Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• sazziesazzie Member Posts: 103
    loving these item location tidbits

thanks to the new updates feature where i can turn item highlighting on and see everything, ive stumbled across alot of these items and have been pleasantly surprised

some containers are so small and to turn the highlight feature on a fully explored map and pan across makes looking for things alot easier
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    More stuff for modders:

The Cast Spell opcode and Cast Spell at Point opcode require different targets. You can use Cast Spell on any single target, but if you're using the Cast Spell at Point opcode (say, to cast Fireball from a scroll), the target needs to be "Self." Otherwise the effect will not fire. Likewise, if you try to use the Cast Spell opcode and set the target to "any point within range," the effect will fail.
  • JimstromJimstrom Member Posts: 99
    edited February 2017
    Did you know that Jennifer Darling who is the voice of Shar-teel, also is the voice of Irma Langinstein in The TMNT 1987 show? Talk about shift in character.
    Post edited by Jimstrom on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    DJKajuru said:

People might already know that, but if you accidently set off a magical trap (one that casts a spell instead of a projectile) its damage and effects can be avoided if you are fast enough to leave the area.

Any trap that uses a projectile can be avoided. I always ran past the ones in the Nashkel Mines (the near the door towards the end of the 3rd level) unless I have a Thief.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    That the picture in Five Flagons Inn supposedly is of Elvis...................
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited February 2017

If a character has the Helm of Opposite alignment on them during the transition to Siege of Dragonspear, then their alignment will reset to what it was before...but they'll still wear the helmet, which means that if you get if off with Remove Curse, then they'll have the opposite alignment permanently!

You could end up with some intersting results in that case. A Blackguard being Lawful Good for example. :D How do you get the helm nowadays? I used to get it in vanilla.
    ThacoBell said:

@Wise_Grimwald Standard drop from the Demon Knight in Durlag's Tower now.

The one at the top, or the one at the bottom?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The bottom. I believe the Demon Knight got buffed on the first floor to prevent people from killing him when he first appears.
    edited February 2017
    ThacoBell said:The bottom. I believe the Demon Knight got buffed on the first floor to prevent people from killing him when he first appears.

They didn't buff the demonknight, they changed the spells that could be used to stop him teleporting away. I used to love that battle. You had to use very good timing to win.
  • CyberDirectorFreedomCyberDirectorFreedom Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2017
    @OlvynChuru That all looks like it's an earlier form of the dream sequences. Some of them clearly know what you are, which wouldn't really make sense unless they're not real people. Why would some ogre know you're a Child of Bhaal? And your actions are the antidote for the poisoned man? Definitely not real. Also, it seems to end with the same warning that the dreams that we see in game do, the warning about Sarevok. So it seems that they're the dream sequences, but you get to choose your actions, rather than it being decided based on your reputation. I like it. It's not great in it's current form, but if they gave it some work, I think they could've made it work pretty well.

It looks like they were thinking to make Bhaal get resurrected in the body of one of his children, though, which is obviously different from what we see in Throne of Bhaal. "So long as you... or any child of Bhaal lives... the potential... is there." That's obviously very different, considering that, in ToB, we see that the idea is that the Children are all supposed to die, and only then would Bhaal be resurrected.

It does raise some questions, though. All throughout Baldur's Gate, the dreams seem to push you to accept the fact that you're a Bhaalspawn, and to accept the "gifts" you're given. But why, if you're just supposed to be sacrificed? If you're not the vessel for Bhaal's resurrection, what's the point in needing to accept what you are? My idea is that Bhaal didn't use all of his essence creating his Children (obviously, he's still a God) so that if the essence was collected as it was when he lost it, it wouldn't be enough to resurrect him (or at least to full power). So, the essence pushes you to accept it, to nurture it, to grow it within you, so when you die, it goes to the Throne of Bhaal stronger than it was originally. If enough Children do this, the essence collected will be as strong as Bhaal was when he was living.

Or perhaps it's just a leftover from when they were thinking that Bhaal would be resurrected in one of his Children.

Anyway... Did you know that Kirinhale, the Succubus you meet in Durlag's Tower, was trapped by Durlag because she tried to seduce Durlag in order to free Aec'Letec. Did you also know that your character can't really put all that together? Only two separate characters can get the dialogue that (very strongly) hints at this; some of the dialogue is restricted to males, some to females. Here's the dialogue that you can only get as a woman:

Durlag and I had a... disagreement about the treatment of a friend of mine. My attempts at... reasonable arguments went unheeded, and I have been trapped here ever since.

The "reasonable arguments" are almost certainly Kirinhale attempting to seduce Durlag. If you're playing a man, you can hear this from her:

Durlag took my wings and imprisoned me, but I can still deal with your puny mortal mind! I'll not end up like Aec! I'll not!

Clearly she knows Aec'Letec, and well enough to refer to him in a casual manner.

As a male, there's no dialogue about why she might've been trapped. As a female, there's no dialogue about who her friend was. But, put them together, you get the full picture.

You also can't get around it with the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity, as after speaking to her, it sets a global variable which changes her dialogue away from the ones that lead to the above dialogues, or she's hostile (and immune to charm). It does work if you reload, of course, but your character still doesn't get the full picture.

Edit: Completely forgot to say it, but those dream sequence things remind me a whole lot of the Hell Trials at the end of Shadows of Amn. A dilemma presented by the essence in your soul, trying to push you to accept. One choice accepting it, one choice rejecting it. Very, very similar.