Skip to content

Elder Scrolls : The dumbing down

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Vallmyr said:

Ughhhhh I really hope not <_< >_>

I just hope they rethink what they are doing and add stuff rather than removing stuff. Also make speechcraft fun again.

The commercial success of Fallout 4, despite having a less positive reception compared to the previous Bethesda games, shows that Todd and Pete will never listen to the old school TES and Fallout fans (who often gets dismissed as pretentious neckbeards). So i don't expect anything close to the level of Morrowind from their next games, although i am curious about their new IPs. Like i said before, the more idiosyncratic and clever aspects of a franchise must be effaced or streamlined in order to achieve mainstream success as entertainment properties, even if it's inescapable that those idiosyncratic aspects will always remain the source of the franchise's appeal.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited May 2018
    Ith drak urlrath kahul mej vas kahlee. I hate it when games waste my time with a bunch of kvklethih. Nonsense. In taking up a huge amount of my time with shalaki, tek words, that signify nothing.

Alash var dun kaleen vor natak gor vul lar ree kas dun bah... Whoever wrote the dragon dialogue needs to go back to ulrath, college. To remember some very basic yarvnakalatukasdjas. Rules. For writing gurell. Fiction.
    Post edited by voidofopinion on
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    I do think the comercial success was mostly due to the marketing and brand's name. Streamlining is less of an issue.

When on hype train, people tend to miss some signs that the product is most likely not going to be any good when compared to F3 or New Vegas. The hints were there, from gameplay trailers to character attributes teasers etc.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    They've said they've learned some lessons from Fallout 4.
    EA said they learned some lessions from Battlefront... Then we got Battlefront 2.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651

EA

We don't speak that name here.

EA

''Fuck you EA! You killed Ultima fuck you!''
    -Spoony
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited May 2018

EA

-Spoony
    Alot of publishers killed classic series in that era by simply forcing the studios to releases games that weren't finished, or even technically PLAYABLE from beginning to end (Might & Magic IX, Ultima VIII and IX). This was in a day and age were getting a patch was virtually impossible as well. That said, Ultima VIII would have been total trash with or without the interference of EA, as it has some of the worst gameplay I've ever seen in a video game. Even if it had been perfect, it still would have been a steaming pile of trash compared to VII. The recent release of Shroud of the Avatar proves Richard Garriott lost the plot sometime in the early-90s and never recovered. In hindsight, only IV-VII are even worth considering playing.

EA

Never forgive. Never forget.

EA

Never forgive. Never forget.
    The North remembers.

EA

-Spoony
    Alot of publishers killed classic series in that era by simply forcing the studios to releases games that weren't finished, or even technically PLAYABLE from beginning to end (Might & Magic IX, Ultima VIII and IX). This was in a day and age were getting a patch was virtually impossible as well. That said, Ultima VIII would have been total trash with or without the interference of EA, as it has some of the worst gameplay I've ever seen in a video game. Even if it had been perfect, it still would have been a steaming pile of trash compared to VII. The recent release of Shroud of the Avatar proves Richard Garriott lost the plot sometime in the early-90s and never recovered. In hindsight, only IV-VII are even worth considering playing.
    Have you watched Spoony's retrospective on the Ultima Series? Its Epic and very well crafted. Especially the Ultima 8 and 9 episodes.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

EA

-Spoony
    Have you watched Spoony's retrospective on the Ultima Series? Its Epic and very well crafted. Especially the Ultima 8 and 9 episodes.
    If you can stand his sometimes VERY caustic personality.

EA

-Spoony
    I have. I enjoy his older work. There IS no current work to speak of, since he seems to have had a complete mental break from reality in the last 3 years. He managed to throw away a $5000 a month Patreon gig and somehow reduce it to less than $500 in 2 years.

EA said they learned some lessions from Battlefront... Then we got Battlefront 2.

To be fair, they showed they learned very specific lessons about Battlefront (no DLC, single player campaign). I'd argue that the lootboxes are part of a much broader problem at EA, not specific to Battlefront 2. It's just that it was the lightning rod because of the sheer number of games that pointlessly added lootboxes that came out around the same time and because of the Star Wars license. That doesn't make it okay, but I think it explains why I don't think this is necessarily a refutation.
    ThacoBell said:

If you can stand his sometimes VERY caustic personality.
    I can't stand his rape jokes. Okay, rape joke. There was one, but it turned me off.

EA

-Spoony
    Patches were sometimes easy to get if you had internet access at the time.
    So the next big Bethesda project is.....another Fallout game. But not THAT kind of Fallout game, but a online multiplayer survival Fallout game. Excuse me while I go throw-up......
    I don't think we're getting word of the next actual next big Bethesda project until E3.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

So the next big Bethesda project is.....another Fallout game. But not THAT kind of Fallout game, but a online multiplayer survival Fallout game. Excuse me while I go throw-up......

Source?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

Interplay wanted to make a Fallout MMO too before going into financial crisis.

O_Bruce said:
    I just want Beth to make a better Elder Scrolls game in terms of roleplaying and writing. I have never been a big Fallout fan, i'm more of a Baldur's Gate guy when It comes to Black Isle games (and not because of the setting, Fallout 1 and 2 are pretty clunky compared to BG gameplay), so i'm not upset about the streamlined mechanics and lore inconsistencies as much as the NMA and Codex crowd and i don't see anything wrong with a MMO if done correctly and doesn't have influence on the main series. But Fallout tends to fall into Beth's worst impulses so throughly that i'll be surprised if the MMO turns out to be a good game.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    O_Bruce said:
    No Fallout 1/2 Enhanced Edition? Screw Bethesda.
    I'm gonna commit some heresy here, but the gameplay in Fallout 1 and 2 is horrible. It is frankly shocking how bad it feels compared to Infinity Engine games. Even as a turn-based game (which should be easy to pull off), it feels like you are constantly battling the interface. I honestly can't stand playing them no matter how good the content is underneath.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I was very far into the game before I started to enjoy Fallout 2 at all. With some levels and more interesting weapons it starts to get better. But I was ready to give up on the whole thing when combat was all about trying to understand that clunky interface only so I could miss with the single shot pipe rifle, reload, wait for the enemy to miss and then repeat ad infinitum.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited June 2018
    Hehe, yeah all those goddamn GUI things slowly moving up and down is a killer and unless you have some meta knowledge and plan ahead (I always play with max INT and AGI) you can really make your char feel weak and slow, especially in the beginning before a couple of levels and perks make you better.

Personally, my favorite playthrough in FO2 was with melee with max AP and 5 or so attacks per round using spiked knuckles for the first half of the game and then using the powered gauntlets.
    A gunslinger "shoot from the hip" guy can have 2 AP per pistol attack and will tear through anyone and anything using the Magnums (two, so you can switch without having to reload).
    I still haven't played with any mods. I would have liked to play one with a mod that fixes the ammo bugs so that armor piercing round actually work, but I haven't got around to do that yet.
    Vallmyr said:

Vallmyr said:

As a person who never plays humans, I'm ok with the eradication of the human races so they better let me join the Thalmor (that would never happen lol)

Well, it's not that simple... I don't think the Elder Scrolls would be playable as a series of games if the Thalmor got what they wanted.

Unless they really just want part of Hammerfell and the end of Talos worship, and the rest is just theorizing.
    Yeah it was more of me just jesting since I hate humans in fantasy RPGs. I don't see them as actually joinable if they are the prime antagonists.
    That's the reason i don't like Final Fantasy. Zero roleplaying involved, you're always a human Pretty boy with silly clothes who must save the world. And Tidus and Wakka are obnoxious as Baator. Auron should have been the main character.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited June 2018
    Eh, you can play with Auron for pretty much the whole game.
    Vallmyr said:

I think they will stay alive thanks to Beamdog, Obsidian, and Larian Studios. Bethesda and Bioware have shown little interest in keeping RPGs about roleplaying and would rather do power fantasies and cinematic stories. I should mention I am very salty about these two companies due to their recent works >_>

The problem with Obsidian and Larian is that they are currently focused on making stagnant Baldur's Gate clones and they don't have the resources to make something on the level of CD Project.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Deadfire and Original Sin 2 are both awesome. All the Witcher games suck.
    Fardragon said:

Deadfire and Original Sin 2 are both awesome. All the Witcher games suck.

We Can agree to disagree.
This discussion has been closed.