extra wisdom point in charisma instead for additional quest rewards early on =o

paladins really do get good stats, although not quite ranger/cleric good
    StormvesselWesboi