The thread for happiness/spreading your joy

Comments

• dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    I considered myself lucky for 3 things but i will only name 1
    1. My greatest stat is Wisdom.
    and that make me very very happy.
    BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

I've finally reached the endgame for the ~4th draft of my novel. The re-writing of the story is a whole story unto itself, but the basic deal is that I had to completely overhaul the entire plot, delete several beloved characters and tens of thousands of words of writing, and do countless hours of research in order to accurately portray a three-month-long, 2,000-mile voyage from the rural town of Ponnagyun on the coast of Myanmar to the capital of Tibet, in an alternate timeline of the year 1910.

It's taken 10 months to re-construct the novel from scratch, but it's finally coming together.

Woohoo, love me some alternate history. I'm currently reading/re-reading the Ring of Fire series.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited March 2018
    BillyYank said:

I've finally reached the endgame for the ~4th draft of my novel. The re-writing of the story is a whole story unto itself, but the basic deal is that I had to completely overhaul the entire plot, delete several beloved characters and tens of thousands of words of writing, and do countless hours of research in order to accurately portray a three-month-long, 2,000-mile voyage from the rural town of Ponnagyun on the coast of Myanmar to the capital of Tibet, in an alternate timeline of the year 1910.

It's taken 10 months to re-construct the novel from scratch, but it's finally coming together.

Woohoo, love me some alternate history. I'm currently reading/re-reading the Ring of Fire series.
    Speaking of reading I'm really looking forward to reading the Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm not going to start it until the HBO series finale though. The books are always better and I don't want to spoil anything (at least any more than they already are).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @JoenSo: I've actually never heard of David-Neel's book! I just started reading it and right now I'm about halfway through it.

There are actually some interesting similarities. Both David-Neel and my main character, Indra, travel from Yunnan to Lhasa and have to go in disguise. In David-Neel's case, her disguise was to avoid the authorities who would enforce a ban on foreigners traveling to Lhasa, but in Indra's case, she's hiding from both the local authorities and a shadowy group of Japanese spies.

The Japanese want to kidnap her in order to gain access to a time machine, while the Chinese authorities want to execute her because she's possessed by the ghost of a genocidal maniac that Indra has nicknamed "Scarfy."
    JoenSololien
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Wow, those are some very interesting similarities! And what a cool way to describe a novel "Like the journeys of David-Néel, with spies and time machines!"

I like how positive David-Néel is in her writing (to keep with the theme of this thread). Even when she talks about being lost and nearly starving to death in the wilderness she can't contain her excitement over how beautiful the forests of Tibet were.
    semiticgoddess
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    JoenSo said:

This Swedish children's book that I've illustrated (didn't write though) is now for sale after a lot of work. I got a box of books from the publishers and it's always a joy to see your drawings finally finished and printed.

The district where I grew up had a street named after you: the Söderholmstraat. Or maybe it wasn't you, but the Nobelprize winner of the same name ;) .
    mlneveseJoenSoSkatan[Deleted User]
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Yesterday, I got accepted into a part-time creative writing programme after months of hesitation to apply. c:

I'm already learning quite a lot in the first course. In a few weeks, the novel writing course starts, which is daunting but also exciting. To see my ork rogue have her first story will be awesome. :3 She's going to help a small dragon find his friend.

I wish I had never stopped writing. Life can be unexpectedly short. I want to see what I can do. :)

Best of luck in your endeavor. I stopped writing years ago when I got a good job. I keep thinking someday I'll pick it up again, but I never do. It doesn't help that I'm my own worst critic...
    [Deleted User]lolienSkatan
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Balrog99ProontlolienJoenSo
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Get a room!
    semiticgoddessBalrog99ThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

Consider going back to write some short scenes that sound cool. :) I read that the only way to get good at a creative thing is to try and fail, slowly improving. The important thing is to try at something you really want to be good, then keep rebuilding it.

Writing shorter stuff is often how I get out of a writer's block. An exercise I like to do is to take some minor character from whatever story I'm stuck on and write a single scene with them that is totally unrelated to the story itself. Just some random moment of their life. It's easier to write when it's short, you develop the minor characters of your story and you get some general writing practice. And you often end up with pretty interesting short stories.
    [Deleted User]Skatan
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JoenSo