Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Speaking of which, the Iron Throne's doors are not locked and the guards are easily bribeable.

I'm sure being one of Baldur's Gate top trading companies, the Iron Throne can afford to beef up their security.

Oh well, at least they have Cloudwife...too bad he's on the 5th floor which is optional in Chapter 5.
    ThacoBellMontresor_SPProontsarevok57
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Blunt weapons can hurt stone golems. They just need to be +2 or higher.
    ZaramMaldovar
    @Balrog99
    Isn't the Butterknife of Balduran actually a pretty decent dagger or am I confusing it for a different weapon that can be found on the Island?

That's awesome. If you have the Orcish Cookbook or the The Recipes and Ruminations of One Dradeel of Tethyr in your off-hand, you get an extra attack with the butterknife.

Or you have the Troll Cookbook...actually you can't have it. But you CAN hop on that stove over there.

Balrog99booinyoureyes
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

@Balrog99
    Isn't the Butterknife of Balduran actually a pretty decent dagger or am I confusing it for a different weapon that can be found on the Island?

Other than a bit of gold it's worthless. You can't even equip it!
    ZaramMaldovarProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    On Sword Coast, EVERYONE is the Fist of the North Star.
    GrumProont
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208

Baldur's Gate Logic: If you throw a dart or a knife or an axe at someone, it will break and be lost forever, just like a flimsy wooden arrow would break when it hit its target. In fact, if you throw a rock at somebody, it will also break beyond all repair.

The only way to continue throwing rocks is to purchase them in bulk, paying one gold coin for 40 rocks, because rocks are just that valuable and hard to find on your own.

Baldur's Gate Logic: If you hit somebody hard enough, they will explode into bloody chunks.

In fact, arrows, bolts and bullets work like target-seeking missiles, turning corners and going through obstacles to seek out their intended targets. If someone fires a missile at you, it will follow you around if you try to dodge it.

Faerûn may not have planes, trains or automobiles but they do have cruise missiles! :lol:
    ThacoBellsarevok57ZaghoulProont
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    There are actually special sling bullets, but they are kind of conical and not like marbles.

If you want to add some roleplay element to your sling-using Charname you can always imagine that they do like the people of the ancient world and write snarky things like "catch!" on their bullets.
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/63739/sarcastic-jokes-found-roman-bullets
    Montresor_SPProontChroniclerContemplative_Hamster
    NPCs may have last names that are not mentioned on the screen.
    If Charname is given a last name, everyone refers to him/her by their full name.
    ThacoBellZaghoulMontresor_SP
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2018
    toolarg said:

In the highly populated - almost continental in size- United States of America 33 people were killed and 234 were injured by lightning strikes annually during the 10-year period of 2004-2013. This is out of a population of 325 million.
    In the sparsely populated rural Sword Coast, which is so small in size you can travel from north to south or east to west in like 3 days, by foot, lightning strikes people 3 times per hour.

That's what you get for carrying a metal conductor in your head during a thunder storm I guess, or a massive two-hander. Closer comparison would be to golfers playing during thunder storms.

Chronicler
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

toolarg said:

In the highly populated - almost continental in size- United States of America 33 people were killed and 234 were injured by lightning strikes annually during the 10-year period of 2004-2013. This is out of a population of 325 million.
    In the sparsely populated rural Sword Coast, which is so small in size you can travel from north to south or east to west in like 3 days, by foot, lightning strikes people 3 times per hour.

That's what you get for carrying a metal conductor in your head during a thunder storm I guess, or a massive two-hander. Closer comparison would be to golfers playing during thunder storms.

From what I understand, the coding isn't quite that advanced though. It has an equal chance of hitting anybody, regardless of how conductive they are.

Apparently if you get a thunderstorm going in the city it'll usually just take out random peasants periodically, by sheer numbers of them. I don't think I've ever seen that happen myself though.
    histamiini
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

toolarg said:

From what I understand, the coding isn't quite that advanced though. It has an equal chance of hitting anybody, regardless of how conductive they are.

Apparently if you get a thunderstorm going in the city it'll usually just take out random peasants periodically, by sheer numbers of them. I don't think I've ever seen that happen myself though.
    i've seen thunder storms take out drizzt :)
    ThacoBellMontresor_SPProont
    toolarg said:

Dorn: "HELP ME, 9 CHARISMA CHARNAME , IM HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME TALKING TO PEOPLE WITH MY 16 CHA POINTS"

Actually that's completely logical, Dorn may be a decent leading type and really intimidating, but that's the thing, nobody is going to want to talk to the demonicly clad half-orc blackguard no matter how high his charisma is because they are going to be too busy crapping their pants with fear.
    ZaghoulBalrog99Proont

toolarg said:

Dorn: "HELP ME, 9 CHARISMA CHARNAME , IM HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME TALKING TO PEOPLE WITH MY 16 CHA POINTS"

Actually that's completely logical, Dorn may be a decent leading type and really intimidating, but that's the thing, nobody is going to want to talk to the demonicly clad half-orc blackguard no matter how high his charisma is because they are going to be too busy crapping their pants with fear.
    I mean, nobody knows about his demonic connections unless he tells them, and the player may also be a half-orc, so I'm not sure how well that holds up.

Charisma's a complicated stat though. I don't get the impression Dorn's charisma score is because of his stellar interpersonal skills if you catch my drift. Somebody can also have a high charisma score for having a Large or Intimidating presence, and that seems more like Dorn.
    ThacoBellZaramMaldovarGrum
    Skatan said:

toolarg said:

I mean, nobody knows about his demonic connections unless he tells them, and the player may also be a half-orc, so I'm not sure how well that holds up.

Charisma's a complicated stat though. I don't get the impression Dorn's charisma score is because of his stellar interpersonal skills if you catch my drift. Somebody can also have a high charisma score for having a Large or Intimidating presence, and that seems more like Dorn.
    ..or you have it because arbitrary class-requirements that make little sense RP wise.
    Blackguards have different Stat Minimums than the rest of paladins. Their charisma can go as low as 14. Dorn's charisma isn't required to be as high as it is.
    semiticgoddessThacoBelltoolargProont
    Also Minsc proves that the engine doesn't even need legal stats to be make an NPC. As does Kagain and Coran...unless the latter two somehow stumbled across stat increasing tomes in their relatively mediocre Pre-Charname adventuring careers.
    ThacoBellProont