Skip to content

What soothes your soul?

Comments

• TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861

Being greeted by so many piano pieces this morning has indeed been soul lifting for me. )
    One of the pieces that @Shandyr posted contained images of cows, which reminded me of one more of the things that give my soul a lift. I love these noble creatures.

I have this little statue of a cow and her calf that sits in my kitchen window.

Good you can be in that moment, and kindly done Shandyr. :smiley:

I get the impression I should wish you live at least partially non-urban existence, which I admit, is very necessary to me.

Along these lines, I hope it pleases you as much as it sort of pleased-amazed me; that cows are ancient herd-runners, such as reindeer or caribou. This was deduction from an palaeontologist based on their bone structure, but I believe it. When cows are let loose during summer unto wilderness (Finland this), often enough, it takes effort to get them back to the domesticated role...

And a photographer family friend of mine confessed: herd of "hieho" (Finnish that : means a cattle between calfhood and adulthood) did not like him getting his camera out - they sprung forth through the wire-fence, and he slinked away, not wanting to tell the farmer he caused them to run...

He dislikes kettle because he was unwillingly assigned heritor of family farm. He never fulfilled, but still: hieho 1:0 here!
    BillyYank said:

And Billie Holiday.

Yer moniker has anything to do with the Angel of Harlem, or Billie, I wonder. Or just a slight coincidence?

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @TStael

I do indeed live in the country. :) We do so by choice, in spite of the long commute and the river out back that has threatened to overflow it’s banks on more than one occasion. The trade off is that the we get to see the mountains outside our windows and experience the sights and sounds of the many trees and critters that also call this area home.

Thank you for your post, it was both informative and entertaining. :)
    edited June 2016
    Good to know @Ravenslight - only, I also regret it seems like a trade-off between "true" and "comfortable" living to you - or am I wrong?

This said, when I first came to live in Paris @23 years of age thanks to the university exchange program, I felt overwhelmed for a couple of weeks. I'd mainly lived a rural experience, before superior education in Helsinki.

I had to adjust, then, but it was out of love for Europe, and for love of French, and out of love of that opportunity, and amazing sophisticated city that was a bit too much, but also I was there because I wanted to. Now I look back amused at my inexperienced self, but also with great thankfulness how it went.

That said - I cannot properly be without nature connection. But it just has to be there.

Edit: @ at the first line.
    @TStael

It is true, but I have come to learn that there are always trade offs in life. As you yourself have experienced. I have never regretted the choice we made to live out here.

I’m glad that your choices have worked out so well for you. :)

I too must always have some way to stay connected with nature. It is really nice to share that connection with another person who lives so far away from where I do, here in the United States.

Speaking of things that lift my spirits, it truly gives me a sense of joy to think about you taking delight in the parts of nature that you can see and touch over there. :)
    edited June 2016
    @Ravenslight I lived, in fact, about two years in Scottsdale AZ, as well. For work.

I especially loved the richness of the desert - it is very handsome for the colours, and cacti flowers! I loved the amazing blue and red moments of sunset and -rise. Quite different from the very soft Scandi-summer nights, but as amazing.

I boast no great success in material sense. Only that my friends are dear, and I have seen some parts of our beautiful world. Amazing AZ desert included!!
    BillyYank said:

TStael said:

BillyYank said:

And Billie Holiday.

Yer moniker has anything to do with the Angel of Harlem, or Billie, I wonder. Or just a slight coincidence?

No, "Billy Yank" was the generic name for a Union soldier during the American Civil War, just as "Johnny Reb" was for the Confederates.
    I did not know, so thank you for telling! :-) (FIN had a very cruel civil war too, from which some had to accept cruelly more than others to unite.)

But do you find me poorly when I think it was fine the way I was mistaken? Billie Holiday is an admiration for US cultural contribution, as far as I could tell it.

For me, living with a handicap, it's easier to live in the city for the stores, work, friends not being too far off. Due to my autism, small things can take a lot of energy and it's easier to grab yourself by the collar so to speak and do shopping, .

For that - I hope you appreciated PKN for Eurovision by Finland one year before.

And besides, I love Paris - but always note how either buggy or wheel-chair unfriendly Paris metro generally is. And feel elevated that any modern public building in Finland must be wheel-chair accessible.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    "Bukowski", by Modest Mouse, soothes a certain kind of angst I get.
    "Mykanos" by Fleet Foxes can always seem to raise me up a notch.

Exercise, sex, and cannabis.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    sarevok57 said:

- and a new one; last year I bought a pretty nice mountain bike, and now every once in a while I will go bike around town, in fact I even biked today with the little sis down to the beach, and then took the long way back home, it just feels so nice to bike again

+1! I've done the same, though I prefer to ride my bike in the woods or in the mountains. getting that thrill of a near-death experience/adrenaline rush makes me feel alive.

:) Funny you came up with a band with mentally disabled (? I don't know if that's a word without stigma, Google translate came up with it) musicians and wheelchair-accessibility, as I have neither a low IQ and a well-functioning body, but even though my IQ is high, it's my mind that can't handle this world and I'm only mentally ill, diagnosed A.S.D. (autistic spectrum disorder). .

And your immediate reaction baffles me, because you would assume I am ill willed, or sort of of catty, of should "credit" you with lesser enfranchisment?

I am a Eurovision fan - and like heavier rock - and totally loved how the handicapped PKN would storm unto that victory! Because it was proper punk, not because they were "cutesy retards." It bothers me some you'd not take my fandom of PKN for real.

I am not all around punk fan, but here, I love this for its lyrical brutality, and for the music;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__yfmDBZjqc

Are you fine for me to state: most able bodied and presumably minded do not give a toss about wheelchair users outside the Scandi thing.

I do, as a Finn, and it is not patronizing, as far as I can tell. A lot of non-physical jobs could be open to wheel-chair bound workers, if they could access their place of work.

Just because I loved our Eurovision number with PNK, and would have wheelchair users work and move about... I think I must regret first the amount of ungraceful treatment that makes you discredit me so...

We've exchanged anyway, and I trust you. I only hope now you could believe I wanted PNK, and actually think you'd do well to care better for the physically disabled, even as you might suffer with no physical impediment.

I could not have enjoyed my Paris university exchange on a wheelchair, unless I had a lot of money to back me. I did not, I was actually quite poor.
    edited June 2016
    Ps. Son of Imo (@Son_of_Imoen) - I liked you above because you critized me, even if maybe I felt you thought I was ... poorly. I sometimes am, no doubt.

But was this because I behave ungenerously to you, or to the handicapped in general?

I am sure almost anyone has some clinical issue with their life, or other, but to be either mentally retarded or in the wheel-chair, or with social (as opposed to intellectual, u said, bit pointedly) handicap, I'd not wish for it! For myself or for the children of my dearest friends.

But how many tourists even bother in Paris or London, or wherever, if that city is accessible for young parents' or wheel-chair bound citizens?

I absorb your offense for reflection. But per my values, it is not either, or.

Edit: meaning that one might wish for greater wheelchair access, say, without slighting anyone else.

I guess my reaction was improper.

In daily life I feel the need to distinguish myself as having a mental illness and not being throwing into a single amorphous lot with people with different handicaps and it leads to a lot of struggles and discussions about what's similar, what interests we have in common and what not, if training in experience expertise can be done together, the fear of losing a seat in a clients' council and our interests getting watered down for throwing all eggs in one basket. And from those daily life worries I overreacted I guess.

For which I am sorry.

Not improper, as long there is nothing facile.

At 17-18 I visited my late and later schizophrenic diagnosed aunt at "iconic" Lapinlahti mental hospital.

I must tell you that it was very oppressive, and my aunt is still a woman I totally admire.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited June 2016
    Sometimes nothing soothes and can take away the longing to die. I' ve done a lot of work today but once finished I felt tired again and the pain of depression feels almost physical, like a restless lump in my belly.

I collect artwork that evokes a strong emotional response in me. I use these to change out my desktop when my spirit needs a lift. This can be something that illustrates a truth for me, touches my heart, or just makes me chuckle.

This is the one that greeted me this morning.

http://agregor.deviantart.com/art/Cullen-and-Amell-336674091