Skip to content

Exploits, Tricks, and Nonstandard Tactics

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    "inanimate unkillable neutral objects" - does that include Imoen in the starting dungeon (I've tried so many times)?
    lolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @dunbar: Nope. If you deal enough damage to Imoen in the starting dungeon, she will panic, leave the party, and escape the area, only reappearing in the cutscene with Irenicus and the Cowled Wizards.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    It should work if you paralyse or hold her but the belt may give immunity to those effects, and once she goes below 1 hp her script will trigger and she leaves.

The heal works against vampires turned into bats, though they leave fast. Trolls that are downed but they get up at some point. Statues in several dungeons, which is really nice of you have multiple warriors.
    Grond0lolien
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    lroumen said:

New trick

The Sword of Chaos and similar weapons will heal the wielder when battling inanimate unkillable neutral objects.
    For instance, if you have Minsc wield it and hit the jailer golems in the starting dungeon you get him back to full health while the golem stays neutral.

Slow but steady.

Neat trick, although I usually just pass Ribald's Ring of Regeneration around for free healing.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    True, but this is the right thread for these things :p
    lolien
    Regarding the Slayer Change trick, you mention the need to use an area transition auto-save. Is that really necessary, when you have quick save to rely on instead? Especially with the Wand of Lightning trick, it seems like you'd have plenty of time to drink however many Potions of Power were necessary in the given 7 rounds.
    @Abi_Dalzim: Depending on the EE update (namely, the more recent ones), being in Slayer form disables saving, including quick saves. The saves are definitely necessary; there's no way you could drink enough Potions of Power to survive the 1500 non-resistable, difficulty-independent magic damage at the end. With the Wand of Lightning trick, you could only drink maybe 42 Potions of Power before running out of time. Maybe if you had extremely high base HP, you could manage it, but otherwise no.

@Abi_Dalzim: Depending on the EE update (namely, the more recent ones), being in Slayer form disables saving, including quick saves. The saves are definitely necessary; there's no way you could drink enough Potions of Power to survive the 1500 non-resistable, difficulty-independent magic damage at the end. With the Wand of Lightning trick, you could only drink maybe 42 Potions of Power before running out of time. Maybe if you had extremely high base HP, you could manage it, but otherwise no.

Ah, I kind of assumed you could still save while Slayer, but checking, apparently not. Doesn't matter for me, since I don't really like going Slayer anyways. I only really use it these days when I have no other counter for Kangaxx's imprisonment.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

The spells in question are minor spell deflection (level 3), minor spell turning (5), spell deflection (6) and spell turning (7). These spells deflect or reflect up to 4 spell levels (minor) or 10/12 spell levels (Spell Deflection/Turning).

Many enemy mages use these (e.g. yuan-ti mages). So if you find yourself up against them, you can either try to debuff the opponent, use AoE spells, or just ignore spells and use weapons instead.

If you happen to find yourself needing to debuff the opponent but you don’t have the right spell to hand, one option is to consume the defence by casting spells at them. But rather than have your Flame Arrow reflected back at you, you can either waste “useless” spells from scrolls/items to get rid of deflection or cast some helpful spells that you want to buff yourself with at mages protected by turning.

of you have a fm you can equip him with the shield of reflection and let him cast flame arrow against the enemy protected by spell turning, the magic arrow is reflected by the shield so you consume his spell turning and in the end the bad guy is the one that takes the damage.

just tested, but never used in real battle.
    use the wand of lighting trick swapping with an other wand, like the cloudkill one, then pass the 2 wands to an other mage (or bard or thief with uai) and repeat, then to an other, it depends on how much people you have able to use wands.
    with 3 mages i was able to stack 6 * 3 = 18 cloudkill in about 1 second. or can be fireballs or whatever...
    Skatan
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    Since reloading in EE is almost instantenous, it's much faster to reload the game on a failed Hide in Shadows rather than waiting full round for the icon to reset.

(It seems that loading resets ALL round timers in general which is probably very abuseable if I only knew how)

It also resets character movement, stopping wandering NPCs.
    semiticgoddessThacoBellsarevok57
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Alas, the casting spells in armor with hotkeys trick doesn't work anymore, it will surely change how I'm going to approach my next playthrough.

I also found out a similar trick to the Nahal's Reckless Dweomer hotkey trick a very long time ago (maybe in 1.3 or even earlier) but I never reported it because I didn't wanted the exploit to be fixed.
    You could achieve the same result in BG:EE only, by putting two Nahal's Reckless Dweomer in a Minor Sequencer spell (now you cannot select Nahal's Reckless Dweomer in your sequencers / contingencies), when you fired the sequencer you had unlimited spell casting with infinite aura cleansing. I didn't know about the hotkey trick though, it was even better!

Good times ...
    Skatangorgonzolalolien
    @Gotural: A variant of the latter trick is still possible with certain mods. The Spellbender kit can benefit from the Minor Sequencer trick. And I think the Wand of Lightning trick can have the same effect, even with Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.
    Goturalgorgonzola

And I think the Wand of Lightning trick can have the same effect, even with Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.

i don't know how to merge the WoL trick with spells cast from spellbook. afaik you have to activate the wand while in pause and then put an other item in the slot, but there are not Dwehomer's scrolls.
    activating the wand and then casting the dwehomer while in pause make the second command override the first so you get only 1 dwehomer and the wand looses no charge.

Gotural said:

but I never reported it because I didn't wanted the exploit to be fixed.

i really dislike the way developers are so careful to nerf possible exploits even when them are so intentional and can not affect players that don't want to use them. it spoils the fun of those who like to do it for no reason, and there are plenty of lame tactics to beat the game even without nerfing exploits.
    it does not go as far as improved anvil mod, that the creator made in a way that allows to win only in the way that in his opinion the game HAS to be played. and he was so quick to upgrade the mod as soon as he knew that someone found an alternative (exploiting or not exploiting) way.
    it goes not so far, but it makes me play the original game way more than the EE, lately i play EE only for some very relaxed vanilla runs or to try some interesting mod that is new so not original compatible.
    and i refuse to upgrade EE from the version i bought it cause i DON'T WANT new nerfs introduced.
    this is also why i don't report here, as @Gotural, my best tricks...

AndreaColombololien
    @gorgonzola: The WoL trick works with on-self spells and innate abilities; not just quick slot items. The spell just has to be on-self by default. Thus, it works with Sunfire but not Fireball. Scrolls are only necessary for spells that can also be cast on other targets, such as Flame Arrow, Protection from Fire, and Chaos.
    gorgonzola
    @semiticgod
    i am able to use the trick with sunfire, you are correct about it, but in my testing and with my game version, as i told i don't update it, not with dwehomers. does not matter if i unpause right after casting the dwehomer, without chosing which spell to use or after chosing, the dwehomer always overrides the wand and i get a single one. so i would say that @Gotural's trick can not be used with the wand instead of a sequencer.
    until someone test better than me and find a way to make it work...
    I'm guessing the trick no longer works for NRD anymore, then.
    an other nerfed exploit then :(
    AndreaColombo
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Myrag said:

#1 Namarra +2

has three uses per day of Silence, 15' Radius except that this verion is party friendly. This is hude against a lot of dangerous enemies in BG2. Toss in greater malison and enemies will have to make save with -9 penalty. It can also be used by any class who can wield a long sword.

Both #1 and #2 are very effective even on LOB. I tend to get a lot of success with both even with mod which reduces enemy saves by additional 5 points.
    Does casting Silence on self not only make the Save penalty moot but also overcomes MR? But a party-friendly Silence is great.

Awesome thread which speaks volumes about how much love there is for the BG series.

gorgonzola
    squiros wrote: »
    as a party member buff, it's kind of silly. the party member would essentially gain 100% immunity forever, which is a bit cheesy.
    very cheasy, and not the kind of cheese i like to taste, even if i LOVE cheese (see my nickname :)).
    that and using over and over the pfm scroll trough having it equipped in simulacrum/PI quick slot would mean to have the "perfect tank" at will, protected from both physical and magic damage almost constantly.

the rest of the combo seems to me quite tasty, even if without using the scroll trough a clone also quite costly as those scrolls are very rare and valuable.
    an alternative can be to cast improved invisibility to the ORS protected summon, so it can not be targeted by spells. it will still be vulnerable to the AOE ones and destroyed by death spell and this imo makes your combo even better as it preserves the taste of the cheese but does require some care and proper tactics.
    i believe that powerful not standard tactics can bring a lot of fun in the gameplay, but only if some challenge is preserved.

a variation of your combo is to protect that way a wizard's eye, making it basically invulnerable gives a new dimension to what a PI can do if sent alone against the enemy. cause using farsight the clone can see only in a limited area and using a regular wizard's eye is basically blinded as the eye is killed. with a protected wizard's eye the PI is able to explore, to cover a large area and allows tactics that other way are impossible in situations where the enemies are not all packed in a limited area.

lolien