Skip to content

jRPG's aren't RPGs.

123457»

Comments

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @SorcererV1ct0r
    Um...you can kill npc in skyrim and oblivion so you're full of it. What you could do in morrow Ind from my memory is kill important npc which ultimately broke quests and the game itself. That's not consequence that's poor game design.

"I will look to that game. But one question, will be "the MC can use magic but will never be good as a side character with better status"?"
    You mean like in western rpg? We have that too, and no base states change with class. The only thing that stays the same regardless of job is the zodiac and the faith and brave mechanic which both can easily be brought up to 99 on everyone.

But you'll more than likely complain about certain npc having their own unique class that the mc can't get.

"IMHO i rather have a story with more a focus on World building than in character building."
    Then plays those games, some people actually like games that can be smart and actually tell a string story as well as allowing me to do stuff like raise the undead.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    For me Diablo is the poster boy of the action RPG and final fantasy of the jrpg genre, so if FF was made in USA it's still a JRPG. To be an RPG story game, there must be more roleplaying elements than linear movie style progression. So at one end of the scale a game like Uncharted has extremely minimal opportunity to roleplay and a text based choose your adventure game has very high elements. I think no game has 100% or 0%. Obviously getting above 50% is very gray and subjective. But you definitely score points for character creation, multiple endings, dialogue options, strategy choice, response to your choices, world changing, friendship/romance choice, quest choice/being able to say no, attribute reactivity, and more..
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176

Um...you can kill npc in skyrim and oblivion so you're full of it. What you could do in morrow Ind from my memory is kill important npc which ultimately broke quests and the game itself. That's not consequence that's poor game design.(...)

Better than you can't kill key NPC/Child even after you completed the important NPC quest. When i mean consequences, i don't mean only on be able to kill, you for example, joining in certain faction forces you to kill important npc in another faction during certain quests. You can't endup the game as highest rank in all houses and guides. You have your general reputation, a faction reputation and each NPC have a disposition

You mean like in western rpg? We have that too, and no base states change with class. The only thing that stays the same regardless of job is the zodiac and the faith and brave mechanic which both can easily be brought up to 99 on everyone.

Skyrim is very dumbed down. Why you don't talk about Morrowind, Daggerfall and Arena?

Then plays those games, some people actually like games that can be smart and actually tell a string story as well as allowing me to do stuff like raise the undead.

What jRPG allows me to to control an undead army like on Diablo 2? Or IWD?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @SorcererV1ct0r "What jRPG allows me to to control an undead army like on Diablo 2? Or IWD? "

I love how whenever one of your claims is pointed out as false, instead of engaging with it, you make up a new "reason" that JRPGs don't count. Half Minute Hero, btw, has a story where you play a dark lord raising undead armies. It also has a strict time constraint to get objectives done. This was just off the top of my head. You find more than this one game.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @ThacoBell
    I said it earlier, all he is doing at this point is moving the goal post.

Heck even in his second thing of mine he quoted, he assumed I was only referring to skyrim and complained that I wasn't talking about any wrpg he likes. Yet from what I can tell so far the only jrpg he's dropped by name is final fantasy 7 that's all I've seen @SorcererV1ct0r name drop since I've joined despite saying he played them. Heck going as far as to say they don't deal with mature themes yet there are series like persona which is a jrpg which is in fact famous for dealing with mental themes such as depression or fire emblem which I've personally never played but heard nothing but good things about which suppose to make it rival FFT.

I don't mention anything beyond general information about Morrowind becauae I haven't played morrowind since I had it on Xbox. That was years ago. Heck I haven't even played oblivion in years or Skyrim in possibly a year. But im also not the one name dropping them you are.
    So I have 2 questions for you and if im wrong please point it out;

1. Why are you only name dropping final fantasy 7? I understand not knowing FFT, it was completely overshadowed by 7's release.

2. Why did you ask me that, while quoting something that had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with any of the TES games?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @DragonKing He clearly didn't play for more than an hour of FFVIII either. It tackles at least one subject I haven't seen done in many games at all, let alone an RPG.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Things are way too hot in here. Thread closed.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    For future reference, if you find yourself in the middle of a tense discussion and things are heating up, it's a good idea to consider whether you're posting about the subject of the thread or about your fellow forumites. The former is perfectly fine, but making ungenerous comments about other forumites is against the Site Rules--and there are no exceptions or justifications for disrespectful behavior.
This discussion has been closed.