Skip to content

The Don't Ask Me Anything Thread

Comments

• AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    wubble said:

About what?

I'm not allowed to talk about that right now either. Sorry.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Fair enough. :)

Rules 1+2 apply then.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

deltago said:

Can you at least do a mime impression of it?

Yeah, all right. Check it out:

Ah, bugger. Wrong medium. It was an amazing performance, though. Take my word for it.
    That's ok. You can redo the performance during the next twitch feed. I'll tag @Amber_Scott to remind you to do it too.

Who wouldn't want to tune in to watch that?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    deltago said:

deltago said:

Can you at least do a mime impression of it?

Yeah, all right. Check it out:

Ah, bugger. Wrong medium. It was an amazing performance, though. Take my word for it.
    That's ok. You can redo the performance during the next twitch feed. I'll tag @Amber_Scott to remind you to do it too.

Who wouldn't want to tune in to watch that?
    If you don't, she'll trap you in a box!
    deltago said:

I'd get on that quick. The next twitch feed is in less than eleven hours...
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    I am so confused. I think I need more (some) coffee.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited July 2015

First, BGEE and Pathfinder writer Dave Gross had a little chat with me while I had a lengthy chat back, talking about various writing-related topics. The result can be found at his site, here: http://frabjousdave.com/creative-colleagues-andrew-foley/

"As a writer of prose fiction, screenplays, comics, and video games, what’s one thing that each of those media does better than the other? And can you think of a time you took a lesson from one medium and applied it to another?"

Hey hey hey, my question was answered after all! And the first one Dave Gross asked. What an interviewer

Very interesting answer too btw, and thanks for the link
    An answer I really enjoyed:
    "For instance, when I write screenplays or comic scripts, characters’ dialogue is constantly getting cut off by other characters. That works fine in those media. When I started in video games, I wrote dialogue much the same way. But having someone read half a sentence, then read and choose from three options for what their character says that interrupts that sentence before it’s finished requires some mental gymnastics and more good will than I’m comfortable asking a player for."

I always thought cutting people off mid sentence was weird in games, especially when lines are both voice acted and written. I remember a time in Icewind Dale II this happened, in one of the early stages.

Though this can sometimes be poorly done in other formats too, and I remember hating how in Iron Man 2 Robert Downey JR and Gwenyth Paltrow had to talk over each other throughout the entire movie. Its one of those things I assume that writers do in order to mimic real conversations, but can be so overdone that it just appeared unrealistic.
    Can you do voice commentary for my game plays?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

I think my years watching wrestling probably affected the style of the commentary more than the place I was initially trying to draw inspiration from, a very entertaining podcast by Superego's Matt Gourley and Mark McConville. In it, they provide commentary for The Pistol Shrimps, a women's community basketball team, while making it clear that 1) they're very rarely seated in a position where they can properly see the game, and 2) they don't know much about basketball. So it's just these two very gifted improvisers and occasional guests (Colin Hanks has been on a couple times, so has Paul F. Tompkins), riffing with each other while trying to make some kind of sense out of the game in sportscaster voices.

Here's a link to what I think is their first podcast, if you're interested:

Well, I actually never liked radio programs nor anything (actually I started hearing this one out of curiosity), but man, that's good!
    This one's for the shorties: the Dragon+ with the story I wrote featuring SIEGE OF DRAGONSPEAR NPC Glint Gardnersonson has gone live. Apparently apps don't have webpages, but this should get you somewhere within a click or two of accessing it, knock on wood: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dragonplus
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,733
    Thank you for your story, Andrew. It would be interesting to meet Nozzik or the Regal Rose (if they're there) in SoD.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited December 2015
    @AndrewFoley ,thanks for the story.
    I know that sometimes author includes himself in the story. Are you behind the name Amulet Fellow ?
    My argument for this are initials and word play.

Post edited by brus on
    So @AndrewFoley forumites would like to know more about your new co-worker @David_Gaider and seeing how you can be our inside man to get the information, can you ask him:

Back to David Gaider, why did he leave BioWare? Did he just not want to work there anymore?

Could it be the project Beamdog is working on or something juicier like an internal rift that is just spawning demons that he couldn't handle anymore?

Or was it more of a going back to ones roots and remembering what made creating video games so special and endearing?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,733
    I personally think @David_Gaider should create his own "Don't ask me anything" thread :wink: So that he could answer several questions from us. A few. Maybe more. Much more indeed. A lot of question, actually. A myriad of them.
    Understandable.

So where are you going for lunch then?
    Simple(?) question: Marvel or DC?
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915

deltago said:

So where are you going for lunch then?

Monday to Thursday is salad at the desk for me, but that doesn't mean there aren't discussions.
    As a U.S. citizen whose knowledge of Canada comes mostly from SCTV and old Rush records, I have a hard time believing there is salad in Canada. Is it made of beer and bacon??? ;)

procco said:

As a U.S. citizen whose knowledge of Canada comes mostly from SCTV and old Rush records, I have a hard time believing there is salad in Canada. Is it made of beer and bacon??? ;)

I *wish*.

https://www.samueladams.com/recipes/beer-bacon-potato-salad

any citrus beer wold be suitable replacement for the Sam Adams though, or add a bit of lemon juice for zest if citrus beer is unavailable.

So go ahead and have this salad for lunch, it won't be cheating and your wish comes true.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,076
    One of Gromnir's minions is a thief named Eler Had. That raises the nagging question: what exactly did Eler have?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited February 2016
    You find yourself trapped on a tropical island. A genie appears before you and offers you any 3 of the following items (but no more than 3) Which do you choose?

A raincoat
    An axe
    A lighter
    A volleyball
    Duct tape
    A machete
    A two way radio (batteries included)
    A copy of the Edmonton Sun from Dec 21, 1998
    A pillow
    A sleeping bag
    A tent
    A raft