Skip to content

Pokemon thread

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Would it be possible to dump the rom onto a computer and use an editing program to possibly salvage some of the data?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I don't think Tresset was talking about roms and emulation. He means actual game catridge.

I have heard you mention this earlier, @Tresset , but I totally feel you. Losing all that must have felt devastating.
    O_Bruce said:

I don't think Tresset was talking about roms and emulation. He means actual game catridge.

I have heard you mention this earlier, @Tresset , but I totally feel you. Losing all that must have felt devastating.

It is possible to dump a rom from a cardtridge with the tools. Whether some of the data could be recovered and transferred to another cardtridge, that I don't know.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @ThacoBell Well, I suppose it would be worth a try... What tools would I need?
    @Tresset I'm not an expert by any means, but there is a guide here

Unfortunately, I don't know much about how rom data works mechanically, so I can't help with the restore process.

Oh, was the system turned off after the last save before the corruption happened? ORAS carts don't actually write save data to the cart until the system is turned off. If your system was on after saving (say in sleep mode) the data may not be recoverable. If this is the case, an editing program to manually add the lost pokemon back in after a restart would be your only option.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    How the hell did I not know there was a pokemon thread on here? Ugh i missed so much!
    ANYWHO sorry for the double post but i had to go back and skim the ENTIRE thread which took me about 5 to ten minutes. I am very sorry to @Tresset for what has happened to you. I do have a few extra shinies and events that I don't really use or need so I can tell you what i have left over if you would be willing to trade something back.

In other news, I was wondering if anyone had any extra pointers on breeding IV's that I may not be aware of. I DO know about the whole bottlecap thing, but I'm trying to get a Lapras who can use HP fire with a Base power of 65, which is becoming insanely difficult to accomplish. I'm using the destiny knot as well as everstone, so if anyone knows anything else about IV breeding, that would be super helpful, i don't know if anything else was added.

LASTLY, I have sun, and I've caught a couple HA pokemon including vulpix so just hit me up if anyone needs anything :)
    edited May 2017
    @Xavioria
    I cannot help you with getting a Pokemon with exact IV value you want, but from Gen VI (or maybe Gen V, I'm not sure) Hidden Power has always base power of 60.

Edit:
    You have Pokemon Sun you say. This link (video by Pimpnite) may be helpful for you as getting guaranteed 4 perfect IV Ditto is very useful for breeding Pokemon (personally I have multiple of those).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GvwSNYifzA
    I could have sworn I saw something that says if the IVs are high enough it becomes 65... perhaps if you're right though that means my breeding could have ended a LONG time ago. I'll do a little research and let you know what I find
    Hi. I just want to say three things I hate in Pokemon Go
    1. Blisseys
    2. Team Mistic
    3. Server issues

Have a nice day.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    1. Use Flareons and/or Golems (especially now, when there's an event for rock 'mons). There're other alternatives, but those 'mons are of the higher "tier".
    2. Some people just like "blue" colour (maybe it's coming from playing Age of Empires, where "blue" was the standard colour for the player, while "red" and "yellow" were enemies generally).
    3. Try several times and you'll succeed.
    1. I do. Golems are useless, though. Only glass canons like Flareon and Espeon are doing any worthwile job.
    2. I wouldn't compare mistic to Age of Empires players. I would use Starcraft trope as a comparison: The Zerg Rush. This is Mistic's modus operandi, given how many people join that team.
    Sorry for double posting, buuut:
    http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/ultra/en-us/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv2nnRtfCFI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-CBOrLnb0&t=0s

My body is ready. Provided that UltraSun and UltraMoon would be sequels, not merely enhancements to the originals.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I am 120% sure that UltraMoon and its counterpart will be what's Black2 was to Black. Considering the neon-mecha redesign of Nebby. It's almost impressive how they managed to make them even more ugly. Almost.
    Well, I do see they're doing something similar with Nebby (if those legends are THE Sulgaleo/Lunala) they did with Reshiram and Zekrom in BG2 BW2. But that's less of a hint than "2" in title would be.

And I love Solgaleo anyways. Fused or not.
    November already? I haven't even finished catching all the UBs yet! I need to get to work on that!
    Pokemon LeafGreen Solo Vulpix Challenge
    Part V: Hello Darkness My Old Friend...

Last time I mentioned how I am ready to face Lt Surge, but I forgotten that I need Cascadebadge to use HM1 Cut. Which means I will have to face Misty first. But before that, I got my Bicycle from the shop.

The trainers in Cerulean City gym weren't much of a threat to Kyoko, but Misty herself... That's whole other story. If there is a Pokemon medium in which she does live up to the hype, it's definitely games.

Staryu went down quite easily, mainly due to the fact that X-Defend Misty used didn't protect it from Flamethrower. Buuut, here comes Starmie. Oh, dear...

This is how much I've done to it with one Flamethrower. I also scored a burn status, and mind you, it's crucial. This is BURN OF DESTINY.

Unfortunately, Starmie's Super-effective STAB Water Puls managed to confuse Kyoko. It wasn't too bad, though, as I could take about two Water Pulses without fainting (due to how much more levels I have) and I have plenty of potions. I could stall it out. Eventually, Misty had to heal her Starmie. Then, when burn did it job, heavily reducing Starmie's HP, I ordered Kyoko to use Dig due to my impatience (and the fact that I used X-Attack on Starmie's healing turn).

And of course Kyoko hits itself in confusion! For once I was grateful for Kyoko's attack-reducing Timid nature, because that was followed by critical hit Water Pulse, with following result:

Kyoko lived on 2 Hit point left! It reminded me of TFS' Mr. Stake! It just WON'T die!

The rest of the fight was more or less stalling game and I managed to win it. Hooray for Kyoko the Immortal!

Now that my Meowths can use cut, I can face Lt Surge. And the worst gym design in Pokemon history.

Lt Surge himself was nothing in comparison to Misty

After getting the badge, I headed out for the Rock Tunnel, patronizing the trainers on my way

The tunnel itself is just dark, and I had to navigate blindly (and help myself with some vague idea of how the dungeon layout was looking like). This lead of course to some trainer battles I didn't see coming. The worst was when I was battled by hikers, who possesed Geodudes experienced enough to use Selfedstruct. That could easily be a run killer right there. Luckily, they didn't use that against Kyoko.

And so, I arrived in Lavender Town.

That's the first major hump done. Good work.
    Been splitting my time between BG and Pokemon lately. Figured I should do some preparation for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon coming out next month. Is anyone else doing any Pokemon right now?
    I'm debating on either going through SoulSilver again (my personal favorite), or actually finishing White 2.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @typo_tilly If you can swing it, I'd go for HeartGold or SoulSilver. The first few gens really don't work under the hood very well. Being basically held together by hopes and dreams.
    ThacoBell said:

@typo_tilly If you can swing it, I'd go for HeartGold or SoulSilver. The first few gens really don't work under the hood very well. Being basically held together by hopes and dreams.

That is true, but I also hear that Gold and Silver have been released on virtual console making them more stable in that version.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited October 2017
    You should play both Cawps and Korosu :D (they're GBA rom hacks of course)
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    Tresset said:

ThacoBell said:

That is true, but I also hear that Gold and Silver have been released on virtual console making them more stable in that version.
    Stable yeah, but all the glitches, poor stat and species distribution, bad movesets, bugged moves, and poor level curve are all also intact.
    The RNG can be a rather strange thing sometimes... I recently bred Helioptiles in order to get a shiny one. I got it on the morning of day 3 of doing nothing but breeding while in Moon version. Then, just now, I decided to try for a shiny Sandygast. I got one within an hour, probably hatching fewer than 50 Sandygasts in the process.

By the way, if anyone wants some spare flawless IV Helioptiles, I have like 25 of them. XD
    As for me, im currently playing Silver on virtual console and Im taking this slowly. I kinda got bored from breeding pairs of pokemon in Sun.

Waiting for Ultra Sun/Moon. Dont know which version I will pick yet.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Personally? Today, I started playing the fan created non-profit game Pokemon Uranium for the very first time. While I'm still pretty much at the beginning, I've found that this houses an much better plot than what NIntendo has been doing with their franchise in the last couple of decades. *cough*nuclear fallout*cough*

Hadn't thought it would end up eating half of my day at all. :dizzy:
    Oh man Uranium is the BOMB. It actually feels like an actual game, rather than just a fan mod. Prism is worth checking out too, its chock full of so much content and even systems from later gens that its hard to believe it was built off of Pokemon Crystal.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Hmm I might play that Uranium game. The grass/steel starter looks imba