Skip to content

Pokemon thread

Comments

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I caught a Paras! I know this sounds a little underwhelming, but Paras/Parasect was one of my mains back in the days of vanilla red/blue and gold/silver, so for me it's nostalgic to have one again. It'll likely be replaced by Alolan Exeggutor, but for now it's my new main grass type.

Also I evolved a Gyarados to be my main water type, unless Lapras comes around in the game at some point.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @Nimran

Parasect is a fantastic utility mon for SOS chaining in this game with Rage Powder, Spore and False Swipe. It's very worth it to train one up :)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    The Pokemon Bank update is finally out! It is now possible to transfer Pokemon from previous generation games!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I can't believe no one has mentioned by far the best part of this generation. The glorious poses!

Jojo would be proud.
    YES!!!! I just got to a 50 win streak in the Battle Tree (this generation's version of the Battle Tower)!!! This is kinda special for me considering that I often have trouble with these types of things...

I did it in the single battle format and this was my team:

Garchomp with Rough Skin ability and a Rocky Helmet item. Moves were Hone Claws, Earthquake, Iron Tail, and Dragon Rush.

Greninja with Battle Bond ability (aka Ash-Greninja) and the dark Z crystal. Moves were Water Shuriken, Scald, Dark Pulse, and Ice Beam.

Metagross with Mega Stone. Moves were Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, and Brick Break.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    ThacoBell said:

I can't believe no one has mentioned by far the best part of this generation. The glorious poses!

Jojo would be proud.

Why can't we have a buff trainer model like this?
    Tresset said:

YES!!!! I just got to a 50 win streak in the Battle Tree (this generation's version of the Battle Tower)!!! This is kinda special for me considering that I often have trouble with these types of things...

I did it in the single battle format and this was my team:

Garchomp with Rough Skin ability and a Rocky Helmet item. Moves were Hone Claws, Earthquake, Iron Tail, and Dragon Rush.

Greninja with Battle Bond ability (aka Ash-Greninja) and the dark Z crystal. Moves were Water Shuriken, Scald, Dark Pulse, and Ice Beam.

Metagross with Mega Stone. Moves were Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, and Brick Break.

Nice. I went for some RNG abuse with my team:

A-Ninetales, Snow Warning and Light Clay, Timid 252 SpA 252 Speed, Aurora Veil, Hypnosis, Freeze-Dry, Moonblast

Rhyperior, Solid Rock and Leftovers/Rocky Helmet, Impish 252 HP 252 Def, Earthquake, Rock Blast, Hammer Arm, Horn Drill

M-Metagross, Clear Body and Metagrossite, Jolly 252 Atk 252 Speed, Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Hammer Arm

Hypnosis and Horn Drill helped me BS my way through tons of terrible matchups. I think I managed around 60-70 before my luck ran out.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I'll tell something to you people... you rock. The best I could do in Battle Tree (Super single battles) is 12 wins in a row before my luck turns. In fact, often I am failing at battle number 5-6, all it takes is to meet some matchup my current team doesn't cover.

The most difficult thing about battle tree is, in my opinion, that you that you can only use 3 pokemon in singles instead of full team. I think that kind of design decision favours falling into complacent gaming syndrome.

That being said, what I like about the battle tree is that I can try out many different sets, and raising pokemon and trying out different things with them is really fun to me.

---

And, other topic. In future I would like to obtain some pokemon that can evolve only via trade (or trade + item) and I would like to ask if there is someone out there that can help me with that. I am asking here since I not sure if I can trust just random people. They could always send me Adamant Kadabra holding Everstone, you know...
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Oh hey this is a thread. Maybe this will motivate me to get a replacement 3ds or something.
    I was so excited about my battle tree accomplishment that I forgot to mention that just before doing that I had completed my pokedex and obtained the Shiny Charm. I then bred Honedges for about 24 hours to get one that was shiny. Having done this, I am not sure shiny hunting is for me. It is a very boring and repetitive process that tries my patience to the limit.
    I'm lucky to get through 3 battles in the battle segway or whatever. I don't metagame, breed, or even go out of my way to use "competitive" pokemon. Just the ones that I think look cool. So I'm always impressed whenever people do well in those things.
    Well ultimately the Battle Frontier/Subway/Tree/whatever have you is luck-dependent most of all. Post-Pokebank my Azumarill/Aegislash/Blaziken trio which made 200+ in ORAS's Battle Maison didn't manage 10 rounds in the Battle Tree before getting paralyzed, confused and accuracy hax'd to death. It's commonly accepted that the AI skews random numbers and matchups against you.

It's commonly accepted that the AI skews random numbers and matchups against you.

Indeed.
    ThacoBell said:

Jojo would be proud.

What about the Fairy pose?
    All of my pokemon hold a z crystal, just so I can pose in battle.
    Okay gotta say, I absolutely love the designs and story behind

All of the Ultra Beasts.
    edited February 2017
    @ThacoBell

The battle theme is also amazing isn't it :)
    It certainly is. This is also the first time I've used legendaries in my party since Emerald.
    I just moved the majority of my 6th gen pokemon to Moon version. I did not move most of the mega pokemon who could no longer get their mega stones.

Speaking of that; I heard that they are planning on bringing the missing mega stones into Sun and Moon, but very gradually and through a series of events (go figure). So far they have only announced Mawile's and Beedril's stones as a registration gift for entering an official competition.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited February 2017
    There's now Gen 2 in Pokemon Go. 100 new pokemons to catch.
    My Hoothoot and Furret are agreeing with you.
    Hi guys and sorry for double posting. Anyways, I have plans to do some playthroughts for various pokemon game versions with various twists (randomnizers, solo, monotype, nuzlockes etc.). Why I mention this? Because I would like to know if there is interest on your part and whether it is okay to post the playthroughts on this topic or not.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    No need to apologise for double posting :)

I'm happy for you to post playthroughs here, however I would ask that you put it in a spoiler tag so it doesn't take up the whole page.(and so it doesn't spoil things)
    Okay, here I go.

Pokemon LeafGreen Vulpix Solo challenge

Using pokemon randomnizer to modify the starter picks, I swapped Charmander for Vulpix for the purpose of this run. As the name suggest, it is Vulpix solo run, meaning that in combat I use Vulpix and Vulpix only. Also, if said Vulpix faints, then that would mean game over. However, I since Vulpix is my only Pokemon I am free to use whatever items I want and whatever tactics I want.

The battle style is set to, well, "Set", since there is no point in "Shift" anyways.

My Charname's Character name is Obrus (Polish for: "Papercloth". Don't ask.) and the Vulpix I recieved is of Timid nature (increased speed, decreased attacl). Say hi to Kyoko.

Of course, the first challenge was Gary freaking Oak and his Squirtle. Ember wasn't effective, but it had a chance to burn the turtle and it did just that. I was lucky and I didn't have to use potion.

After beating my rival's arse, I did the standard route. Go to Viridian City, recieve Oak's parcel, take it back to professor, recieve pokedex and Pokeball. Then, I captured Pidgey for future use as HM Slave for Fly. Right after, I decided to do Viridian Forest, since fire moves are supereffective against bug pokemon. At level 9, Kyoko learned the most badass, useful move in this run. Roar.

Well, if it wasn't for -5 priority of this move, it could be actually useful in this run. Anyways, after reaching Pewter City at lvl 11, I challenged the trainer in the Gym. I wasn't really in danger, since foe's Geodude lacked any rock-type moves, but defeating it took some hits, even with a burn. In comparison, enemy's Sandshrew went down quite easily.

After reaching level 12, I decided to let Kyoko fight Gary motherloving Oak west of Viridian City. The battle against Pidgey was quite easy, but I was afraid of Squirtle a bit. To my surprise, it didn't use Bubble or anything like that at all. That made defeating it quite easily, and Kyoko reached level 13.

Level 13 is still not sufficent to face Brock, since I am convinced his Onix has Rock Tomb as one of its moves. Time for some boring grind.
    Pokemon LeafGreen Vulpix SOlo Challenge
    Part II: Cool Story Bro(ck).

After some grinding, Kyoko grew to level 17 and learned Will-O-Wisp, an attack that results in burn, which takes away opponent's HP turn by turn and reduces their Attack stat by half. Going to be useful for a while.

So, time to challenge the gym leader, because why not? Just see that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3BFQVPc0f8
    I love that Vulpix starts with tail whip and has no physical attacks before level 20.
    Pokemon LeafGreen Vulpix Solo Challenge
    Part III: Mount Boring Moon

After defeating Brock and healing Kyoko, I headed east to the Mount Moon and recieved the running shoes from prof. Oak's aide. Pretty neat, that helps a lot. I battled all trainers along the way and it went with no problems. I've reached Pokemon Center by the Mount Moon, healed Kyoko and started exploring the cave.

The first thing I wanted to do was to catch Geodude as eventual HM Slave. I did and I just called him a Slave. He will prove useful later on. And so, I started battling other trainers. Eventually, Kyoko reached level 21 and learned Confuse Ray, forgetting the mighty Roar.

The only fight I skipped was that one Hiker with Onix and Geodude. I didn't want to risk anything. If I was unlucky, I could die despite outleveling my enemies.

Finally, I fought the super nerd who was guarding two pokemon fossils. I beat him and choose Helix fossil, not like it does matter or anything. I use only Vulpix for battling, anyways.

I've reached the exit of this cave and headed towards Cerulean City. On my way, I met two move tutors, one for Mega Punch, the other for Mega Kick. As much as I would like to see Kyoko punch and kick other Pokemon in the face, Vulpix isn't compatible with this moves. Oh well, welcome Cerulean City!

After obligatory visit to Pokemon Center, I went to the shop and sold all the useless items and bought some new ones, super potions in particular. Kyoko was level 23 at that point, and since I know what comes next, I think I'll train her to level 24 or 25 before heading north. I'll think I skip Misty for some time.

Pokemon LeafGreen Solo Vulpix Challenge
    Part IV: Kyoko goes on

I have decided to level up Kyoko to at least lvl. 25, given that the rival battle was just ahead and I was kinda afraid of Pidgeotto and its Sand attack lowering my accuracy to the point of not being able to hit a thing. For that, I had to be sure that Kyoko was strong enough to take down the damned bird fairly quick.

Gary Motherlovin' Oak's Squirtle was much less of a problem. The level difference and relatively high SP. Def of Vulpix did its work.

After defeating G.M.O the nugget bridge was not a problem. Neither getting it to Bill for the Ticket. By the way, this guy is cool. So much wow.

Anyways, after helping Bill I decided to skip the gym and Misty for now. Starmie would wipe the floor with Kyoko right now. So, instead I defeat the rocked and recieved TM28 containing Dig. I taught it to Kyoko.

On the way to the Vermilion city, I decided to catch a Meowth. It is solo Vulpix challenge, and therefore I'll use only Vulpix in battles. But Meowth has Pickup as an abillity, which in FR/LG means a chance to pick up berry after a fight - or even Rare Candies. The latter is very valuable, so I'll count on that. I don't see it violating the rules of the challenge, as even if enemy pokemon uses Roar or Whirlwind to force a switch on me, I'll still have to switch back to Vulpix, therefore risking taking an attack on switch. It doesn't work in my favour in battles at all.

Eventually, Kyoko has learned Flamethrower. A very solid attack I'll probably not going to switch for anything else. Fire Blast has more power, but is less reliable (in a sense it can miss) and has only 5 PP (and Vulpix's movepool isn't that impressive to begin with). Overheat is also not an option in solo play, as it decreases Sp. Attack by two stages after use.

Obtained VS. Seeker in the Vermilion City pokemon gym. After that I got a bike voucher.

After that, I was like "Ok, I caught a Meowth. But pickup will be more efficient with more of these being in my party, even if I use only Vulpix in battles...". So I caught few more of them.

After that I went to clear up SS. Anne and for the most part nothing special happened. This guy always kinda creeped me out, though.

Kyoko's Dig worked quite well on Tentacools

And there we have him. Gary Motherfreaking Oak, again in the same update. This time, with Flamethrower on my side, I was not afraid of stinking Pidgeotto.

I should be more afraid of Wartortle, though. I obviosly didn't knock it out with only 1 Flamethrower, which was bad. I left its HP in a ranged in which its abillity - Torrent - works, boosting its water attacks. And so, it hit Kyoko with Water Gun, scored a crit and nearly took me out in one hit. I was really, really scared there... Ultiamtely though, Kyoko prevailed.

After parting ways with the rival, I have recieved HM01, and I'm ready to facte the Lt. Surge.

Welcome back Kyoko ;)
    I wish I could think of Pokemon in a happy way again... I suppose I should share something that happened to me recently:

Several weeks ago, the data on my Omega Ruby cartridge became corrupt somehow... That cartridge actually held my absolute largest number of pokemon. It was my primary gen 6 game... Its boxes were practically overflowing with awesome pokemon, including a great many legendaries, shinies, and super rare events... Gone now... all gone... Since this happened, even the thought of pokemon in general makes me think of all I have lost on that cartridge and depresses me. By the greatest of fortunes I had transferred some of my more rare and valued pokemon to gen 7 already, but the loss is still incredible and difficult to bear. I... don't know what to do... That one cartridge had practically everything one could ask for in a pokemon game... Years of my hard work... Generations of events... Gone...