Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Beamdog are anti 'u'!

What does "anti 'u'" mean, @typo_tilly? (Where I come from, it'd mean "opposed to refined taste", but that doesn't seem contextually relevant to your usage here.)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    People who spell colour and armour the American way?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,537
    I dislike armor and colorspray for that exact reason. Bad spelling....

Strange that natives are not taught to be fluent in both languages.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    lroumen said:

Strange that natives are not taught to be fluent in both languages.

Not necessarily.

When language groups within a country live (mostly) in separate areas, the bulk of the population has little day-to-day use for full fluency in the language which isn't spoken in their area. When a basic grasp of the other language is sufficient for most people's daily life, expenditure on more thorough language teaching has to compete with other spending plans.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    So regional language rather than native language I guess. That makes some sense.
    Neither French nor English is native to Canada.

Most people in England study a second language up to 16, but very few can communicate efficiently in a language other than English.

There is more bilingualism in parts of Wales and Scotland, where Welsh/Gaelic are spoken locally, but English is needed for communication with outsiders.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    @Fardragon: What second language do they choose in England? Here (The Netherlands) we get mandatory English and some years in French and German.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,745
    All this discussion involving languages, although it may seem off-topic, actually shows the importance of this question for future players of SoD.

@Fardragon: What second language do they choose in England? Here (The Netherlands) we get mandatory English and some years in French and German.

It varies. French or German used to be most popular, but Spanish is becoming more popular because it is considered "easier" and schools are graded on their exam results. Yes, education in England is seriously messed up at the moment.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I'm literally "old" school English so my default second language is French - probably because in those days there were no cheap flights to the Costa del Cheap Booze so 'foreign' holidays were pretty much limited to ferries across the ditch to France (unless you count Wales, Scotland and Yorkshire as foreign).
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    deltago said:

Sounds more like Quebecois!
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2015
    Ya, that is only legal stuff that has to be released in both French and English. I am surprised however that they have not been able to get people to volunteer to translate it to at least Quebec French yet.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I didn't expect my comment to generate such a continued and insightful response. Y'all are boss
    I'm sure ethics work differently
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    GemHound said:

Ya, that is only legal stuff that has to be released in both French and English. I am surprised however that they have not been able to get people to volunteer to translate it to at least Quebec French yet.

All translations are done by volunteers and there are more people who speak French than Quebecois (heavily slanged with regional dialect french). And it is not like Edmonton is righr next door to the Quebec border. There is about 3400 km distance between the two, or roughly the same distance between Toulouse, France and Moscow.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    This one time... In Brugge... Only using English. I got a pint of duck, served in a funny glass, that was inserted into a wooden portable shelf thing to hold it.

You then lifted the entire wooden portable shelf, that held the funny glass to get at the liquid.

It was exactly what I asked for... Proof that shouting in English works.
    Kwak beer. Not sure what you shouted then....

(Btw, Bruges)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    brus said:

I would like faster leveling speed because I got used to recent RPG games which have much faster leveling speed so I asked.

I still can't get used to the speed at which levels come in recent RPG's.

(sorry for replying to an old post, I'm a month behind with reading this topic).

• brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited November 2015
    @Son_of_Imoen ,just to eleborate.
    Well, it gives the feeling of faster character progression along the story. In games which though quests give you experience, reward is a level up. It has to be consistent one, so that the game is still challenging but rewarding.
    The most important is that the player feels the change in gameplay as they progress through the story and after the level up.
    The logic behind this is:
    equating the visual changes in gameplay as you level up on the one side and changes in plot/story twists/lore on the other side.
    In my opinion, balancing this equation gives better character development and player feels he's more involved in the game.

Maybe faster character progression is not the correct term for this. It's faster change of character advancement and progress.
    In physical terms, one is velocity and the other is acceleration of actor's development :smile:
    Post edited by brus on
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2015
    deltago said:

GemHound said:

All translations are done by volunteers and there are more people who speak French than Quebecois (heavily slanged with regional dialect french). And it is not like Edmonton is righr next door to the Quebec border. There is about 3400 km distance between the two, or roughly the same distance between Toulouse, France and Moscow.
    Oh I know, I'm between the two in Saskatchewan. All you have to do is go to a job site, and you'll find people from Quebec that have fled Quebec for Saskatchewan.