Skip to content

Come share your odd gaming habits! What do you refuse to do in BG? What wierd ideas do you love?

Comments

• Cal_ElCal_El Member Posts: 56
    Cant't help but always have a CHARNAME being an Elf.

Never make a Dwarf, Gnome, or Halfling PC, even though i love the NPC's of said races... weird.

Always hunt down Stat Tomes, never ever play a game with out getting them all.

Refuse to sleep knowing that those wounds gonna take a day or two to fully heal, so heal at Temples. The game IMO has a certain Urgency about it, that just chilling in camp licking your wounds doesn't sound Heroic enough for me.

Never play a Cleric coz Swords, I would prob play a Dwarf, if I could Fighter/Cleric and rock dual Axes.

kanisatha said:

But here's something that's always been huge for me which I don't know if anyone else has brought up. In BG1 in the eastern sector of the city, I think, there is a house that you can enter where a butler immediately confronts you. Once you kill the butler and then go upstairs, a man screams at you about entering his house unasked, killing his butler, and attacking him as well for no reason. The reason players enter this house and kill these two individuals is for some really nice magical goodies you can loot from them, of course, but I've always felt it is the height of evilness to do this. So I've never gotten to use that awesome helm you can claim from this guy's corpse.

Are those two NPC's Drow? Specially the Butler because i'm sure he kept 'Magic Resistance' ing my spells?

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Cal_El said:

Never play a Cleric coz Swords, I would prob play a Dwarf, if I could Fighter/Cleric and rock dual Axes.

You could play a Cleric of Helm and gain the ability to (temporarily) rock a holy bastard sword.

Cal_El said:

You could play a Cleric of Helm and gain the ability to (temporarily) rock a holy bastard sword.
    Helmites never interested me though, and Temporarily doesn't satisfy my image of a War Priest Axe Berserker or a Two Handed Claymore wielding Priest

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

I really abhor slaughtering the Xvart village. These days I just put most of them to sleep and block those coming from the Bear cave direction with Grease.

Interesting you bring up this. I also never slaughter the xvart village. There are so many situations in the original game that are completely irrational or illogical or just plain don't make any sense. Given the reaction of the xvart chieftain to the PC slaughtering his village, one would expect there should exist a way to peaceably pass through the village. But of course not. I wish Beamdog would have fixed these kinds of situations in both original games as part of enhancing them.
    I did think of the cows, but when one of them went "Ouch, I mean... Moo..." when I right clicked on it, I became convinced they were all doppelgangers.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    When a character enters my party, their colors get changed to variations of neutral tones. I have even gone so far as to skip certain magical robes/armors because my OCD can't stand the way they make the sprites look. Ankheg plate? NOPE.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Gnome. Always.

Plus, I always role-play Imoen as always having a severe pathological problem resulting in robbing people blind...
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119
    I don't ever enter the Friendly Arm Inn without first killing the Belt Ogre, so that I can get more XP before picking up Jaheira and Khalid by turning in the belt quest before talking to them.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Nihilus said:

A most strange habit I developed throughout the years is that I never ever skip a dialogue... Even when I reload, I re-read the pre-battle speech word by word... sometimes out loud... Help...

That's a peculiar habit. When you read them outloud, do you do with tailormade voices as well? Sounds like you would make a good letsplayer on youtube :)

I do the opposite. I have so few gaming hours nowadays I can't waste a single minute on readíng stuff I've read ten times alreayd or waiting on my chars walking around on a map etc.
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    I refuse not to kill Drizzt in BG1 even with a good party. Mostly because of the items, but also because the conversation in BGII is so hilarious :D
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    Skatan said:

That's a peculiar habit. When you read them outloud, do you do with tailormade voices as well? Sounds like you would make a good letsplayer on youtube :)

Sometimes, but I suspect my impressions are of ridiculously low quality. Luckily, there aren't many people around when I play the game. :D

And I always, ALWAYS have Imoen. Period.

Yeah, I feel this is the way to go too. I even have a reason for her to dual-class into a mage on this playthrough besides trying to keep it in-line with the second game. My character's a sorcerer, so she sees all this magic I'm using and the kind of spells I have trouble with (read, cannot cast in any way, shape, or form,) and took it on her self like the good kid sister she is to study magic during our adventure and picked up enough to handle those spells.

If Charname is evil, he/she is the party leader. I may make an exception for weak Charnames (after all, placing a sorcerer in front is sub-optimal!)

I think I have only ever used three party leaders in BG: Charname, Jaheira and Ajantis. Replace Ajantis with Keldorn for BG2.

That's why I love the formations that don't have CHARNAME in the actual front. Like right now, I use one of the triangle formations and I'm in the back, while still being the leader and the one who walks around to talk to people and do the shopping.

Forgot to say: I don't think I have ever finished a conversation with Saladrex in any other way that, "Is it true that dragon meat tastes like chicken? Never mind, I'll find out for myself."

Now I'm curious if each particular "brand" of dragon comes with their own unique flavoring. Like would a Red, Gold or Brass dragon come off as a bit spicier due to their innate fire abilities, or maybe a White or Silver have a bit of a cool minty flavor due to their cold abilities.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

I don't ever enter the Friendly Arm Inn without first killing the Belt Ogre, so that I can get more XP before picking up Jaheira and Khalid by turning in the belt quest before talking to them.

I'd take that tack...but I've never felt that XP was worth giving up the Girdle of Piercing, so I don't bother returning it.
  • catsarekacampcatsarekacamp Member Posts: 52

@catsarekacamp , Your halfling barbarian dual-wielding daggers sounds like Belkar from "Order of the Stick". He is indeed one of the more powerful party members.

Now I have tonight's reading. Thanks!