Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Adalon says her spell will let you speak the drow tongue as if you were a native speaker. But if your Intelligence is low, you'll say "mind flayers" to Solaufein instead of "devourers" or "illithids," and Solaufein thinks you're using some weird foreign dialect.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @semiticgod
    Yeah, does seem a bit iffy doesn't it.

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. Juggling college, job searching and constantly worrying about my Dad is hell.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    It doesn't look like you risk losing any reputation by killing the respectful order member Keldorn for no reason. The reason? Probably because he's destined to be your companion and the game treats any fights in-between as "family business" ;)
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited October 2017

The underlying mechanical reason is because the game only decreases your reputation if you kill characters with a certain class, such as "Innocent" or "Flaming Fist," instead of a character class like paladin or thief. All party-joinable critters have character classes, since they otherwise could not gain levels, so killing them never deducts reputation. It's a quirk of the game engine.

Couldn't rep loss be scripted in somehow? I've often thought how strange it was that you can cut down Khalid right in front of everybody in the Friendly Arms and nobody seems to notice, or care. Well, except Jaheira anyway, but she's usually upstairs when it happens...
    @Balrog99
    Scripted rep-loss? You have too much faith in the Infinity Engine It's a awesome and iconic engine but it's very limited in what it can accomplish.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Scripted reputation loss is easy to create though.
    @Montresor_SP
    Gotta love the game engine (I never spell that word right, thanks for the help Google)

Yet if you enchant a weapon with celestial blood or the blood of an innocent person, it's also an evil weapon.

Perhaps not if the blood is 'willingly given' for the purpose? Is there any provision for that?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    In 3.5 there was a bunch of holy relics, one was good and evil, a great axe used to execute a saint. Good or evil used the weapon at penaly. Coolbeans.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Even when you're down to 1 HP (i.e. you've lost sundry body parts and copious amounts of blood) you can still move as quickly and hit as hard as when you were in full health.

Admittedly this is D&D logic rather than specifically BG, but it is one of the reasons why I preferred playing (dare I even mention it?) Runequest.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    dunbar said:

Even when you're down to 1 HP (i.e. you've lost sundry body parts and copious amounts of blood) you can still move as quickly and hit as hard as when you were in full health.

Admittedly this is D&D logic rather than specifically BG, but it is one of the reasons why I preferred playing (dare I even mention it?) Runequest.

I'll admit, a mod that uses the AD&D rule that makes 0 HP unconscious and -10 death for all the IE games would be nice. I've always liked that better than the 0 hp=death, -10=oblivion way of handling things (granted, oblivion is only high difficulty).
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    If that was the case (hp as aprrying, etc.), then spell like Heal Light Wounds should bring back roughly the same amount of HP for both low and high level warrior.
    @Balrog99
    Right, I forgot about monks.
    BG Logic:
    Any PC can unequip their weapons and pummel any commoner into submission and rob them blind. All except monks that is. Apparently their hands are such deadly weapons that it's impossible for them to knock somebody unconscious...

After blowing up a sizable chunk of Waukeen's Promenade and killing several civilians and law enforcement officers, the only thing you get arrested for in Athkatla is "Use of magic without a proper license".

Athkatla is all about the money!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Artona said:

If that was the case (hp as aprrying, etc.), then spell like Heal Light Wounds should bring back roughly the same amount of HP for both low and high level warrior.

It does, 8hp :wink: Unless you mean compared to the total. Well, you can put a bandage on a shallow cut with light bleeding, but if you have say 30 lightly bleeding cuts over your whole body, it adds up and you may actually require a hospital stay due to all the minor blood loss adding up.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @ThacoBell - well, you are right. ;)
    But if hp represents parrying, dodging, and so on, then why curing light wounds can bring almost entire health of 1-level warrior, but won't matter with 20-level warrior?
    Artona said:

@ThacoBell - well, you are right. ;)
    But if hp represents parrying, dodging, and so on, then why curing light wounds can bring almost entire health of 1-level warrior, but won't matter with 20-level warrior?

For the same reason that a cure critical wounds doesn't work any better than cure light wounds on a 1st level character. The low level folks can't take as much of a beating. Any sword thrust can be critical when you don't know how to defend yourself. A heal spell is much more valuable to a seasoned warrior than to a commoner. It can bring him/her back from the brink of death. A commoner is always on the brink of death...