Skip to content

Come share your odd gaming habits! What do you refuse to do in BG? What wierd ideas do you love?

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I thought of a cool way to "legitimize" CTRL+J.

Using the WINGS01 item in EE I made an avariel elf and I pretend CTRL+J is when she flies around. Of course I only do this if the desired area is logically accessible in such a way.

Gives you a cool new perspective on the athkatla architecture.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I have only ever tried to pickpocket someone once. I had read about Algernon's cloak and want to try it out. I hadn't put enough points into Immy's PP skill, so he kept going hostile. After a while, I just gave it up, reloaded and went on with my game. Other than that, I've never used the skill in any of my runs through the BG's or IWD.
  • amyaeamyae Member Posts: 71
    BillyYank said:

I have only ever tried to pickpocket someone once. I had read about Algernon's cloak and want to try it out. I hadn't put enough points into Immy's PP skill, so he kept going hostile. After a while, I just gave it up, reloaded and went on with my game. Other than that, I've never used the skill in any of my runs through the BG's or IWD.

Pickpocket is fun in BG2 when you have enough points to be reasonably successful, but it's just not worth the trouble in BG1 except for Algernon's cloak. And the last time I played an evil character, I didn't bother with pickpocketing at all and just had Dorn chunk Algernon. It was oddly satisfying.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    In the rare instance where you want to pickpocket somebody, there's always potions of Master Thievery.

Apart from Algernon's cloak and Ribald Barterman's Ring of Regeneration, I don't use pickpocketing either.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Garrik's also useful. He may be a crap character, but he has a great pick-pocket skill on account of him being a pure vanilla bard.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Can you still pickpocket high-level spells from Athkatla's commoners? Either way, I usually play a Bard, who takes care of pickpocketing, thus freeing up the party's thief for other skills.
  • XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
    An odd thing i do is, refusal to do durlags or watchers until ive reached max level
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Uh-oh, I am clearly one of those flexi-gamers, except that if a game demands me to be a judge, I will never be the executioner, or make that profession needed, unless this is one of those illusionary choices. I have few real life values so stringently importing unto gaming, but these seem important to me.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    bengoshi said:

jackjack said:

Can you still pickpocket high-level spells from Athkatla's commoners? Either way, I usually play a Bard, who takes care of pickpocketing, thus freeing up the party's thief for other skills.

You should. If you can't, I'd create a ticket for it.
    BillyYank said:

I had read about Algernon's cloak and want to try it out. I hadn't put enough points into Immy's PP skill, so he kept going hostile.

@Tresset gave me a wonderful idea about getting this cloak. It'll be my habit from now on. You can charm Algernon (just repeat till it sticks) and lead him into the Tranzig's room. Then speak with Tranzig and quickly leave the room so that only Algernon is left. Tranzig will attack and kill Algernon with his magic. After that you avenge his death by killing the mage.

No PP needed, no rep hit, Algernon avenged, you get the cloak.
    Excellent ploy!! ~If playing a no-reload game would this trick work more reliably with a Charm Person scroll than a Charm Person spell?
    I have never used a morningstar in IE ever at all simply because it has no anim for it. That's my only excuse. Very disappointing that EE did not address this issue.

Although having an ogre character could work. Hmmmm. idea.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'm sitting lazily in my heated massage chair while CHARNAME and company fight for their very lifes. Pure bliss!
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    My own house rules are mostly built around creating a challenge.
    - Realistic resting (If a big fight seems imminent or the group has taken a bit of a kicking, we might sensibly rest. Otherwise, once per day.) If resting in dangerous territory, my thief sets traps, and a Mage will cast Invisibility 10'R.
    - No duplicated spells (Jan & Neera can both have Magic Missile memorised, but only once each... Forces me to use different tactics.)
    - Only change armour/robes immediately before or after resting... Fighter/X multis and duals have to decide whether today is a fighting day or a sneaking/casting day.
    - Contingencies/Sequencers can't be "prepped" in battle.
    - No recharging of limited use items.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    now i want a mod that limits resting to once every 24 hrs
    I CTRL+Y my summons that turn hostile when I cast supposedly party-friendly AoE spells. Complete bull.

Although that should be fixed by now.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    @Abi_Dalzim totally the same here. I still get surprised in BG1 when dispel magic works
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I use temples for healing and inns to rest, even if I can sleep outdoors until fully healed. In fact, I don't use the rest until healed option. This makes early BG1 harder since I have to either spend gold on full healing or remain injured.