Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    wojtek said:

what devs are doing is indeed cruel, when they were making announcement i thought that game will be in maximum 2 months, i was naive, but they were making this feeling that the game release is so close, and they were talking that after they will give more details, i was lied to !! :)

The devs never said anything to indicate release was close - indeed everything they said (e.g. we are still adjusting gameplay to make it better) suggested it wasn't.

As people tend to do, you believed what you wanted to believe.
    Son_of_Imoen
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    rorikon said:

The only UI improvement I want is an option to switch between ranged and dual-wield/sword+shield without going into the inventory every time. This was mentioned as being a likely addition during the announcement Q&As but it hasn't really been mentioned since (though to be fair, that's largely because very little has been mentioned since then AT ALL).

I'm rather neutral on all the other changes (especially if they can be switched on/off at will), but if they've spent all that time adding these things that I've never really heard anyone ask for and then leave out the one remaining UI annoyance that's been bugging me for 15 years now I'm personally going to be very disappointed!

I just want to create an archer that will actually USE those two dual-wielding pips! Is that really too much to ask?

Beating engine limitations sometimes can be a long battle, lasting for more than 15 years. Nobody knows if it can be won but they're trying, and this is what we can count on from them.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    I would love a spell UI similar to one in NWN2 or PoE. Or anything better than what IE has.
    VallmyrbrusFlashburn
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    edited October 2015
    Did anybody else notice the Drider in the trailer? The Drider art was created for Icewind Dale 2. Interesting...

EDIT: I think the cyclops was also in IWD2, although Cyclopses may have also appeared in IWD:EE.

Oh and Jaheira confirmed. In the trailer at 26 seconds in, when fighting the dragon, the following text appears:
    Jaheira: 2 levels drained.
    JuliusBorisovlolienAbel
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    bob_veng said:

dunno where people got the feeling that you describe because i didn't

edit: since we talked about UI, there's a UI improvement i'd really like - the bestiary :smile:

I'd like to see something along the lines of the Civlopedia in the Civilization games, just an interface that lets us go in and read the description text of various things. There's been a couple of times in my current IWD where I've wanted to look at the description for paladin, but my undead hunter only has the kit specific information.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited October 2015
    @Ancalagon44 Thumbs up for noticing them. Yeah, the drow driders (0:33):

About Jaheira: The fact she's in SoD is not new. There was a talk about not original voice over actress for her, based on her voice from the SoD gameplay footage.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    lolienVasculioFina92Abel
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    Oh okay, didn't know that about Jaheira and her voice actress. Personally I can't stand Jaheira though!

Also note that the Dragon they are fighting against when Jaheira gets level drained. That looks like the dragon which you fight against in Icewind Dale 2 at the mouth of the River Caves.

Don't mind me, I'm just looking for any and all evidence that Beamdog is working on IWD2. A man can dream...
    JuliusBorisovDragonspearJustLeftlolien
    Cyclops is from IWD1.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Waiting is fine as long as they deliver something truely spectacular, and that seems very plausible so far.
    wojtekFlashburnGallowglass
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    bengoshi said:
    So, it's now time to forget about a 2015 release. If they're still adding features now, then there's no way they'll get through the remaining internal testing and then the closed wide-beta and then the public launch, in only a couple of months. We might still see pre-ordering start by year-end, but no way will we get to final release, there's not enough time left.

We're probably now looking at February or March as earliest feasible release.
    AbelYupImMadBro_Luke_
  • rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    It'd be nice that if they can't get SoD out in time for Chrimbo, then they at least release the BG1 patch so we can try out some of the new engine enhancements. Or get a Shaman CHARNAME ready :)
    Arcalian
    Thanks for your thoughts, @Gallowglass!

I doubt very much that Imoen, your sister and an integral part of the "canon" party, is a guide or a quest-giver rather than a party member in SoD. I actually can't believe in it.
    FaydarkDragonspearAbel
    bengoshi said:

I doubt very much that Imoen, your sister and an integral part of the "canon" party, is a guide or a quest-giver rather than a party member in SoD. I actually can't believe in it.

Well, sure, we all know that she's integral to the main plot in BG2, but at this point we don't know that she's our sister, and she's not even necessarily with us (any more than the rest of the canon party are necessarily with us). We only know her special significance by meta-game hindsight.

My speculation about Imoen is based on the announcement video etc., in which we can see that Imoen is involved in SoD because she's telling the party about one of the areas, yet she's a blue-circled by-stander rather than a party member. At no point is she shown as a party member, even in snippets showing what we might guess to be the canonical Good group (i.e. the long-established "canon party"), her natural place being instead occupied by Safana.

Obviously I can only guess, but this has caused me to suspect that, in devising explanations for the starting situation of BG2, the writers have come up with a scenario in which Imoen is following some separate agenda of her own during a large part (or maybe even all) of SoD ... for example, maybe she's apprenticed to a senior Mage for a while to help with her re-training in her new class. I reckon she becomes joinable only near to the end of SoD, or perhaps even joins only by being thrown together with us in the final scene (i.e. when Irenicus bags us, to set up the starting scene of BG2). As a further speculation, perhaps the manner in which Imoen comes back to the party might have been written in such a way that it provides more motive (i.e. more than just the money) for Safana's actions in her BG2 cameo - perhaps we're given no choice but to replace Safana with Imoen in late-SoD, and Safana might well resent this.

Here's a wilder speculation about Imoen, also extrapolated from Chris Avellone's interview, in which he comments that our main antagonist (i.e. the Shining Lady) isn't really a villain like Sarevok or Irenicus, but is instead actually quite heroic, although with an agenda which conflicts with our own. Perhaps Imoen is away from our party during much of SoD because she allies with the Shining Lady instead! She doesn't attack us because we're old friends, and perhaps she helps us in a situation where we're both threatened by third-party enemies (e.g. a drow intervention), but she doesn't return to our side until there is eventually some sort of reconciliation between the city and the Shining Lady near to the end of SoD. If the conflict with the Shining Lady turns out to have all been a big misunderstanding, then our leading role in that mistake might tidily explain why we were leaving the area under "dark circumstances" (as the intro movie of BG2 says) at the point when Irenicus pops up and bags us. Imoen being on the other side, and it gradually becoming evident that the whole conflict is a mistake, would make for a story with lively moral and personal complications, giving it the potential for some decent depth.

Heck, I rather like that plot-line ... but yes, I realise that it'll very likely turn out that the writers have come up with some totally different way of handling it all.
    Abel
  • JustLeftJustLeft Member Posts: 76
    I hope Baeloth makes it to BG:SOD and possibly BG2.
    Arcalian
    @JustLeft - it's already confirmed that Baeloth is in BG:SoD. Extending him into BG2ee is unlikely, however, because of BP2.
    cmk24JustLeft
    bengoshi said:

Thanks for your thoughts, @Gallowglass!

A character can be an important part of the story without being an actual party member.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Question: if a player kills certain canon party members, will there be a dialogue option that addresses this when they inevitably meet again?
    Nimran said:

Question: if a player kills certain canon party members, will there be a dialogue option that addresses this when they inevitably meet again?

I doubt it. There was never any such dialogue at the start of BG2, so there probably won't be any in BG:SoD. I guess the idea is that we're inevitably forced to swallow "canonical assumptions", and therefore may as well swallow them whole rather than piecemeal.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    It would be cool if some of the people that tried the game at that last place left their impression somewhere. I want to hear about the game from normal players.
    JuliusBorisovwojtekelminster
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminster

Who's normal?

EDIT - Oh I get it: the people who visited the booth. n.n'

People that are not part of development or given extensive access like MCA was.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508

Nimran said:

I doubt it. There was never any such dialogue at the start of BG2, so there probably won't be any in BG:SoD. I guess the idea is that we're inevitably forced to swallow "canonical assumptions", and therefore may as well swallow them whole rather than piecemeal.
    But drizzt and zxar did have "aren't you supposed to be dead" options.
    Nimran
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Nimran said:

Not true. Both Xzar and Edwin have a "I thought you were dead" option. I can see them adding similar ones to the other canon party members for SOD, with a "well I was raised duh" response. It works for everyone but Imoen, who should remain dead because story plot holes.
    Nimran
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    lroumen said:

Nimran said:

But drizzt and zxar did have "aren't you supposed to be dead" options.
    Must get killed off in BG:SOD!
    Oops, yes, thanks for the reminders, @lroumen and @deltago. The question was specifically about party members, so Drizzt isn't relevant, but obviously Xzar and Edwin are relevant. I had forgotten those dialogues, sorry. Still, I don't think most other NPCs have any such dialogues, so I wasn't completely wrong.
    Nimran
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I want to play BG on a screen THAT big!
    DragonspearAbelbooinyoureyes