@Quickblade
    Mind over (failed) logic confirmed?

Also thanks for the 900th comment.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

sarevok57 said:

NWN logic:

chests: can score critical hits on them
    constructs: cannot score critical hits on them

Just think of chests as constructs that are bound and can't move, thus automatic hit and crit.
    in 3rd edition dnd i think the reasoning on critical hits is that the "creature" has to have vital organs to be able to critical hit them, hence the reason why constructs/plants/undead/oozes cannot be critical hitted, but chests? i guess they are just creatures in disguise pumping out all the anatomy in the world for you to critical hit on :)
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Cabal82 said:

BG logic: if you give the dagger +2 to Revenant: little xp and the dagger is gone (what has he done with it?) Kill the smelly undead: big xp and the dagger is yours. Decisions, decisions..

That is something I still see with big potential for a mod to add a quest, giving a better reward. Helping the the ol rev get his revenge on you know who up in BG would be all kinds of fun. B)
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Zaghoul
    That actually sounds like a super interesting quest.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    JoenSo said:

Now there's one thing I miss with the original BG2: the loading screen reminding you that you should go get something to eat.

That loading screen was full of all sorts of helpful tips! If I recall it was where I learned that you could knock people unconscious by attacking with your fists.

It's always surprising when a new player doesn't get the quicksaving thing. Those loading screens really just hammered in the importance of quicksaving over and over again.

I suppose it can't be helped though. The game loads so fast these days I wouldn't be able to read them anyway.
    @Chronicler
    It's how I found out that fire/acid (and pretty much nothing else) kills Trolls.

The first time I ran across a Fire Troll I panicked...then I thought it out a little.
    @sarevok57
    To be fair....It's gibberlings.
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2018
    Jardak and Drelik in city of Baldurs Gate. Interesting persons, great loot on Jardak - but no quest! Helm of glory deserves better! Is there some story behind this? Some planned but unfinished stuff? Helm is so great for paladin that I was forced to make up some RP reason why my cavalier entered the house. I never killed Drelik, just charmed him. And Jardak still accused me that I have killed his servant and attacked me. Selfdefense for sure! ;)
    Cabal82 said:

Jardak and Drelik in city of Baldurs Gate. Interesting persons, great loot on Jardak - but no quest! Helm of glory deserves better! Is there some story behind this? Some planned but unfinished stuff? Helm is so great for paladin that I was forced to make up some RP reason why my cavalier entered the house. I never killed Drelik, just charmed him. And Jardak still accused me that I have killed his servant and attacked me. Selfdefense for sure! ;)

rumor has it that jardak has something to do with the helm of balduran quest, but not sure if that has been implemented or if that is part of some "unfinished business" project
    edited March 2018
    @sarevok57
    That would actually be an Intelligence failure and not a Wisdom Failure, it's a common mistake.

Intelligence is how knowledgeable you are, Wisdom is how you apply that knowledge.

An example:
    Zaram has an INT score of 17 and a WIS score of 7

Zaram understands everything there is to know about making and using Fireballs.

But Zaram often throws those Fireballs at inappropriate moments.

Jaheria has an INT score of 10 and a WIS score of 14

Jaheria has no idea how Fireballs work, but understands that the party's resident arcane magic users shouldn't hurl a Fireball into a crowd of peasants just to kill an Ice Troll.
    i thought wisdom was used for "perception checks" and the fact that we were already in nashkel when she said that made me think she failed her perception check
    @sarevok57
    I to have heard this, but I don't know for sure since I've never played tabletop myself.

From a logical standpoint I think Jaheria would be more than Intelligent enough to realize she is in Nashkel already.

I know how to describe the difference between INT and WIS, I don't know how checks work.

I really need to play Tabletop but for now I'm settling for watching TFS at the Table
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    sarevok57 said:

i thought wisdom was used for "perception checks" and the fact that we were already in nashkel when she said that made me think she failed her perception check

In this case INT would be Jaheira reading and maybe memorizing Nashkel is a town, WIS would be her perception of actually being in Nashkel. So, I think @sarevok57 is correct here based upon what I've read. But same as you @ZaramMaldovar, I've never actually played PnP or had a human DM asking for rolls based on the rules.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I think she should not whine about going to Nashkel but instead about talking to Berrun because that is the ultimate trigger to 'finish' that stage of the quest.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited March 2018
    lroumen said:

I think she should not whine about going to Nashkel but instead about talking to Berrun because that is the ultimate trigger to 'finish' that stage of the quest.

I remember having read that after talking to Berrun, you can take ages before going to the mines, without her ever complaining you're not proceeding. Like she cares the task is given, but she doesn't care about it being completed.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

Jaheria has no idea how Fireballs work, but understands that the party's resident arcane magic users shouldn't hurl a Fireball into a crowd of peasants just to kill an Ice Troll.

Well clearly me and Jaheira disagree on where I should or shouldn't hurl a fireball.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Charname: Picks up a Skull
    Description: This appears to be the skull of another human being.
    Charname: Is a Dwarf

I mean, I guess it's probably not the first human being, so still technically accurate.
    Yeah, just another human skull. There's piles of them everywhere in Faerûn!
    Balrog99 said:

Yeah, just another human skull. There's piles of them everywhere in Faerûn!

That actually sounds incredibly believable, considering all the wars that have happened in human lead societies. However, there would be probably also be slightly smaller piles of other humanoid skulls.

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Montresor_SP Hehheh, It is a bit strange. I guess thieves are smarter and wiser than mages and priests with their magical traps such as the good ol skulltrap, that blows everybody up. I know if I set up a bunch of springtraps (or buried spike traps) in close proximity in RL, I would not want to navigate through them myself (not at full speed esp.), much less tell friendlies "Sure, walk right on through, they're perfectly safe." Wellllll, I might, depending on my alignment. :D;)
    I always thought to myself it was a little strange setting up a bunch of traps outside a tavern or something (not that I don't mind you ;) , knowing I was going to lure out an enemy out. Yeah sure, someone going in might make their way around them, but someone coming out 'whiskey drunk' is gonna plow right on through, snappity snap, clang, snap, Ouch!, but doesn't happen.
    (I think this is ten traps, but I'm going with it anyway- somebody might be using the Tweaks option to remove trap limits, heh)