Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Timestop would be great fun if you could use it in-dialogue to solve situations in innovative ways.

"...as for you, I said get your stinkin' hide out of my way!"
    ----> Cast Timestop, put a flasher master bruiser mate in Cohrvale's pants and walk away
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    JoenSo said:

Timestop would be great fun if you could use it in-dialogue to solve situations in innovative ways.

"...as for you, I said get your stinkin' hide out of my way!"
    ----> Cast Timestop, put a flasher master bruiser mate in Cohrvale's pants and walk away

One of the many reasons 1) I love pen and paper, and 2) you don't mess with arch-mages, especially if they have a sense of humor.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I have this vague memory that Time stop doesn't actually stop time for everyone else, but is more like Improved Insane Ultra Haste for the caster. Some lore-wise person here who can confirm?

I personally like the magic/alchemy mix a lot thematically but couldn't really be bothered with it in actual gameplay. I mean, I like the idea of combining different kinds of knowledge to some awesome synergy. But having to carry around a sack of guano that my mage needs to brush her teeth with every time she wants to cast magic missile or something? Naaah, I got better things to do
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Re magic and alchemy.

If you have to relearn spells everyday after you have used them up, then how do you know what ingredients you need to carry around?
    Or is it that the amount of ingredients dictates how many spells you can cast?

But then, why would a higher level mage have more ingredients, a rich mage of whatever level would always have the advantage.
    A rich and strong mage would be able to carry tons of ingredients, they would win.

And why is it always guano?

It's all illogical.
    Only way I can get around the mechanics in game is to believe that spells are slippery because of their nature and the "weave" and a person simply can't keep too many straight and sorted out in their head.
    Hence high intelligence being the main factor.

Having hints like "oh look, I have some guano in my pocket, what's that for, oh yes it's to cast MM, bugger still can't remember the sequence/words/actions" is too much of a stretch for me.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    JoenSo said:

I have this vague memory that Time stop doesn't actually stop time for everyone else, but is more like Improved Insane Ultra Haste for the caster. Some lore-wise person here who can confirm?

In PnP, Time Stop just makes the caster move so fast that it's virtually stopping time for the caster.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    bleusteel said:

1e and 2e Time Stop only stopped time in a 15’ radius sphere. 1e duration was .5 segment per level + 1d8 rounds (or maybe segments?). 2e duration was 1d3 rounds.

How is that even possible? I know magic is magic, but how can time be stopped in just one small part of the world? It's start all sorts of philosophical questions on "what is time". The idea that all living beings 'freeze' or that the caster is so ridiculously fast that they seem to move while everyone else are stuck in timestop is much more believable (if that word can even be used in these kind of situations, hehe)

And btw, I'm not questioning you personally @bleusteel, it's more of a rhetorical question based on your insightful input.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Skatan said:

How is that even possible? I know magic is magic, but how can time be stopped in just one small part of the world?

Have you ever been to a Catholic wedding or had to go to a BMV branch in the state of Maryland? It becomes all too believable then.

[For the record, I grew up Catholic, ostensibly, so I know whereof I speak.]
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Skatan said:

bleusteel said:

1e and 2e Time Stop only stopped time in a 15’ radius sphere. 1e duration was .5 segment per level + 1d8 rounds (or maybe segments?). 2e duration was 1d3 rounds.

How is that even possible? I know magic is magic, but how can time be stopped in just one small part of the world? It's start all sorts of philosophical questions on "what is time".
    It's possible because Faerun doesn't operate on natural laws brought into being by an uncaring universe but by God Magic, which aint gotta explain s***.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Skatan said:

bleusteel said:

How is that even possible? I know magic is magic, but how can time be stopped in just one small part of the world? It's start all sorts of philosophical questions on "what is time". The idea that all living beings 'freeze' or that the caster is so ridiculously fast that they seem to move while everyone else are stuck in timestop is much more believable (if that word can even be used in these kind of situations, hehe)

And btw, I'm not questioning you personally @bleusteel, it's more of a rhetorical question based on your insightful input.
    If I had to come up with a real-world explanation, I would say time dilation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

The caster invokes a mini-singularity from which they are protected (by magic!). The small scale of the singularity means it only affects a tiny area.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    bleusteel said:

Skatan said:

bleusteel said:

If I had to come up with a real-world explanation, I would say time dilation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

The caster invokes a mini-singularity from which they are protected (by magic!). The small scale of the singularity means it only affects a tiny area.
    This is starting to sound like one of those explanations at XKCD's "What If?" blog. Specifically the ones that contain phrases like "expanding plasma cloud" and "sizable crater"

The Relativistic Baseball entry has this to say about moving so fast that everything else appears stationary:
    Normally, air would flow around anything moving through it. But the air molecules in front of this ball don’t have time to be jostled out of the way. The ball smacks into them so hard that the atoms in the air molecules actually fuse with the atoms in the ball’s surface. Each collision releases a burst of gamma rays and scattered particles.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited May 2018
    But in Faerun, aren't planets planets? Or is it something completely different? I've always assumed it's still a planet orbiting around a star since there's a day/night cycle with weather just as on Earth. This means that if you stop time in a small part of the world, how the hell do you metamagically and physically explain the fact that the interstellar object you are on (the planet) move in space while the small part of it that you stop in time does not?

Not even the "magic is magic, duh" works on that in my head.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited May 2018
    Unpopular opinion: GOG makes sure to update their BG series games as soon as the patches are released.
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

JoenSo said:

In PnP, Time Stop just makes the caster move so fast that it's virtually stopping time for the caster.
    Reminds me of those Quicksilver scenes from the Marvel movies.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Does time really stop or is that just the name given to the spell because that's what it looks like?

What's wrong with everything being held in stasis for a bit, effect would be the same.
    That would also explain why some things are immune.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    In general, BG2 doesn't follow PnP rules. In BG2, Time Stop stops time, and some critters are immune to it somehow. I don't think there's an answer to these questions.
    Skatan said:

But in Faerun, aren't planets planets?

Planet is not a scientifically legitimate term.

In general, BG2 doesn't follow PnP rules. In BG2, Time Stop stops time, and some critters are immune to it somehow. I don't think there's an answer to these questions.

• bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    edited May 2018
    Skatan said:

But in Faerun, aren't planets planets? Or is it something completely different? I've always assumed it's still a planet orbiting around a star since there's a day/night cycle with weather just as on Earth. This means that if you stop time in a small part of the world, how the hell do you metamagically and physically explain the fact that the interstellar object you are on (the planet) move in space while the small part of it that you stop in time does not?

Not even the "magic is magic, duh" works on that in my head.

This was weaponized in the Strontium Dog comics:

(Edit-Looking for a decent link)

Otherwise, I think an intense gravity field explains the effect best.
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    I miss sexual magic in BG and I can't believe is left apart. in table top, there was a Dragon Magazine article about this. How can there no be conversations and encounters about spells and potions used to modify time and space, polymorphing, charming (with prior consense), in sex?...
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    @MonoCanalla I would expect that there are numerous legal reasons why it would be unwise to go there.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

I miss sexual magic in BG and I can't believe is left apart. in table top, there was a Dragon Magazine article about this. How can there no be conversations and encounters about spells and potions used to modify time and space, polymorphing, charming (with prior consense), in sex?...

Be careful what you wish for. Without going into graphic detail, in my experience most "sexual encounters" in Pen and Paper involve enchantment spells and/or grapple checks. Some real sick people play D&D.

Malicron said:

Be careful what you wish for. Without going into graphic detail, in my experience most "sexual encounters" in Pen and Paper involve enchantment spells and/or grapple checks. Some real sick people play D&D.
    True. Healthy people use Diplomacy rolls and Use Rope checks.
    Well, as long as the Use Rope check is a result of successful Diplomacy check as opposed to a failed one, that sounds like a hell of a time. ;)
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    :wink::)
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Or an Appraise check...
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    Malicron said:

In modding mayhaps, but I'm sure there is no sick people in Beamdog.