Skip to content

SCS: just how tough is it?

Hi all,

I just completed my second SoD playthrough at insane difficulty (normal damage). I find the combat system in SoD exceptionally satisfying since I've only played vanilla BG1 and SoA years ago. Many combats in the game was challenging enough to force me to make full use resources like potions, wands, and enchanted arrows while not being too overwhelming, with one or two being very stressful but extremely fun (I've got XP cap remover and Thalantyr item upgrade mods, so that might have affected the challenge level too),

Now that I plan to start BG2EE, I've been thinking about getting SCS (and possibly BP Ascension) to set up a more challenging game that emulates my SoD experience. On the other hand, although I've heard good things about SCS I'm still not sure just exactly what this mod offers.

So I guess my questions are:

1) how crazy is SCS AI improvement? (If you've played SoD before it would be appreciated if you compare it to insane SoD AI).
2) I'm especially concerned about mages in SCS (or even just spellcasters in general). I know that mages are generally smarter and much more well protected with their spells in SoD; however I'd like to know if the mages use different combat strategies at all. I'd find it very tedious if all the mages employ the same, albeit likely the most effective, tactic. It breaks my suspension of disbelief too. Sure mages are smart and all that but that doesn't mean they are perfectly rational human(oid)s that always make the most reasonable choice. Mages are just as prone to blind hubris as many normal people in Faerun, if not more so (I mean, just look at the Magisters of Mystra, all are powerful mages, many of whom died from their own hubris or plain stupidity). Personally I'd find it much more satisfying if mages use various tactics, some of which not necessarily optimal.
3)In the same vein as Q2, is there an option to install stronger AI for the archmages like Irenicus and weaker AI for regular pleb mages?

Finally if it makes any difference, I don't plan to use the spell tweak component of SCS - I'd like to keep them as is.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Simply put: SCS is necessary. I cannot play the vanilla games without it.

(That being said, I usually use the SCS options such that I only have the AI improvements and NOT the difficulty upgrades that redefine the opponents (e.g. improved Ulcaster etc.); NOR do I use any of the enemy-casters-precast buffs options.

Oh, and for the perfect difficulty combination, I play Core Rules and absolutely NO-RELOADS:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40393/

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Actually, Siege of Dragonspear AI was partly based on SCS. So if you install SCS on BG2, it will be fairly similar to SOD, in that you will see enemies use potions, intelligent targeting, careful positioning, and choose more or less optimal spell picks.

Depending on your install options, SCS can be incredibly challenging. As for mages, the difficulty mostly depends on which enemies you allow to use HLAs and whether or not you let enemy mages use short-duration buffs before combat (both options are customizable).

Some mages' spell picks are partly randomized in that their specialization school is chosen at random, and they won't use spells from their opposed school. No SCS mages refrain from Abjuration or Transmutation spells, however.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Needlessly strong.
    Personally I wouldn't touch it even with a 100 meter pole. But others seem to adore this mod to hell and back.

I'd suggest to play at least once with it and see how you can adapt to this madness called SCS. Maybe you'll start to even like it after the 100ths death.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited October 2016
    Bottomline of SCS:

If you play consistently well, you will successfully beat it everytime. No dependence on luck or reload.

If you play sloppy, you will die.

So, it rewards good play.

Keep in mind that, I suggest using ONLY the AI improvements and nothing else (at least for entry level).
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited October 2016
    The difficulty of SCS depends entirely on what modules you install. One of the best things about it is that you can customize exactly what it changes.

If you install everything, by far the most difficult things will be spell-heavy encounters and high level encounters. Enemies are going to do a lot of damage. In some fights, success depends heavily on knowing what spells beat other spells, exactly what spells do, and what spells or potions successfully defend against them. All this in a game with some very piss-poor descriptions and feedback, though for the most part it's okay.

It can be a minor increase in difficulty, or an exercise in outright masochism. It depends sometimes on how in-depth your knowledge of the game is.

Honestly, though, it's not that hard. It's a definite improvement. In some ways it's the difference between Wolfenstein 2D and Half-Life 1, in terms of enemy encounters. That first time a special forces grunt chucked a grenade to flush me out of a corner... lol.

Sometimes it will make you go 'what the hell?'. But most of the time it just makes the enemy AI better. What initally seems impossible will eventually become clear to you, though don't expect too much help from the game. There's a lot of knowledge that could really help a player that it simply refuses to provide. Baldur's Gate is a great game, but it is definitely one of the absolute worst--almost abysmal--games I've played when it comes to player feedback.

As a player, I am very much a gambler and a bit of a 'Leroy Jensen'. I take a lot of risks. But it's not uncommon for me to complete a playthrough with only one or 2 deaths. The no-reload is still an elusive goal for me; but rather than that being a function of difficulty, it's more my need to work on discipline.

Go for it. You can skip some of the things like 'full pre-buffing', but otherwise it's a crazy awesome mod. Don't think I could ever go back to vanilla.
  • namarienamarie Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I notice that there seems to be a general theme of stay-the-heck-away from pre-buffs, but that was actually the reason I kinda wanted to install SCS in the first place.
    Whenever I play D&D (as a player or a DM) I always pre-buff, I feel that in a scry-and-die scenario any mages with any senses at all will pre-buff for a bit before teleporting in, and it seems like SCS offers the option of only allowing pre-casting of short duration buffs for mages that are ambushing you. Does anyone know if this option makes the game significantly harder? (I'm not sure what counts as an ambush for the purpose of SCS, if those "you have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself" encounters count as ambush, then I might skip this part).

I'll probably skip the enemy improvement components too, since if I'm not mistaken, those options simply advance the existing enemies in the game into encounters that are not even remotely level appropriate?

As @sluckers suggested bookkeeping might also become a problem. As someone who's used to the dispel system in D&D 3.x I've never been too into BG's complex spell battles. Can this be ameliorated/avoided if I only install the AI improvements/minimal pre-buff options?

That was a lot of questions. I do realize the best way to find out is to complete the game with SCS - much as I'd love to, I really don't have that much time. So thanks for bearing with me.
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    The readme documentation is very extensive, and explains every component in detail. I suggest going through it and decide for yourself.
    The option for pre-buffed mages can make the game cumbersome at times.

Keep in mind that with the enabled Smarter Mages option, every Mage will have triggers, sequencers and contingencies according to their level. That alone is usually a massive pack of defenses to slice through(plus some really nasty surprises aimed at your party).

Usually the more convenient way of dealing with this problem is to circumvent it through crowd control spells or AoEs like Cloudkill.
    In the end in can all be handled, if you know what you(and they) are doing. The only thing I'd really advise against is enabling High Level Abilities for Mages in SoA. You don't really want them to rain down Comets on your underleveled party during their Time Stops.

As for the creature improvements, some are rather minor (Githyanki, Sahuagin), some are extensive(Dragons, Mind Flayers), some are slightly annoying and tedious (Vampires, Beholders, Golems).

Some of these modules tend to give them abilities they shouldn't have as per PnP, like the demons.
    Therefore, I really recommend looking at 'aTweaks' (it's 100% compatible with SCS, and just requires to be installed after). This mod gives a lot of enemies the abilities they should have as per lore, and will use the SCS scripts for their combat behaviour.

Demons, Fey creatues, Elementals and Angelics become so much cooler with that mod. Like SCS it is modular, and the readme explains all the changes. For demons, you have several options of how tough you want them to be.

It definitely makes them tougher, but also adds a lot of character, as they all have their different individual powers now, as well as spell casting per will. Vanilla Demons/Fiends become laughable wimps way too fast, with aTweaks you really learn to respect them, especially if they come in packs. But even a single Balor can vorpal hit half your party within seconds :D

On the upside all these impovements will of course benefit you as well, if you summon or gate in such creatures to fight for you.

As for staying level appropriate, you don't encounter large numbers(or top tiers like Balors) of demons early on. So it's safe to play with them.
    Stay away from the Beholders, Vampires and Golems and you'll be fine.

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    namarie said:

2) I'm especially concerned about mages in SCS (or even just spellcasters in general). I know that mages are generally smarter and much more well protected with their spells in SoD; however I'd like to know if the mages use different combat strategies at all. I'd find it very tedious if all the mages employ the same, albeit likely the most effective, tactic. It breaks my suspension of disbelief too. Sure mages are smart and all that but that doesn't mean they are perfectly rational human(oid)s that always make the most reasonable choice. Mages are just as prone to blind hubris as many normal people in Faerun, if not more so (I mean, just look at the Magisters of Mystra, all are powerful mages, many of whom died from their own hubris or plain stupidity). Personally I'd find it much more satisfying if mages use various tactics, some of which not necessarily optimal.

I agree with you, but only to a certain extent.
    Because with the engine limitations is difficult enough to script an intelligent AI for mages, that anyway will be much less intelligent of an human intelligence. Given that they have to survive to a single battle/day and often are more leveled up than your party the uber equipment that you have and they don't is not enough to keep balance. Give the control of enemy mages to a human strong player and they will destroy your party 99% of the times. As they are directed by an AI, with engine limitations, if you have knowledge and are skilled the opposite is true.
    So imho, and it is not only SCS related, but true for every AI improvement, is wise that a modder focuses more on the best possible than on variation. Still variation is appreciable, but doesn't have the focus on.
    Scripting AI in this games is a difficult and long work, not payed if done by a modder. Hundreds or thousands of lines have to be write, dealing with engine limitations, opcodes, possible player tactics that has to be countered.
    Duplicating all that one or many times to give variation is more that we can reasonably ask.
    Still some mods, I think also SCS, use very smart triks, like recompiling on the fly scripts or parts of the scripts, that to a certain extent are useful.
    But a real implementation of intelligent and not predictable mages is impossible.
    And if is true that there can be a not smart mage, that don't make the most reasonable choice, that make really weak and not effective ones, is also true that the one that the one that make the most reasonable choice is impossible to script in this engine. Averaging to the best that can be done seems to me a good solution.

I play other mods and have very little experience with SCS, so I don't give you suggestions about it.
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 59
    I like the idea of SCS. In my experiences playing it, however, it feels far more tedious than anything resembling fun.

Mages with the "smarter mages" component, (or maybe it's from "pre-buffs", not sure), will have spell immunity: divination and spell immunity: abjuration up - meaning you cannot get rid of their invisibility, misleads, projected images, or simulacrums, and you cannot successfully cast breach, remove/dispel magic, or the various spell protection removers like warding whip and ruby ray of reversal, to get rid of their stoneskins, pfmw's, globes of invulnerability, and spell reflection.

I don't know in SCS, but in vanilla (even if it not happen) or with mods that don't alter the vanilla working of the spells, is perfectly possible to get rid of a combination SI abjuration and divination.
    I can think on the fly of at least 3 methods.
    In Soulafein mod there is even an enemy that adds a SI against RROR, 3 active at the same time.
    And if you are smart enough you can kill him with spells. And as he is a F/M vampire-lich that uses PFMW and that can easily kill your party, you have to kill him with spells, or be very very tough to survive until his protections wear off.
    But understand your point, only some of us are so masochistic to have fun getting in such situations, the game has not to be HARD to be enjoyable.

@BelgarathMTH

To encounter Mages with that infamous SI-Combo you have to specifically install a module that allows it. In my game, Mages have either one or the other, but not both, because I didn't install that option.
    Same goes for the Potion part.
    Yes, you can set up SCS to painful as hell, but that's up to you. Going for the hardest route possible, and then complain about the difficulty comes off as a bit odd.
    There's a lot of middleground to SCS, and you alone decide how hard you want it to be.
    Some people prefer to breeze through the game, and just enjoy the journey, and that a-ok. But if you are looking for at least occasional excitement and the odd nailbiter moment in your encounters, then SCS is -imo- a fantastic and smarter alternative to crude approaches like the LoB mode, which throws 80+ hp Goblins at you.
  • namarienamarie Member Posts: 52
    Pretty sure Spell Immunity is not meant to be stackable...(well, not so sure now since I just read through the readme and saw no mention of making SIs stackable). Does SCS's "individual versions of SI" have something to do with it? This is rather important to me since I don't plan to install the spell tweaks...
    Also if the pre-buff component is responsible for this change then I guess I'll skip it too.

I think at this point I've had some idea about what components to choose by the time I start my BG2EE, thanks everyone for the input!
    namarie said:

Does SCS's "individual versions of SI" have something to do with it? This is rather important to me since I don't plan to install the spell tweaks...

Yes, this the offender. Leave it away, and you won't face multiple SI's in your game.

• DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    jinxed75 said:

namarie said:

Does SCS's "individual versions of SI" have something to do with it? This is rather important to me since I don't plan to install the spell tweaks...

Yes, this the offender. Leave it away, and you won't face multiple SI's in your game.
    You will, regardless of that component.

The "individual versions of SI" component was added to "justify" the use of SI within contingencies/triggers (old engine was not allowing spells from a sub-menu like SI to be used there). Before EE you could stack non-stackable spells by putting them into contingencies/triggers (EE added a specific opcode to prevent it), but afair even without that exploit multiple SI could be easily stacked even if cast separately...that's far from the only odd/inconsistent thing regarding SI:
    - SI:Abj was not covering 90% of Abjuration spells (e.g. no protection vs. spell removals like Spell Thrust or Pierce Magic)
    - SI was supposed to make you fully immune to the selected spell school (e.g. you should have not been able to use PfMW under SI:Abj) but it didn't
    sluckers said:

With this kind of play style, you might as well say good-bye to several spell levels as you'd be forced to devote half of your spells to simple debuffers in order to combat what could potentially be several extremely well protected mages who can throw everything (kitchen sink included) at you, whereas you have to conserve your resources. If you have 1 mage in your party, it's very easy for theie playstyle to be cramped by the pre-buffing option; they may end up becoming a mere debuff-bot, as unless they have rings or specialties they're limited to 5 castings per level.

I really Wish that you can find a solution at this Spell shortage. to think that there is not is a Trap. your nekt Project should be to Image a possible solution.
    Ask to your Sorcerer, maybe he can help.
    sluckers said:

And while there are wands in the game for this exact purpose, a single powerful magical enemy can use them up in a single encounter. And they are expensive to recharge.

Ask to your Thief, maybe he can help.

Demivrgvs said:

You will, regardless of that component.

I've made it to Suldenessalar in my current run, and so far have not encountered someone using a SI-Combo, and I'm pretty sure such an incident wouldn't have gone unnoticed.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Great thread as planning to do my first SCS run after finishing LOB with SOD, dont like the crazy amounts of health from LOB as takes forever but do like the improved AI such as enemy targeting, using potions, and crazy kiting and hit & run tactics which now I know how it feels...for sure they have implemented smarter AI on the mages already as they come pre-buff but SCS looks like its much more...don't think I will use the prebuff or potions as the above comments would be too much but improved AI for sure...Not sure how bad vamps/golems/flayers/beholders are as would like to try it all enemies with improved so wouldnt mind hearing how bad they can be...I agree skipping HLA's too as having time stops and comets from multiple mages doesnt sound like fun
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    BTW after installing SCS then add Atweaks for BGEE run for better AI?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    I agree with most of the praise about SCS. I can not think a bg2 game without it.

Regular mage ai is, basically:

-raise defenses
    -cast x spell on nearest target
    wait
    -cast y spell on nearest target
    wait
    -cast z spell on nearest target

etc. Pretty artificial and computer-like.

A scs mage will react to what is happening, will kite warriors, try to dispel their potion buffs, and debuff your mages, renew his own defenses as needed, use spells intelligently and don't waste them on immune/protected characters, use attacks and lob sneaky melfs meteors in between spells, when wounded will try to go invisible and flee/heal/rebuff/summon, and if he sees an opening or debuffed/weakened character will nail him with flame arrow sequencer or powerwords. It feels like playing against a living, breathing, thinking opponent. One of the finest and most exciting mage duels and battles can be fought thanks to scs.
    Post edited by lunar on
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    In all honesty, BG isn't 20% the game it is (or *can be*) w/o mods, SCS being one of them (probably the most important one). I don't like the game without it, since it' gets bland and boring after xth runthrough.
    With SCS, you can always beef up the difficulty - fighting Lavok with Comets and Planetars actually feels like you're fighting a mage who's been alive for countless years, not some random street punk who accidentaly found a way in Planar Sphere.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Most SCS challenges are fair, but there's a single one I would never ever install ever again : Smarter Mages. Instead of only improving an enemy's targeting it also changes their spell selection dramatically, being quite repetitive actually.