Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/707363/#Comment_707363

Not only the whole thing is awesome, but also... "... for some other secret reasons, the next issue is coming out in late March." This is another indicator to me about the release date.
  • gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
    Kilivitz said:

There hasn't been official word yet, but folks here assume the cap will be 400,000 because:

A) it's been confirmed thieves and bards will be able to reach level 12 and

B) it seems to be a sweet spot where the expansion can yield a satisfactory amount of experience without making the first chapters of BG2 feel too different (in terms of scaled up encounters and such).

400000 xp would not allow u to hit 12 for Thieves. 600K xp will still allow thieve to stayed at Lv12.

So you cant say for sure its not 600K.

Next having 150-200K more on BG2EE doesnt really have that much an impact except first 2-3 chapters. You can always head down to WK in SoA to make sure u have HLA before facing Irenicus. WK alone the XP is already way beyond 150-200K per character.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    bengoshi said:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/707363/#Comment_707363

Not only the whole thing is awesome, but also... "... for some other secret reasons, the next issue is coming out in late March." This is another indicator to me about the release date.

Or the pre-announcement of the announcement of when the release date will be announced. :wink:
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

Kilivitz said:

There hasn't been official word yet, but folks here assume the cap will be 400,000 because:

B) it seems to be a sweet spot where the expansion can yield a satisfactory amount of experience without making the first chapters of BG2 feel too different (in terms of scaled up encounters and such).

400000 xp would not allow u to hit 12 for Thieves. 600K xp will still allow thieve to stayed at Lv12.

Next having 150-200K more on BG2EE doesnt really have that much an impact except first 2-3 chapters. You can always head down to WK in SoA to make sure u have HLA before facing Irenicus. WK alone the XP is already way beyond 150-200K per character.
    Excuse me - 440k. I was off by 40k.

And yes, the extra 280k XP (as opposed to SoA's inicial 161k for characters exported from TotSC) doesn't make the initial chapters all that much easier. But give a couple more levels (specially to wizards and warriors) and things might become too unbalanced.

So no, I can't say for sure it's not 600k because there's no official word and I'm no insider, but I'm willing to bet money that it's not.
    Kilivitz said:

Kilivitz said:

Excuse me - 440k. I was off by 40k.

And yes, the extra 280k XP (as opposed to SoA's inicial 161k for characters exported from TotSC) doesn't make the initial chapters all that much easier. But give a couple more levels (specially to wizards and warriors) and things might become too unbalanced.

So no, I can't say for sure it's not 600k because there's no official word and I'm no insider, but I'm willing to bet money that it's not.
    The different between 440K to 600K will just allow character to lvl once, it doesnt really make a difference

And when u mentioned Wizard, Wizard hit lvl 11 at 375K and still remain at 11 at 600K, just FYI.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Bigfish said:

Is an XP cap really necessary? It's going to be one of the first things modded out, and its original purpose (keeping characters from getting in to levels where spells and abilities hadn't been coded yet) is entirely outdated. Even without a hard xp cap, you'd have a soft one in that there are only so many creatures to kill and quests to complete.

One word:

Werebears
    deltago said:

Bigfish said:

Is an XP cap really necessary? It's going to be one of the first things modded out, and its original purpose (keeping characters from getting in to levels where spells and abilities hadn't been coded yet) is entirely outdated. Even without a hard xp cap, you'd have a soft one in that there are only so many creatures to kill and quests to complete.

One word:

Werebears
    Werebears have xp value of 1200-1800 from different edition of AD&D. Not sure if they will even make a huge difference.

Werewolves island itself can get attack by 6 wolfwere when you slp, and even if u try to exploit that its not making a big difference

edited February 2016
    Anyway the only gripe i have for sod is the font. It looks really terrible to me. Hope they include the option to change it.

Also i hope they include the option on "Max hp on lvl up" just like iwdee
    Post edited by gattberserk on
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    Are you going to translate this game like BioWare used to?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    In the Familiar Magazine, among other things, they show 6 pictures of how an old area from BG1 was redone for SoD.

I really encourage people to check them.

"The ground in the original game was literally a photograph of coffee beans and no amount of over-painting could make that look good as a texture"

"New roads were sculpted and rendered from the correct perspective and lighting, and these were then stitched onto the existing art"
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307

Anyway the only gripe i have for sod is the font. It looks really terrible to me. Hope they include the option to change it.

I agree I really dislike the new font - it just doesn't look like Baldur's Gate to me at all with that ugly sans-serif font that mismatches things. I hope they reconsider it.

Artwork for the areas is also lovely and gameplay looks good.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    edited February 2016

The different between 440K to 600K will just allow character to lvl once, it doesnt really make a difference

But when Imoen, Yoshi, Minsc and Jaheira and the other potential followers all have 1 or more levels, then it does make a difference.

@Mikey205 I think the font was a place holder, the changed it so that you may use any standard font.
    Maybe just as easy as to throw it in the override folder? Otherwise via mod.
    Brilliant, yes!
  • shadow85shadow85 Member Posts: 128
    Dammit just when I was done and dusted of BG1 (completed it 100s of times) and because it was pretty easy, this SOD comes out!
    So, this friday will be another live stream with the developers. What questions do we have to them, taking into account all the information that has become available since the last stream?

My question (unanswered during the last stream): You mentioned quests for Corwin, Glint and M'Khiin. Will there be quests for Rasaad, Dorn and Neera in SoD? What about Baeloth?

Another question: With the next patch for BG2EE, will there be changes in how the transfer of companions is made, i.e.: will you choices on NPCs' proficiencies made in BGEE and SoD, be remembered in BG2EE? For example, I gave Dorn in BGEE two pips in axes. Will patched BG2EE remember it?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The nicest thing would be the NPCs carrying on the stats adjustments due to Tomes you gave.

And I'm really worried about the core rules of SoD. It will be AD&D ou the bad things that came after? This new class gave me goosebumps - is a terrible sign of "thirdeditification".

To remember, here follows the classes officially made by TSR to AD&D: Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Cleric, Druid, Wizard (including Wild Mages and Elemental Mages), Bard, Thief, Psionic.

No Sorcerer, no Barbarian (it was a kit for fighters), no Shaman-whatever.

There was, too, a special class of a sort of Wizard based on time traveling, but I think it is impossible to implement without twisting all the game around it.

Please, don't destroy my dreams of playing AD&D on a new PC-game.
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Since my recent biggest love happened to be IWD:EE, I would like to ask/know, if it's going to be updated similar, after SoD's come out? (not really "BG related", but I can't remember if it was clearly announced yet..)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    A bit of idle curiosity: given his prior status as an easter egg, can Baeloth be recruited in SoD, or is he only present if you had him in your party at the end of BG:EE?
    Raduziel said:

The nicest thing would be the NPCs carrying on the stats adjustments due to Tomes you gave.

And I'm really worried about the core rules of SoD. It will be AD&D ou the bad things that came after? This new class gave me goosebumps - is a terrible sign of "thirdeditification".

To remember, here follows the classes officially made by TSR to AD&D: Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Cleric, Druid, Wizard (including Wild Mages and Elemental Mages), Bard, Thief, Psionic.

No Sorcerer, no Barbarian (it was a kit for fighters), no Shaman-whatever.

There was, too, a special class of a sort of Wizard based on time traveling, but I think it is impossible to implement without twisting all the game around it.

Please, don't destroy my dreams of playing AD&D on a new PC-game.

They are using BG2 ruleset to ensure theres a cohesive experience.That means sorcs and barbarians but no real 3ed stuff like feats or hp that continues scaling past level 10ish. There is the shaman class not sure if thats 2ed 3ed or plain made up.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Technically the Barbarian is still a Fighter kit, just listed separately.