Skip to content

Post something that everyone likes but you

18910111214»

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Skatan said:

Dinosaurs in any other setting than pre-historic Earth. I know it's pretty stupid of me that I can somehow accept having a wyvern or pseduo-dragon pet/familiar etc, but not a dinosaur. But adding dinos into whatever setting just make it too teeny for me, too much fan-service.

@Skatan I can see that. When I got my first AD&D MM by Gygax in the 80's, most stuff was based of legend ,myth, heraldry, etc., inc. fantasy writing of the early to mid 20th century. The dinos seemed a to little 'RL' to be chucked in with all the rest and for me makes the fantasy a little less fantasy- like. Given that, cave bears, and dire wolves were a little easier to accept. I guess cause they were not so far back as the dino stuff.
    The same went for Deities n Demigods of the time as well, in a way. Choosing the RL myth Gods never got my interest as much as choosing those from the world of Greyhawk (the main setting for a while in AD&D IIRC). The RL god myths seemed less fantastical than the creatures from my aforementioned example.
    Not sure if that makes sense but that's what I was thinking when reading the post.
    Interesting observation. :)

ThacoBell said:

@Skatan HOW DARE YOU. Dinosaurs automatically make everything better.

O rly?

Or, for that matter:

I bet the the Inquisition woulda had a field day with that one ;):)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Contemplative_Hamster I see nothing but improvement.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Skatan said:

Dinosaurs in any other setting than pre-historic Earth. I know it's pretty stupid of me that I can somehow accept having a wyvern or pseduo-dragon pet/familiar etc, but not a dinosaur. But adding dinos into whatever setting just make it too teeny for me, too much fan-service.

Would it be less teeny if they had feathers? Like apparently a number of dinosaurs did (even though they aren't normally depicted with them).
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited December 2017
    elminster said:

Skatan said:

Would it be less teeny if they had feathers? Like apparently a number of dinosaurs did (even though they aren't normally depicted with them).
    Well, no. But if someone would be inspired by dinosaurs and use that in the setting, I would be fine with that. But if my companion (as in NVN2) is obviously a velociraptor, you quickly lose me. If it would be a lizardy being, with scales, fangs and a tail, but not exactly like the believed standard for a raptor, I would be more ok with that.

I'm not saying this is rational, but it is the way I feel. @Zaghoul said it well and I agree to what he said. It's not only that, but partly.

It's like adding the panda guy in WoW. I dunno why I can think a bear or lion guy is ok, but not a panda, but I do. I can't even say exactly why, I just do.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Zaghoul said:

ThacoBell said:

@Skatan HOW DARE YOU. Dinosaurs automatically make everything better.

O rly?

Or, for that matter:

I bet the the Inquisition woulda had a field day with that one ;):)
    Ah yes, who can forget that one verse in Revelation...

‘And so the Lord shall return atop the sacred triceratops to gather the faithful, and they shall ride with Him into heaven on the backs of celestial velociraptors.’
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Wasn't there one book, one of several left out of the Bible, that had Jesus sending away dragons

Link

I'd heard of these but had never seen any of them.
    Apochrypha is an interesting rabbit hole.
    Yeah, the Apocrypha. Books left out by church leaders at the time because they did not fit "their" ideas or considered 'false'.
    I came upon some wild stuff in my earlier days in college studying early and medieval church history.

Don't mess with Jesus, I'm pretty sure is the moral of some of these for darn sure. :)
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18948_5-real-deleted-bible-scenes-in-which-jesus-kicks-some-ass.html
    I found a site that has some of my favs, esp the Infancy Gospel of Thomas. I still remember the one with him playing in the mudpuddle when I found this site.

I think church folk could get a few more converts with some of that these days.

Bout 30 yrs ago when I was laid up all summer between semesters after back surgery I read the Bible, cover to cover. There is some rough stuff in there, hehheh.
    Some cool scenes IN the BIble from Cracked as well (put in a modern light.
    http://www.cracked.com/article_15699_the-9-most-badass-bible-verses.html
    Gave me a couple nice laughs this am.

The Bible, not as boring as some make it out to , esp, when looking at some of the left out stuff.
    @Zaghoul The biggest problem with the Apocrypha is that many of them are claimed to be written by people (apostles, old prohpets, etc.) when they can be pretty easily dated as being impossible to be written by them. There is also the issue of the writings being wildly inconsistent with the other 90% of the accepted canon. It makes more sense for the minority with falesly attributed writers to be wrong than the majority, that actually fits into a coherent timeline.
    Yup, I just think they are interesting reads from both a religious and academic perspective. :)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Have you guys read Richard Carrier? Very interesting stuff.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2017
    Rotten Tomatoes

(Although admittedly that is in part because the media constantly uses the fresh score instead of the average score)
    The Disney Star Wars movies apparently.

Have you guys read Richard Carrier? Very interesting stuff.

I have not but I did read up a little on what he is up to when you mentioned him. Seems like has taken the research pretty seriously though. I've never been out to prove/disprove anything regardless. :)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Between Christmas and New Year I've seen The Last Jedi in cinema. The impression the movie left me required me to spend some time to think about what I saw. About how the movie holds up as Star Wars movie, how it holds up as the stand-alone movie, about characters, plot, possible future scenarios and so on. But that's not the main point of my post.

What I truly hate and what (from what I have observe over the internet) people apparently love is to judge everything via political lenses instead of actual quality. Is as if they could not let go of politics for mere 2 hours 30 minutes of their lives.

I feel very alone because of this.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

@O_Bruce: You're not alone. I was baffled when I heard that people objected to political messages in the Last Jedi. Seriously, what political messages?

People often project meaning into works that are really just for entertainment.

I remember reading a news story some years ago about this. Basically a famous writer from my country made an admission exam to a local University and the text used in the reading interpretation test was his... he got a zero in that exam with the examiner adding a note that the candidate clearly couldn't understand the subtexts and intentions of the text author...

This deserves an entirely new thread actually...
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Overwatch

Well, any everyone-shooting-everyone kind of game.

Maybe because of the profession, who knows.

If you want to get a little closer from what a military operation really looks like, play ARMA III.