Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited January 2015
    So we about T minus 130 daysish until the official announcement of Adventure Y release date?
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    elminster said:

Why a snow cabbage anyways? Is man-eating Iceberg lettuce not itself sufficiently terrifying? Also why no man eating snow peas?

Iceberg lettuce?! Those are 90% water! They only eat people at 10% of the speed! Also, snow peas can't do much out of the pod. No, those snow cabbages are without a doubt the most dangerous carnivorous plants in the realms.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited January 2015
    Nimran said:

elminster said:

Why a snow cabbage anyways? Is man-eating Iceberg lettuce not itself sufficiently terrifying? Also why no man eating snow peas?

Iceberg lettuce?! Those are 90% water! They only eat people at 10% of the speed! Also, snow peas can't do much out of the pod. No, those snow cabbages are without a doubt the most dangerous carnivorous plants in the realms.
    Exactly! Eating people at 10% of the speed means they inflict greater pain. Truly its because of this that they are one of the more terrible man-eating vegetables.

As for snow peas the opposite is true. Inside the pod they are contained. Outside of it they nibble and nibble until there is nothing left but a plucked corpse. They are terrifying in their own way!
    Post edited by elminster on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,744
    Ohh guys and ladies... 139 comments in this thread since my last visit... I didn't think such a portion of humour was possible...

Thanks for that! And thanks for the blog post : )

... I'm still laughing ...
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    @AstroBryGuy‌, cheers mate! I only just found this thread and I couldn't read through all 30+pages!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Noobacca said:

Anyway, just my two cents!

I like the idea of following the adventures of other characters. One of the ideas initially floated for Adventure Y was that it would be the story of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from the perspective of Sarevok, but there were too many complications to make it worth.

Part of the charm of Baldur's Gate games is that Charname is largely a blank slate for the player to project upon, rather than a well defined character with a specific personality. That's why we haven't pursued ideas like following Minsc & Dynaheir before their arrival to the Sword Coast, or perhaps a side story about where the player is Gorion.
    Why be Gorion? Why not be another Harper that freed another Bhaalspawn from the temple or if evil, A follower of Bhaal/Cyric/mercenary that kidnapped one if children before he Harper's showed up.

You could do a Origins like beginning where depending on your race/class/alignment you are given a different objective to liberate one of the fodder, I mean toddlers from the clutches of a dead god.

Noobacca said:

Anyway, just my two cents!

I like the idea of following the adventures of other characters. One of the ideas initially floated for Adventure Y was that it would be the story of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from the perspective of Sarevok, but there were too many complications to make it worth.

Part of the charm of Baldur's Gate games is that Charname is largely a blank slate for the player to project upon, rather than a well defined character with a specific personality. That's why we haven't pursued ideas like following Minsc & Dynaheir before their arrival to the Sword Coast, or perhaps a side story about where the player is Gorion.
    @PhillipDaigle Easily solved.

Baldur's Gate: Origins: Minsc

Minsc and Dynaheir encounter a mysterious stranger (you aka the blank slate) who gets them involved with some wacky adventures. Along the way, adventures are had and hamsters are met. Eventually they all head their separate ways and Dynaheir is even captured by a pack of gnolls!

So it's Baldur's Gate but without the Bhaalspawn plot (you'll need another macguffin, how about a bandit king, a kidnapped princess, invading dragon, lost book, etc). Instead of Imoen being thrust upon you you get Minsc and Dynaheir and maybe even some other NPCs.

Why wouldn't that work? I've available for hire if you need me me. I'll get you out of the box. ;)

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Admittedly, the main plot of the Baldur's Gate has never really been it's strongest point, at least for me. It's always more about the NPC's and their stories/quests... they're the reason I keep coming back to the game. Even so, playing a Baldur's Gate game as a predetermined character would just seem weird to me. Also, playing something where you pretty much know what's going to happen or what it's leading up to... I don't know.
    edited January 2015
    Coutelier said:

Admittedly, the main plot of the Baldur's Gate has never really been it's strongest point, at least for me. It's always more about the NPC's and their stories/quests... they're the reason I keep coming back to the game. Even so, playing a Baldur's Gate game as a predetermined character would just seem weird to me. Also, playing something where you pretty much know what's going to happen or what it's leading up to... I don't know.

You aren't the character Minsc. You are the character CharName who travels with Minsc and Dynaheir and their leader or at least equal. Nothing is 100% predetermined they don't even have to survive technically since in BG1 you can kill Imoen but she's still there at the start of BG2, right?
    Oh, I thought you meant to play as Minsc, when he still had all his faculties and was probably a really unlikeable git before the head injury and hamster came along. No, it makes sense and I'm sold.

My idea is to play as a random Time Lord, who happens to land his TARDIS near Baldur's Gate, where Quayle sneaks on board and they go off and have wacky adventures across all of time and space before Quayle is returned to FR years before the start of BG1 so he can join the circus, rescue Aerie and do all that stuff.

But there would probably be rights issues.
    I'm wondering about the mercy of the Modest Dukes now. I wonder what they would have to say about all this.
    edited January 2015
    Quayle is obviously one gap that can't really be bridged, at least not sensibly. There might be others, but that's the biggest continuity gaff I know between the games. Well, maybe there is one way to explain it sensibly, but I can't help feeling it would disappoint some people.
    Exactly.

The other thing was there's a big difference between what Gorion says about your mother through his letters in BG1 and what you learn in ToB.
    Coutelier said:

Exactly.

The other thing was there's a big difference between what Gorion says about your mother through his letters in BG1 and what you learn in ToB.

I don't appreciate Gorion talking smack about my mother.
    So, could be that Patrick Stewart is filling in for David Warner? I thought the later might be hard to get, but then old patty-pat isn't exactly someone who needs the break either. Or, could it be a new character or even villain?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Or it could be Phil just messing with everyone's head.

Including patrick's.

Or it could be a subtle hint that Patrick, Mazzy's ghoul bo is going to be a character voiced by some other Stewart like Eric or John.

But I am guessing the first option.
    edited January 2015

Coutelier said:

Exactly.

I don't appreciate Gorion talking smack about my mother.
    Eh. Never knew mine. Don't care.

Adventurers parents have such short life expectancies, don't they? Even the NPC's. I think, Aerie's parents are still alive, although she doesn't know that until the epilogue. Most the others aren't mentioned as far as I recall. But really, I nearly had a heart attack there and then when Aerie said she was pregnant... (it does all turn out fine though... for once. Phew).

But back to adventure-y thingy. Not that there's really much to say at this point... yup. Just have to wait.

It could be that he's just an enormous trekkie. Or has a thing for bald men.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.