Skip to content

The big "Is it a bug or supposed to be like this?" thread

DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
During the last couple of betas I had myself wondering if something I came across was a real bug, or just something I was not aware of and suddenly struck me as odd while beta testing (heightened senses and all that). I assume there must be more people like me (I hope) who have this issue so perhaps this might be a nice way to get some confirmation of true bugness before filling up Redmine with 'Not an issue'.

To kick off: I noticed that when starting BG2:EE with a mage/sorcerer, you can level up CHARNAME almost immediately by getting Imoen to disarm the trap and open the lock in the room adjacent to your starting position. You go from 89000 to 90075 xp and therefore gain your 8th level. Has this always been the case? Because it feels a bit quicker than I would expect at the beginning of a game.
lolien

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Yes, it has always been the case, since BG2 (if you start in BG2 without importing your character from BG1+TotSC/BG:EE/BG:EE+SoD). Mind you, 90k XP may be the threshold of a new level not for all characters.
    DoubledimasRAM021lolien
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    The 89k XP limit of vanilla BG1 is just weird, though, as it's just shy of a levelup for some classes. I like the 161k from TotSC a lot better, because it's just post a levelup for some classes.

Just wished SoD's cap was a tiny bit higher so that Paladins and Rangers got 2 levelups during SoD. I haven't seen any good XP cap boosters that only boost it slightly.
    RAM021JuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I managed to let BG:EE CTD by doing the following:

When starting the game, Ctrl + Q any character in Candlekeep (apart from Firebead, Gorion, Tethoril and Imoen). When you give them XP through the console, they level up. But when clicking 'level up' in their character screen, the game crashes. Is this a bug or so highly unlikely that it shouldn't be reported?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

When starting the game, Ctrl + Q any character in Candlekeep (apart from Firebead, Gorion, Tethoril and Imoen). When you give them XP through the console, they level up. But when clicking 'level up' in their character screen, the game crashes. Is this a bug or so highly unlikely that it shouldn't be reported?

That is quite a narrow case indeed. Do as you think is right. Maybe this bug affects more than you can see.
    Another CTD:

When opening the console and travelling to the lowest area (AR9901) it crashes.
    Yeah, report if you can reliably repro it!
    Doubledimas
    Another question: in the console, was it always the case for BG:EE that we only saw the Area codes, and not the names of the areas? Or am I getting it mixed up with PST:EE where it is possible to see the name of the area you want to travel to?
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited December 2017

Is that supposed to be the Defend icon or a Dance icon? Or do I have a corrupted setup somehow?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited December 2017

What's the person's class? I'm pretty sure I've heard of this bug before. If you ctrl-Q someone who doesn't have a real character class, they can't level up. The workaround is to change their class in EEKeeper.
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddess
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    Alright I got one regarding the achievement "Oathbreaker" in Icewind Dale (become a fallen paladin or ranger). It does not unlock if you are a kitted Paladin or Ranger, only if you are a plain, vanilla, Paladin or Ranger. Is that intentional, or should I make a bug report?
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited December 2017
    I feel like it really would be better to post these kinds of reports to Red Mine. It would be easier to address them on a case-by-case basis there instead of here. Don't worry about cluttering Redmine, the purpose of Redmine is to simplify reporting and responding to reports, posting here undermines and goes against the point of using Redmine.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited December 2017

Alright I got one regarding the achievement "Oathbreaker" in Icewind Dale (become a fallen paladin or ranger). It does not unlock if you are a kitted Paladin or Ranger, only if you are a plain, vanilla, Paladin or Ranger. Is that intentional, or should I make a bug report?

You should have a look at#34040 to maybe add to it or make a separate ticket.

Post edited by Doubledimas on
    Franpa said:

I feel like it really would be better to post these kinds of reports to Red Mine. It would be easier to address them on a case-by-case basis there instead of here. Don't worry about cluttering Redmine, the purpose of Redmine is to simplify reporting and responding to reports, posting here undermines and goes against the point of using Redmine.

Agree.

@Pokota You can search on Redmine to see if a similar issue has been filed. In this case, yes, it's a bug with the icon for a shaman.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    I've noticed that invisible characters turn visible when they pick up items from the ground via quick loot. Is this a bug or intended feature?
    Garvin77Proontloliensarevok57
    edited December 2017
    argent77 said:

I've noticed that invisible characters turn visible when they pick up items from the ground via quick loot. Is this a bug or intended feature?

This is a bug fix, i.e. intended.

"It should not be possible for a thief to loot while hiding in shadows by using the quickloot bar" (internal Bug #31439) based on the public report https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/31109
    argent77lolienArctodus
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Never been in one of these betas before, so could use some guidance.

IWD: When hovering the mouse pointer over a character face in the right-screen HUD, it continuously plays the "opening parchment" sound over and over, or whatever it can be called. I think it should only be heard once, right?

IWD: I had forgot to put in my battery cable on my laptop and it died. When I logged in again my old MP game was still active but I couldn't join it, it was unavailable. Had to create a new one. I guess this is pretty standard though. I was alone in the game playing all 6 chars.

Bugs or not?
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Skatan said:

IWD: When hovering the mouse pointer over a character face in the right-screen HUD, it continuously plays the "opening parchment" sound over and over, or whatever it can be called. I think it should only be heard once, right?

I cannot reproduce this in the beta. I only hear the opening sound once when hovering over a portrait.

SkatanJuliusBorisovlolien
    OK cool. I will try again when I create a new session and if I cannot reprod it then, I guess we can leave it at that.
    Doubledimas
    Skatan said:

OK cool. I will try again when I create a new session and if I cannot reprod it then, I guess we can leave it at that.

Just realised something: did you test it in SP or MP?
    JuliusBorisov

Skatan said:

MP, but playing alone.
    Skatan said:

Skatan said:

MP, but playing alone.
    Ok, I first tried that in SP when I responded. Now also tried it in MP with just me playing, still cannot reproduce.
    JuliusBorisov
    Skatan said:

I had forgot to put in my battery cable on my laptop and it died. When I logged in again my old MP game was still active but I couldn't join it, it was unavailable. Had to create a new one. I guess this is pretty standard though. I was alone in the game playing all 6 chars.

Bugs or not?

It's ok. If something happens (a crash or a sudden termination of the game) the MP game can still be present on the list, but when you create a new MP game the old one will disappear eventually (and the new game will be higher in the list).
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Skatan said:

I cannot reproduce this in the beta. I only hear the opening sound once when hovering over a portrait.

There's an already reported bug about the cursor not updating when you move the mouse over the portraits. This might be a case of having the mouse over something that would produce the opening sound, then quickly moving over the portraits.
    JuliusBorisov
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Pokotalolien
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Proont
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Shandaxx said:

Skatan said:

Skatan said:

MP, but playing alone.
    @Skatan
    You're playing MP, but alone? Why... why would you do that?

I mean here I am testing IWD:EE, ready to test it in multiplayer, too.
    And over there is @Anduin ready to do the same and...

should we not all team up and test IWD:EE in multiplayer *together*? :open_mouth:
    @Skatan @Shandaxx I'll be back in front of a computer from 8pm gmt onwards. Anyone else wants to join in for a bit of Beta and Icey wind action, you are more than welcome.
    [Deleted User]lolien