Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    ussnorway said:

@Ygramul a pally no reload tends to be a solo run or a stand at the back fighter... I assume both these options are out unless you are ok with throwing daggers | axes?

Due to RP habits, I could never bring myself to use daggers on a Pally.

Due to similar OCD habits, I always party with a full team.

I don't think I have the discipline to survive a solo noreload -- with anything other than maybe a Sorcerer.
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    @Alesia_BH @Grond0

Thank you for the excellent advice and detailed comments!

Some followup thoughts:

- The Claw: almost surprised to hear it, actually.
    I thought the +4 penalty to death saves was too risky. Can one reliably use Death Ward? (Probably dispelled at the worst moment.) Also, 2HP/lvl is not to cheap either.

The Ioun Stone seems... wasteful. Essentially TWO slots used then to achieve some +3 saves (except Death which barely breaks even).
    Helm of Balduran + a ring with +2 saves seems to give the same without the 2HP/lvl loss.
    Do I miss something here?

O, more generally, what Ring + Amulet + Cloak combination do you go for BG1->ToB?

Maybe:
    cloak: [Balduran -> +2 protection]
    rings: [Free Action] + [fire prot -> +2 prot]
    amulet: [something with save bonus]
    ?

- Don't Free Action items protect again Stun now? I'm surprised to hear that Stun is a problem late game (which I rarely survive to with a melee character).
    (Also, is there a Free Action ring in BG2?)

- (Forgot what 'NPP status' stands for.)
    Why should I not melee Vampires? (Assuming I have level drain protection.)

Thanks again.
    Arctodus said:

Soooooo....

After much researching, I have a preliminary list of Honorable Mentions and the list of successes from the Bioware forum for you @Ygramul. This is not an exhuastive list. Please, pretty please everyone, feel free to suggest other memorable mentions.

Just added these to the OP.

Thanks!
    ArctodusJuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    There's no 'd' in 'parting,' other than that thanks for the title shoutout.
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2017
    Arctodus said:

Note : the links to the Bioware successes won't work, because these runs are now on the archives provided by @Serg_BlackStrider.
    BG1
    BG2

Most of those success links (which were on the latest forum.bioware.com, not on the former social.bioware.com) will work if someone edit them this way:
    1. Add *blackstrider.net/forum_bioware_arhiv* at the beginning of the link
    2. Replace /?p=XXXXXXXX with proper /page-XXX.html#entryXXXXXXXX at the end

But to make #2 one need to browse those archives all over again to find needed entries. Which just means creating the most part of the Hall from the scratch.
    Post edited by Serg_BlackStrider on
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    Arctodus said:

Soooooo....

After much researching, I have a preliminary list of Honorable Mentions and the list of successes from the Bioware forum

Thank you for your efforts, Arctodus! Excellent work!

Best,

A.
    ArctodusSerg_BlackStriderJuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
    edited September 2017
    Alesia_BH said:

.... When you get into the minutiae, the Claw looks even more appealing ....

Thank you for the very detailed response. I am convinced enough to make a RP reason for my character to hold on to the Claw on this run.

Also, the immunity list is very interesting:
    https://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Immunities.htm

I remember running into before, but never paid much attention to it.

Wait? What!
    The Jansen Spectroscopes provide immunity to Blindness?!
    I had no idea!

Okay, one more question:

Would you use the Amulet of Power for a Cavalier? (Remember I have a full party, so Imoen/Jan/Viconia/Jaheira etc. will be contending for it, but I want to make sure that charname gets the best protection.)

P.S. I am not sure if I actually use SCS-enhanced vampires. After getting frustrated at an earlier run on SCS-enhanced dopplegangers I had decided not to use components of SCS that change creature abilities drastically.
    Post edited by Ygramul on
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovlolien