Skip to content

The 2.5 Update Beta is HERE! Test, play, let us know what you think!

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Anduin said:

A quick statement on crash dumps.

I don't appear to be generating any.

Now my crashes appear to be happening trying to join other peoples games. I don't appear to crash when I'm hosting... Is this important to state? Do the hosts only make crash dumps?

I have been playing using the client, and they generate numbers to state when crashing. I have redmined these, but I don't know how useful they are. (I get asked for more info and the crash dumps.. Yet as I have said... I haven't got those...)

I have unchecked bitdefender from protecting my document files just in case, but it usually states if something is trying to do something first... It isn't in this case.

Multiplayer is buggy... I want to help fix it.

That's great that you folks want to help fix Multiplayer! This is one of the main targets of this beta.

@Anduin Please, comment on your Redmine tickets that you can't find the dumps, - the QA will help you to find them, or detect the reason of why they are not being created.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    did you ehhm inspect it?
  • ericthelutheranericthelutheran Member Posts: 10
    This is the first beta version I've tried, using Mac through steam.

I'm not thrilled with the loss of features. I can no longer skip movies, space bar no longer causes dialogue to proceed and I have to click "continue", and I lost a ALL options for custom script — it just says "default" with no options to prefer checking for traps or melee over ranged and so on, rather there are just the prewritten scripts.

And while I'm at it, I miss the health bar option and portraits going dark or turning yellow when the char can or can't use an item.

The UI looks much sleeker, but I don't like the loss of good features. :/
  • Garvin77Garvin77 Member Posts: 52
    @ericthelutheran: First of all, I want to say: Welcome to the Beamdog Community, the official place to discuss all things pertaining to the enhanced versions of the great and classic (yet timeless) D&D Infinity Engine CRPGs!

With that out of the way . . .

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles! Personally, I haven't noticed anything like that at all (however, I'm playing on Windows 10 through the Beamdog Client because I like the general direction the developer is going). If you're able to take a screenshot or video of what's going on (I'm sure Mac must have something like a 'PrintScreen' button that essentially makes a copy of what's currently on-screen, which can then be 'pasted' (much like text and images copied from the internet) into any photo-editor), then you should submit it, with as much detail as possible, including under what conditions this happens and what should be happening instead (Beamdog prefers bug-reports to be filed as either 'should' or 'should not' cases) to Redmine (you'll need to create another account on Redmine before you can submit bug-reports and feature-requests). Specifying your computer's specs helps the QA team greatly, as many problems are, in fact, known issues with certain hardware. It might not hurt to specify any programmes running in the background, as, very rarely, other apps that are running simultaneously might cause problems, especially for multiplayer (which it doesn't sound like you've tested yet, so background apps shouldn't be a problem). Mentioning which game and update/patch, as well as where you bought it (Beamdog, Steam, GOG, etc.), is necessary, and should be placed in the subject of your report, in square-brackets [ ] . Make sure you file it as a bug-report and not a feature-request! I assume this is a bug because: 1) I haven't encountered these issues myself; and 2) I find it very unlikely that Beamdog would remove certain features on Mac and not other platforms. I certainly hope this helps, and you're able to get your game(s) working again!

P.S. I'm not a developer or moderator; I just like helping people. :)
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @ericthelutheran Are you sure you're using the 2.5 beta and not the 1.3 legacy version (which Steam also offers)? You can check your game's version number in the in-game options menu. It should say v2.5.10.0, or something along those lines.
    Garvin77 said:

@ericthelutheran: First of all, I want to say: Welcome to the Beamdog Community, the official place to discuss all things pertaining to the enhanced versions of the great and classic (yet timeless) D&D Infinity Engine CRPGs!

With that out of the way . . .

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles! Personally, I haven't noticed anything like that at all (however, I'm playing on Windows 10 through the Beamdog Client because I like the general direction the developer is going). If you're able to take a screenshot or video of what's going on (I'm sure Mac must have something like a 'PrintScreen' button that essentially makes a copy of what's currently on-screen, which can then be 'pasted' (much like text and images copied from the internet) into any photo-editor), then you should submit it, with as much detail as possible, including under what conditions this happens and what should be happening instead (Beamdog prefers bug-reports to be filed as either 'should' or 'should not' cases) to Redmine (you'll need to create another account on Redmine before you can submit bug-reports and feature-requests). Specifying your computer's specs helps the QA team greatly, as many problems are, in fact, known issues with certain hardware. It might not hurt to specify any programmes running in the background, as, very rarely, other apps that are running simultaneously might cause problems, especially for multiplayer (which it doesn't sound like you've tested yet, so background apps shouldn't be a problem). Mentioning which game and update/patch, as well as where you bought it (Beamdog, Steam, GOG, etc.), is necessary, and should be placed in the subject of your report, in square-brackets [ ] . Make sure you file it as a bug-report and not a feature-request! I assume this is a bug because: 1) I haven't encountered these issues myself; and 2) I find it very unlikely that Beamdog would remove certain features on Mac and not other platforms. I certainly hope this helps, and you're able to get your game(s) working again!

P.S. I'm not a developer or moderator; I just like helping people. :)

Garvin, thanks! I backed out of beta, but I might opt back in to give another pass at seeing where I might find some of the features I wasn't able to find and so I can take screenshots like you suggested.

I really do like the new look, and it sharpens up the fuzziness from pre-modern resolution.

Also, it's helpful to know that different platforms (steam, gog, etc) may have different experiences. Never occurred to me! Thanks!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

I'm not thrilled with the loss of features. I can no longer skip movies, space bar no longer causes dialogue to proceed and I have to click "continue", and I lost a ALL options for custom script — it just says "default" with no options to prefer checking for traps or melee over ranged and so on, rather there are just the prewritten scripts.

And while I'm at it, I miss the health bar option and portraits going dark or turning yellow when the char can or can't use an item.

First of all, clear your override folder. This one action will remove all the conflicting stuff. Then opt out of the beta. Then opt in, as described in http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/12/the-25-update-beta-is-here.html. Tell us about your experience afterwards, @ericthelutheran
    Julius, thanks for the tips.

When I first installed them, I found two betas: bg2_beta - BG2EE and bgiiee_1.3.

I now know that the 1.3 is the one I installed last time and is the version from 3 years ago.

I installed the current bg2_beta and the UI isn't as sleek, but I have the features I expected to have. Very interesting difference!

Now if I could just get the mods working (I'm not good at this, and don't find the help articles particularly useful because they don't explain my questions), I'd be in business.

Thanks again, this helped me.
    I heard you're on the Mac, so see this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31155/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-installing-mods-on-osx/p1 (remember, you need the ModMerge for installing mods on BG:EE+SoD, but SoD is not a part of the beta).
  • Garvin77Garvin77 Member Posts: 52
    @ericthelutheran: Yes, as @JuliusBorisov mentioned, only the Beamdog versions seem to be mod-compatible straight out of the gate. That was something I forgot to mention! Again, as Julius Borisov said, the Steam and GOG versions need a third-party (I think) programme to install and run mods (yet one more reason to buy direct from the devs).

Anyway, I'm glad it sounds like you've solved things! I'm glad I was able to be of assistance!
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Garvin77 said:

Again, as Julius Borisov said, the Steam and GOG versions need a third-party (I think) programme to install and run mods (yet one more reason to buy direct from the devs).

Not third-party, as Modmerge is made by one of the Beamdog devs.

Garvin77 said:

Again, as Julius Borisov said, the Steam and GOG versions need a third-party (I think) programme to install and run mods (yet one more reason to buy direct from the devs).

Not third-party, as Modmerge is made by one of the Beamdog devs.

By our CTO, Scott Brooks.

Also, the ModMerge is needed only for BG:EE+SoD on GoG and BG:EE+SoD on Steam.
    It's not required for BG:EE+SoD from Beamdog, and it's not required for BG2:EE, IWD:EE from any store.
  • SkydogSkydog Member Posts: 111
    Don't know if it is already reported or not, but I noticed a GUI glitch in IWD during character creation. It is the appearance screen that needs attention. The indicator that lets you choose hair color is not aligned with colors themselves. E.g. when you choose the last available color (pink, if I'm not mistaken) the indicator stops on the previous color.
    Skydog said:

Don't know if it is already reported or not, but I noticed a GUI glitch in IWD during character creation. It is the appearance screen that needs attention. The indicator that lets you choose hair color is not aligned with colors themselves. E.g. when you choose the last available color (pink, if I'm not mistaken) the indicator stops on the previous color.

Haven't seen this one on Redmine yet. Please, report it on support.baldursgate.com according to the instructions at https://support.baldursgate.com/projects/iwd-ee-public-bugs/wiki
    It is in redmine as this issue.
  • SkydogSkydog Member Posts: 111
    edited December 2017
    okay, i've made some screenshots to prove it)

character sound sets are weird as well (default is muted and howmale1, 2 are missing)
    edited December 2017
    Those who have been worrying about compatibility of BG:EE+SoD after the 2.5 beta:

SoD will be at 2.5 on desktop when we release the 2.5 patch, and then when SoD is released on tablets it should either be
    a) compatible with the desktop version,
    or b) the desktop versions are also updated when SoD goes out on tablets to maintain compatibility.

So, don't worry!

I also want to share that for the last several days the brave group of @Thels , @Buttercheese , @Anduin , @Doubledimas and a few others have been trying and testing Multiplayer in the open beta. This is very important for the future of these games!

We urge others to test Multiplayer as well. Feel free to join the BG Discord which makes discussing everything MP-related easier!

P.S.
    Skydog said:

okay, i've made some screenshots to prove it)

character sound sets are weird as well (default is muted and howmale1, 2 are missing)

Please, add to the existing report(s) or create a new (for the soundsets) one.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited December 2017
    Is SoD going to join the beta at some point? It seems odd that the other games are being tested, but SoD is not.

Also, @Shandaxx is kinda missing on your list. He's been there for most of the MP testing. @RelSundan and @Skatan have also done some testing.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Do we have any update on new features, besides bugfixing? I will have a lot of time to play the game during my holidays and will also have a few mods to update and patch :smiley:
    edited December 2017
    Thels said:

Is SoD going to join the beta at some point?

Not known at this time.
    Thels said:

kinda missing on your list.

Yeah, I have been unsure about exact participants, this is why I added "a few others" above. Anyway, it's really great to see so many people testing the game in MP. Keep it up!
    Arunsun said:

Do we have any update on new features, besides bugfixing?

There's a lot of work still being done, besides fixing bugs the community find during the beta.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • burracus_maxburracus_max Member Posts: 3
    Hello. Please i bought the game on GOG and i don't know where i can download the beta.
    Please help, this lag issues make it unable to play multiplayer, and i don't want to play it solo

Hello. Please i bought the game on GOG and i don't know where i can download the beta.
    Please help, this lag issues make it unable to play multiplayer, and i don't want to play it solo

The beta is not available for GoG.

The beta is not available for GoG.
    is it gonna be available soon please? i want to die
    @burracus_max There's no beta for GOG.

In 2.3, you can greatly decrease lag problems in Multiplayer:
    - don't use any container on clients' characters
    - always let the host loot everything
    - don't save when a party member is dead
    - preferably, use party members 2-4, not 5-6 for clients

I have personally played 2.3 from Candlekeep to the Throne fight in Multiplayer, so you should be fine.
    edited December 2017

@burracus_max There's no beta for GOG.

In 2.3, you can greatly decrease lag problems in Multiplayer:
    - don't use any container on clients' characters
    - always let the host loot everything
    - don't save when a party member is dead
    - preferably, use party members 2-4, not 5-6 for clients

I have personally played 2.3 from Candlekeep to the Throne fight in Multiplayer, so you should be fine.

Thanx for all these tips. However, the beta should be ready for GOG also soon no?
    For me, slots 2-3 are the ones working without lag (slot 4 lags).... makes any sense?