Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of ONE MILLION visions"

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,749
    edited February 2016
    IWDEE no-reload

After the rest of the expedition to Kuldahar fell because of the avalanche, Hypnos and his friends had to carefully move through hordes of goblins. Hades worked as a scout, so that Styx could cast 1-2 Sleep spells in front of packs of enemies, after that the whole party attacked sleeping enemies.

Simultaneous casting of Sleep by Styx and Hypnos put to sleep the pack of orcs in the old mill:

The party reached Kuldahar, where they reported to the Archdruid about the avalanche and a strange ogre, whom them met at the Kuldahar pass. Arundel, the Archdruid, gave them a recipe for that headache. Also, the party investigated the death of the previous inn keeper, and made the new one confess about circumstances in which he had got the inn.

Before setting out for the Vale of Shadows, the group cleared a northern area at the Kuldahar pass. A lot of Sleep and Command Spells, as well as timely using of healing potions, helped not to lose anyone despite the high number of enemies:

In a small cave the party found 4 beetles - the beetles didn't leave the cave when Hades retreated after each backstab.

In the Vale of Shadows the party found several crypts full of undead. It was were the Hachiman's Turn Undead skill helped greatly. Party members had to run from undead creatures, undead creatures ran from Hachiman, unlucky hits here and there, but in the end all the crypts were cleared.

As for groups of Yeti, it was easier to kite outdoors, so that everyone could fire melee-critters from a distance.

A scroll of Strength spell (which lasts 1 hour/level of caster in IWDEE) was found in one of the crypts. Before entering the Yeti cave Styx went through a scribing session, so that she could seriously buff Raijin for future fights (increasing his STR and DEX). She used one Potion of Mind Focusing, while Hypnos successfully subscribed Chromatic Orb (which is much better in this game).

With new spell, the party cleared the Yeti cave.

The final undead dungeon awaited next.

Hypnos, a bard, 5 lvl, 24 HPs
    Raijin, a FMC, 2/2/2 lvl, 25 HPs - 1 death
    Hades, a FMT, 2/2/3 lvl, 11 HPs
    Amaterasu, a druid, 4 lvl, 36 HPs
    Styx, a conjurer, 3 lvl, 12 HPs
    Hachiman, a cleric/thief, 3/3 lvl, 19 HPs
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,749
    It’s been a little bit quiet here lately!

I hope Chaen by @Otherguy , Xyrwenys by @GemHound , Bardin by @Blackraven (in ToB!), Jurs by @Musigny , Valos by @semiticgod , Scarlett by @Pteran , Yami by @Gotural (a nightmare mode + Tactics!) and of course The Merrie Men of Easthaven by @BillyYank are still somewhere there, fighting the bad guys and helping the good ones!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @bengoshi: I'll be honest. Valos' run has ended due to disinterest. I forget the original reason exactly, but I've started and stopped two or three runs since then. I can't get myself fixed onto a new idea. I have Item Revisions and Spell Revisions installed and I want my next run to include them, but I haven't decided on the basic plan yet. I've pondered various solo runs and trying out Nightmare mode, but the main sticking point is what classes to pick.

Most of my long-term runs are based on wacky tricks or some alternate, unusual means of doing something. The Party of Spiders was based on using shapeshifting and Boon of Lathander to turn spellcasters into fighters; the Fire Seed party was based on shutting down enemy mages in one round without using debuffers.

I have a lot of ideas for an SR/IR run based on manipulating saving throws, but I can't decide how to structure it. Do I use Called Shot? Do I use the nerfed IR Wand of Lightning? Or do I wait until UAI so we can use the IR version of Entropy, which also penalizes saves vs. spell? And if I do use Called Shot or Entropy with WoL or BoL, do I really need to use mage kits to impose additional save penalties?
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    @bengoshi Yes Scarlett is still alive and kicking. Real life and fiddling around with other class combos has put her on the back burner for far too long. I've got a Spartan race here in Phoenix on Saturday, and suit shopping for my wedding to do on Sunday, but I'll get back to her soon.

@Neverused that's quite the story! Benoni sounds like a fun character to play with. I've never tried the triple class options, mostly because I like playing with NPCs too much. The XP progression would be horrendous lol!
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    bengoshi said:

Xyrwenys by @GemHound

Still around: Just had midterms. ;)

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Like @semiticgod , my run ended mostly due to disinterest. Yami was immortal already and get so powerful so quickly because of the Nightmare Mode that it became boring. As someone else pointed it out before, enemies take longer to kill but give more than twice as much XP so in the end it's easier.

But what really prevented me from continuing was when my F/M/T got imprisonned by the Lich in the Docks despite being under the effect of Enrage (my character is kitted Berserker). This really killed my desire to play, even if it was a bug or a scripted spell and I should probably reload.

So right now I'm trying to figure out what I want to play next, which is a hard question...
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    Chaen is alive and kicking. After obtaining Daystar him and Aerie went to sleep after some celebration. Upon waking Jaheira comes back wanting us to go talk to some harpers. Easy fight but I did prebuff with more than stoneskin and PfE so feels a little bit dirty, although to be fair those harpers werent really the trustworthy kind. That ring though, just lovely.

Last part of Neeras quest was actually quite fun, getting the mercenaries to fight the wizards is a fun plot twist and there was a fun drawn out fight there at the end. Jaheira managing to hit exactly one mage with her swarm, I didnt even know that was possible.

A few errands later I'm about to run through De'Arnise keep, bigger stronger bossfight had me postponing a bit since last time I met him he just would not die, still not sure how it will go since I don't have impr haste and damage output of my team is kind of meh. We will see though.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Gotural said:

Like @semiticgod , my run ended mostly due to disinterest. Yami was immortal already and get so powerful so quickly because of the Nightmare Mode that it became boring. As someone else pointed it out before, enemies take longer to kill but give more than twice as much XP so in the end it's easier.

But what really prevented me from continuing was when my F/M/T got imprisonned by the Lich in the Docks despite being under the effect of Enrage (my character is kitted Berserker). This really killed my desire to play, even if it was a bug or a scripted spell and I should probably reload.

So right now I'm trying to figure out what I want to play next, which is a hard question...

NO! T-T I loved Yami...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The Merrie Men are still around, I just haven't been able to work up the enthusiasm to post their story. I think I'm going to just play up to Dragon's Eye, post a quick synopsis and continue from there. I finally realized that my ennui is caused by my dislike of repeating myself and I just went through all this with Gudrun. I need to get to the point where what I'm posting is new.

@Tresset I owe you a like for the Grateful Dead reference.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    Chaen is dead. Or he is not dead. But Aerie was chunked so I quit. Torgal was too much, I had a feeling my damage would be too low and no access to lvl 6 spells sure didn't help. The fight just dragged on and on and on and Jaheiras swarm refused to catch one of the mages, so eventually he dispelled Aerie and then slowed her. Apparantly Torgal sees invis now too. Good to know. Next try will be something involving more single class characters, improved haste really is the game changer of game changers. Playing without it is just horrible.
    OK, I thought the name was a reference to Jerry Garcia's nickname: Captain Trips.
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    @semiticgod which mod is responsible for that rot? Is it SCS or aTweak? SR's Break Enchantment still removes curses, thus if the rot is applied via "apply curse EFF" opcode it should be curable. Can you check via NI the "secondary type" of that mummy rot spl, if it has any?
    IWDEE no-reload

When the party reached the Temple of Forgotten God, this happened:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48006/discharge-of-static-electricity#latest

Now I have a question to the audience here: taking into account one of party members was permakilled, and there are no NPCs in IWDEE, how would you act?

1) Continue regardles, in this case without a cleric/thief
    2) Create a new character to add to the party:
    2.1. Create completely another character, with another class/kit
    2.2. Create a character with new stats, but of the same class/kit
    3) Something else

If I should create a new character should I give XP to him/her so that he/she had the same amout of XP as my other party members, or should I leave him/her at lvl 1?
    @Demivrgvs: It should be ATweaks. It's not applied as a curse. The secondary type is a mod-specific one, FL#DISEASE, which suggests that Remove Curse was supposed to remove that secondary type, but SR overwrote it.
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    edited February 2016

@Demivrgvs: It should be ATweaks. It's not applied as a curse. The secondary type is a mod-specific one, FL#DISEASE, which suggests that Remove Curse was supposed to remove that secondary type, but SR overwrote it.

Too bad it isn't applied as a curse considering there's a specific opcode to do it (custom sec type is an unnecessary complication in this case imo). That being said, aTweak should be installed after Revisions to avoid similar issues.

P.S I hope you installed SCS after Spell Revisions because the former takes many SR changes into account and uses more spells if it detects SR.
    @Demivrgvs: I thought I installed SCS after SR, but my WeiDu log has SR below SCS, so I'm reinstalling the thing to make sure.
    @bengoshi If you do create another character, I think it's good idea to give him XP to match the party. That's how we always used to do it in PnP, so I've never seen anything wrong with it in a computer game.
    @bengoshi: I normally re-create the character as they were, but keep them at the starting level and XP. This makes the death meaningful in the sense that it weakens the party, but keeps it from being emotionally frustrating because you get to keep the character. That's what I did for my last no-reload run, and after repeated chunkings throughout the game, the party game out significantly weaker because of it.

Being in IWD, however, means you lose a lot more levels, since new characters always begin at level 1.
    @bengoshi: Come to think of it, I had a similar thing happen to me in an old no-reload IWD run, except it was a Yuan-ti Priest whose Static Charge continued to fire even after it died. That's when I found out you can't create new characters in a single-player run of IWD:EE, unlike the original IWD.

I believe your case is intended behavior, as one of Static Charge's unique attributes is that it doesn't require targeting and acts on its own. In fact, in IWD2, using Static Charge and Call Lightning while you're invisible is a well-known trick called the invisible bug zapper. Striking without targeting is kind of Static Charge's special thing.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,538
    I wanted to start a game but I'm trying to get an install to work without luck.

Something with stringrefs going wrong (item revisions, spell revisions, scs, item randomizer for bgee in this order, when I summon a familiar it has the wrong name and uses some weird string instead). I suspect one mod takes the tlg from the base and another takes it from a depth. Any experience with these four mods doing different things there is appreciated while I continue to dig

In the meantime I can only read other peoples awesomeness.....
    Another death. My solo Archer/Enchanter/Cleric of Lathander in Nightmare mode died to a bunch of undead. Her Resist Fear spell wore off after a long fight with a Lich. The Dragon Fear drove her right into the arms of a pair of Skeleton Warriors and Greater Mummies, when her Stoneskins had already been lost.