Skip to content

Pokemon thread

wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
To avoid cluttering the activity too much i'm setting this thread up.

Any and all pokemon related discussion is welcome :)

I'll just tag a few interested people to get it started
@typo_tilly @Tresset @Heindrich @Shandyr

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I stopped playing Pokemon when they got to 251. I just read that there are now 721. Learning that just makes me feel old :p
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I'm playing gold so I don't have that problem
    Woohoo I defeated lance! Now I can go to kanto!
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Shandyr said:

At least I didn't get a notification from the tagging in the OP.

But I did. Imagine that.

@Troodon80 Are you joking or is that vanilla being really stupid?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I assume @Troodon80 gets notifications from "Off-Topic" from notification options? I get things like this from Moderation General, where every time Dee or somebody creates a thread, I get a notification that says "Dee/Bengoshi/etc mentioned you in..." even if I am not actually tagged in that thread.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited March 2015
    wubble said:

Are you joking or is that vanilla being really stupid?

That's one of Vanilla's quirks.
    Heindrich said:

I assume Troodon80 gets notifications from "Off-Topic" from notification options?

I get it from everywhere. Usually someone else was tagged, i.e. Cuv, Avenger_teambg, or Dee, but it doesn't really matter who the tag was for. Example, I got a 'mentioned in' notification about this and this and this and this.

Anyway, on topic. I started out as a collector, then got into the games. I stopped being serious about it when Gold, Silver, and Crystal came out. I have at one point or another played all of the games. But I won't admit to it publicly. Oh, wait.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    You stole my idea wubble! I was going to do this...

Tags work in OPs. Worked fine for me.
    elminster said:

I stopped playing Pokemon when they got to 251. I just read that there are now 721. Learning that just makes me feel old :p

@elminster So you stopped playing immediately upon starting? Mew was actually secretly programmed into the very first pokemon games, Not even Nintendo knew about this at first. I even know how to use a glitch (similar to the famous missingno) to obtain Mew in Red and Blue versions. Knowing things is cool isn't it?
    I nver played the first generation, though the second generation is awesome, I can imagine that it gets over the top in later generations, catching 151/251 is a challenge catching 721 is downright boring.
    Tresset said:

@elminster So you stopped playing immediately upon starting? Mew was actually secretly programmed into the very first pokemon games, Not even Nintendo knew about this at first. I even know how to use a glitch (similar to the famous missingno) to obtain Mew in Red and Blue versions. Knowing things is cool isn't it?

Gen 1 = 151 pokemon
    Gen 2 = 251
    edited March 2015
    Aaahhh. I can't read apparently. Sorry everyone.

So here is a good way to kick things off: What is everyone's favorite pokemon?

My favorite is Absol!
    Tresset said:

I know it's super unoriginal... but Charizard.

Specifically I love how Charmander is really cute, Charmeleon is meh, but then Charizard is a freakin' dragon! (Who I know isn't technically a dragon...)

When I played Pokemon Yellow I deliberately delayed evolution to Charmeleon so that I could preserve the cuteness for as long as possible and then just go straight to the dragon phase. Yup I know not metagaming correct, but even at 11/12 years old, I was a roleplayer!
    Heindrich said:

Specifically I love how Charmander is really cute, Charmeleon is meh, but then Charizard is a freakin' dragon! (Who I know isn't technically a dragon...)

I believe Charizard X would have something to say about that...
    edited March 2015
    @Tresset Bah I deny the existence of pokemon beyond 151. :P Mega-evolution? Reminds me of Super-Saiyans in the Dragonball series.

Edit: I jest really. I just never got into pokemon beyond the first gen. The 2nd gen looks okay in general. That's why I actually want to play Fire Red.
    Fire Red and Leaf Green are fun. They are 3rd Gen games though,
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Is anyone interested in checking out PO?
    I'm not... While I can battle competitively if I need to, I prefer more casual battles.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Tresset said:

Aaahhh. I can't read apparently. Sorry everyone.

My favorite is Absol!

That's a really good favorite! :smiley:

Mine is Espeon. ^_^ My best friend even bought me Espeon earrings at PAX last year... I should really get my ears pierced so I can wear them. >_>;;
    Heh, whenever I pull out my Espeon I like to say "Boing!" because of the Magic Bounce. Status moves are annoying.

I have a Lugia I am really fond of. I call it "The Bulwark". I trained it solely for defense and HP. It is really hard to kill. It even has the hidden ability Multiscale making it practically impossible to one-shot. On top of that it has HP restoring moves like Giga Drain and Roost, along with Aeroblast and Earth Power. It doesn't do much damage but it certainly has some staying power.
    My favourite is Gyarados or as I named mine "Gary", it's great against most pokemon and has a wide range of abilities it can learn. It's also really cool looking especially when red. RRAAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I have to say Lapras is my favorite, followed by Houndoom. Surprisingly, I never really liked Furret. :tongue:
    Why is that surprising? Furret is practically useless...
    edited March 2015
    My favourite was always blastoise. A giant turtle with guns out of its back? uhhh...yes please :smiley:
    Does anyone have any thoughts on Hoopa? Seems like that will be the next event only pokemon they are going to give out... eventually... Gotta have a movie for it first and then release it only in Japan for a while, then maybe in about a year they will finally let the rest of us have one... (I really wish they would change this policy...)

Certainly an odd looking thing... It may have its uses... Certainly lots of power and special defense. Speed is mediocre. Defense is not good. Looks like it gets enough moves to play with. Psychic/Ghost is a pretty bad type if you ask me. Pschic/Dark is ok though.

Sorry. Is that too technical?

Hmm... Perhaps I should also ask how many of you actually still play the latest pokemon games... Seems like a lot of you stopped at the older ones.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    wubble said:

My favourite is Gyarados or as I named mine "Gary", it's great against most pokemon and has a wide range of abilities it can learn. It's also really cool looking especially when red. RRAAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

that is also my favourite, except mine will always be cooler ;)

Tresset said:

Hmm... Perhaps I should also ask how many of you actually still play the latest pokemon games... Seems like a lot of you stopped at the older ones.

Second gen only for me, I just love the graphics and the feel of the game too much.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I stopped after 3rd gen, but got back into the series with X and Y. I don't even bother trying to catch 'em all anymore, only the ones I want to train. :smile: