Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• TorinTorin Member Posts: 229

I want a D&D Tactics game with 4th edition rules, but wanting doesn't make it so. To be clear, I don't prefer 4th edition for actual roleplaying, but I do like the strategic combat.

Except there is no way in hell Wizards are going to allow a 4th edition D&D cRPG.

While I am sure they would like to earn some money on a cRPG made on their latest edition.
  • Boomer_007Boomer_007 Member Posts: 5
    "We’ve mentioned before that Adventure Y will be an addition to the Baldur’s Gate line using the Infinity engine, bridging the gap between Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition"

"We got a lot of questions about Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition and a potential Baldur’s Gate III on our reddit AMA. We’d be lying if we said we never think about doing a Baldur’s Gate III game, so we won’t say that. But we will say there’s nothing in the works yet regarding BGIII or a 5th edition game. That doesn’t mean the opportunity will never arise"

OMG. why would you want to destroy the complete story? Why you rape it?
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    OK, not sure if I missed this in the 30-odd preceding pages, but if Adventure Y occurs between BGEE and BG2EE, does that mean we will be entering Chez Irenicus with even more xp, possibly throwing out the BG2 game balance even more? Or is this likely to be an adventure with the supporting cast, helping to fill in the gap in the story, but having little material impact on how we arrive in Athkatla?

"We’ve mentioned before that Adventure Y will be an addition to the Baldur’s Gate line using the Infinity engine, bridging the gap between Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition"

"We got a lot of questions about Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition and a potential Baldur’s Gate III on our reddit AMA. We’d be lying if we said we never think about doing a Baldur’s Gate III game, so we won’t say that. But we will say there’s nothing in the works yet regarding BGIII or a 5th edition game. That doesn’t mean the opportunity will never arise"

OMG. why would you want to destroy the complete story? Why you rape it?

What are you talking about? You can do BG3 even without Bhaalspawn. It can be an adventure in the area of BG games following the aftermath of BG1 and BG2. You could even get a kind of story where you are part of organization trying to clean up the mess.

OK, not sure if I missed this in the 30-odd preceding pages, but if Adventure Y occurs between BGEE and BG2EE, does that mean we will be entering Chez Irenicus with even more xp, possibly throwing out the BG2 game balance even more? Or is this likely to be an adventure with the supporting cast, helping to fill in the gap in the story, but having little material impact on how we arrive in Athkatla?

I don't see a problem if PC is one more level stronger than just bringing him after finishing BG1EE. All NPCs are of lower level anyways.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355

Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere over the past 30 pages, but if Adv Y is bridging the gap between the two BGs, does that mean that we'll be able to import our entire party from the end of BG1, or will we be forced to use the "canon" party that starts off BG2?

Yeah that's a good question ...
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    Cluas said:

Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere over the past 30 pages, but if Adv Y is bridging the gap between the two BGs, does that mean that we'll be able to import our entire party from the end of BG1, or will we be forced to use the "canon" party that starts off BG2?

Yeah that's a good question ...
    Do we even know if it'll involve the main characters, or those that are returning in BG2? If not, there won't be any importing to speak of...
  • DargnonDargnon Member Posts: 31
    It would be nice if you could import your char from BG1 to Y and then at least partially import SOMETHING (maybe even a progress in some new quest or with one of the NPCs) from Y into BG2. That way, it would be excellent motivation to go through the saga again.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Thank the gods for druidic hair removal magics
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    I thought it had been announced to be a whole new game, which makes the idea of it being just a gap-bridging adventure seem wrong (or did I read that wrong? I only briefly a post on Tumblr about it). And to be honest and thinking about it some more, I think that would far too easy to screw up anyway. Better to just let fans come up with their own headcanons to explain away the inconsistencies between 1 & 2, and how they ended with that particular group of people rather than try to force a canon on everyone after all this time.

I still wouldn't mind a little extra content for 1, or between SoA and ToB (particularly the later). But I'm thinking either just a new adventure set around Baldur's Gate, maybe featuring some of the NPC's who got left behind in 2, or possibly set in the future. Or maybe episodes delving into the past of various NPC's. Or... I don't know. I'll just wait.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @Coutelier I agree, I'd also prefer a proper expansion to BG1 with additional non-companion-specific content on the Sword Coast, but it's already established Adventure Y is going to link the events of BG1 and BG2. I think it's going to be standalone, not an expansion.

The separate game you mentioned is a different project altogether, sometimes referred to as Adventure Z.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Adul said:

@Coutelier I agree, I'd also prefer a proper expansion to BG1 with additional non-companion-specific content on the Sword Coast, but it's already established Adventure Y is going to link the events of BG1 and BG2. I think it's going to be standalone, not an expansion.

The separate game you mentioned is a different project altogether, sometimes referred to as Adventure Z.

I though it was project sharktrap now...
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Or that.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Adul said:

Ah.

I don't like to prejudge things, but I do think some things are just better left alone. It... might be okay. It could also easily turn out to be an even worse idea than when the Royal Navy attempted to build a steam powered submarine. I'd have preferred another straightforward expansion. Or maybe something where you play as one of the villains, like Irenicus, charting his fall and rise.

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited January 2015
    Okay, well, one question still hasn't been answered since before IDEE: will there ever be man-eating snow cabbages?!