Skip to content

SCS: just how tough is it?

Comments

• AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    @Pteran

Similar to Semticgod above, I also don't like soloing. I have a serious problem with level cap (solo can reach it quickly, probably in Underdark) and I tend to loose interest after that happens. The whole RPG concept is based around character development after all. Duo run may be more interesting. Mind you, you
    can avoid being killed my Shadow Door's Maze effect (take distance, it has a very short range, Boots of Etherealness make you immune to it, buff with True Seeing, lower save vs spells to a negative value - save is at -4, bypasses MR, so that may be hard to achieve...); there are other things far more deadly than this. The thing that makes it so hard imo is SI:Abj removal; which limits multiclasses potential scaling immensly. Single classed mages are also nerfed by it, but multis will have trouble keeping their buffs up throughout the game.
    Per duo runs - sorcerer + x can probably be done. You'll still have an unreasonably hard game, but it can be done. Sorcerer should have 18 WIS in any case (SR doesn't touch Wish spell). x can be a fighter-illusionist, fighter-mage, or similar. Barbarian is an ok choice if you're not using Kit Revisions. Fighter/cleric multiclass is a total powerhouse, both in vanilla and in Revisions even more so probably (just see what SR makes out of Archons shield and Physical Mirror and you'll see why f/c is so damn good in that setup), so I'd go with f/c protagonist (dwarf, you'll get +3 vs spells/death/wand; not that great in SR but not too shabby either) + sorcerer.
    Sorcerer should base around summons and self-buff spells, with an occasional AoE blast spell thrown into the mix. Hmm...now that's a challenge...
    One problem I see with f/c is that SCS Balors will dispel his buffs with a 40% chance when he caps out, but Sorcerer can summon so that should help, provided no Banishment spell is used...
    Overall, I'd go with 3-4 people at least. f/c; barbarian (two handed wpns, bows), some kind of archer character (wizardslayer is quite decent), sorcerer. If three, drop the archer guy. Barbarian > WS late game.
    A second sorcerer based around self-buffs like Tenser/Shapechange is a valid barbarian replacement for a 2nd melee warrior, but requires extensive micro to play.
    JuliusBorisovKurona
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Pteran said:

but I may hold off if v2.4 is coming out soon.

I would only say you should just use the latest version.
    edited October 2016

Pteran said:

but I may hold off if v2.4 is coming out soon.

I would only say you should just use the latest version.
    What's wrong with current/most recent version? It seems to work decent enough.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Thought I would ask in this thread as it is the one that finally prompted me to try BG2 with SCS.

So I blame YOU, that's right, all of YOU........................lol, (actually having fun so far).

Anyone got any help for killing the lich in the Crooked Crane?
    I want Daystar, I need Daystar.
    The sneaky lich (b'stard) now locks the door with me inside, (now that's what I call advanced AI).
    So having a couple of pit fiends and frequent dispells of all bluffs is not going so well.

I did manage to kill the lich for the Nether Scroll by basically hiding around the corners for a very long time and sending in brave skellie warriors one at a time.
    And then a mad, desperate melee rush when he finally caught up, but I didn't think that was going to work at the time.

Am I right in thinking only plus 3 weapons work and/or the elemental damage they do (frost reaver, FOA, Lilacore, some arrows) and breach doesn't work?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270

I've had difficulty installing anything new on my game. I love SR and IR but have been unable to install it with SCS. I might require another transplant from another forumite's install to get it to work.

@semiticgod Did you try using BWS?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Have a look at https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48220/accumulated-wisdom-for-bg2-solo-no-reload-games

The question about that lich is covered in these posts: here , here, here and here. It's indeed hard to kill that lich before setting off for the Spellhold.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    You don't need Daystar, there's many better weapons out there that are considerably easier to acquire!

That is not an easy fight before Spellhold. Considerably easier in chapter 6 once you have the Cloak of Mirroring.

If you're desperate, you can always burn a scroll of Protection from Magic (assuming you haven't installed the Spellstrike dispel). Otherwise you need someone who:

1) Has lots of SI: Abjuration spells available
    2) Buffed to the max against magical and elemental damage, and has a negative save vs spell after buffs
    3) Can handle the summons without getting physically torn apart

Not many candidates for that other than a PC. Someone like Aerie could be a candidate if you can find a way to handle the summons (lots of PFMW, Stoneskin, Mirror Image and Skull Traps maybe?).
    Just realised I wrote a more detailed strategy in the posts linked above. The conclusion was a mid-level F/M could do it if armed with the right spells. Don't think too many NPCs stand a chance in Chapter 2.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    semiticgoddessgorgonzolaPteranCrevsDaak

BG2 with SCS...

killing the lich in the Crooked Crane?

My method? Use the Item Randomizer mod and find Daystar somewhere else. :tongue:
    Except that's not very effective for getting Daystar in Chapter 2! Daystar is a Tier 6 treasure in Randomiser...and there are only a handful of Tier 6 treasures you can possibly get in Chapter 2 - at most 5 or 6, and they come from facing the likes of Firkraag or Thaxiwhat'sitface. By far the majority of Tier 6 treasures are in Chapter 5 onwards, so this method doesn't work too well...
    semiticgoddessgorgonzolaCrevsDaak
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Whoa thats alot of info but saw the link @Aasim for SCS + SR and its going to be a step up on the spell use for me as lots of these strategies I wouldnt worry about in vanilla and wondering if should just try SCS for my first runthrough...I was going to set up another post but wondering for my scs and ascension playthrough with BGEE all through TOB (with SOD now) should I use BWP? never installed it before but want to include some other mods as well like UB, BG NPC, and any mods adding more battles like tactics too would be nice
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    @Demivrgvs thanks! I was wondering when the next version of SR was being released. I've got beta 12 installed right now, and was going to get started on looking for the newest versions for my next run. Guess I'll wait and download beta 14 in a day or two =)

Does SR have its own thread on this site? What about IR?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Demivrgvs: Long story short, trying to install any mod besides SCS will uninstall SCS. I seem to be the only one with this exact problem, which the hot fix couldn't resolve. I may try again sometime.

BG2 with SCS...

killing the lich in the Crooked Crane?

My method? Use the Item Randomizer mod and find Daystar somewhere else. :tongue:
    @subtledoctor

Oh that's sneaky, so sneaky. lol.

Having read the advice and linked threads, thank you to all, have decided that DS is a wish too far.
    But I found the Burning Earth?
    Always my favourite sword in BG, so rather happy at the moment, says +4 to undead. Can't think why I haven't used it more in BG2 now.

But my main mistake is wasting a couple of pips for katanas on the assumption that I would pick up CF, not even going to go there now after the Crooked Crane............

Well I might go....... have a look.....die...... pretend nothing embarrassing happened........carry on as before.
    Grond0ThacoBell
  • Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112
    A suggestion: go to Watcher's Keep first.
    I used a Cleric-Mage last time I played SCS and I moved the robe of Vecna and cloak of mirroring into wk, so I decided I'll go there no matter the cost.
    Killed the chromatic devil with a level 15 cleric (disabled) / level 14 mage. Took me days.
    With only 2 characters in my group and all possible quests cleared, Dorn got his first HLA right before I enter level 3 of wk. His +3 sword with +5 slashing to demons solved almost everything.
    All the random Tanaris in the maze are going to give you all the exp you need for a dragon's breath spell to kill the annoying liches.
    (But this basically ruins the fun for the rest of the game... Think twice before doing so.)
    @Joan_Daro

I tried WK, those statues.........................need I say more (though managed to pick up Foebane, it was the ritual lot that did for me)?
    So that's going on the back burner for now.

So, current problem, Firkrag vampires.

First fight where SCS (for me) stepped away from being just a frustratingly difficult (or more likely impossible) slog and became epic.
    And the bloody game crashed, not just crashed over and over and over again, I actually had to close down the comp once.

Managed to get past them by turning difficulty down to the lowest, don't know why that didn't crash the game, but it does mean I can continue whereas I was expecting that my SCS journey was about to end.

I did have some fun playing around managing to deal with the fight up to the crashes and would have succeeded, so very annoying. And getting all that XP would have been very nice. Haven't played with a full party for ages and I'm really missing the extra enemies you get when levels are higher.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    SCS vampires are very unfair and frustrating to fight. They have good Thac0, APR and very high HP (lot higher than vanilla), they can backstab, drain large amounts of CON every hit and this lasts for hours, have a very powerful Feeblemind just in case you're immune to Domination, and regenerate at various speeds. Sometimes they get stuck in bat form too and therefore becoming unkillable.

Sure, vanilla vampires are fairly easy if you're well-prepared but their SCS version is way too cheap and over-the-top.
    semiticgoddess
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905

Anyone got any help for killing the lich in the Crooked Crane?
    The sneaky lich (b'stard) now locks the door with me inside, (now that's what I call advanced AI).
    So having a couple of pit fiends and frequent dispells of all bluffs is not going so well.

Did you have smarter liches installed? I just installed the basic components (smarter general A.I. and improved calls for help) and I didn't notice any change to lich behaviour, which was kind of disappointing. I did notice buffed up statues in Watcher's Keep.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    @semiticgod Oh, I have that problem too: I generally get around that by keeping a vanilla copy somewhere, and never try modifying my setup after I start a run. If I need to change ANYTHING, I restart with a fresh vanilla and readd the mods one by one. As long as I install SCS last, I've had no problems. Try to install anything after SCS does its thing, though... I haven't gotten the game to start once that way. :tongue:
    Well, it's time to say "farewell" to SCS for me for now.
    Bloody improved vampires crash the game, I think when they turn into bats?
    I mean that's really cheating, get them near death and they overturn the board, lol.

So some quick questions if anybody would be so kind,
    Do I have to uninstall the whole thing and reinstall without that component, or can I just remove that?
    And if I do reinstall, can I carry on from where I am now as I have been playing SCS so far?
    And does an improved Bodhi work on the same basis?
    Is she going to turn into a bat and crash the game (wouldn't put it past her, she is evil after all)?

Thanks.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Wait, the Vampire crashes are *still* unresolved? Are you super sure you are using the latest version? Just don't install the Improved Bodhi and Improved Vampires and it shouldn't happen (in case it still does in the latest version).
    That component (improved vampires) works fine in the latest version.

You run the setup and uninstall the components you don't like.
    Yes, you can continue.
    Improved Bodhi (Bodhi herself) is a different beast. It's a separate component. I have never tried it without the improved vampires but I think it will be fine.

Also, if you don't like improved vampires and find them too strong, Improved Bodhi... well, let me just say that she's more difficult that a group of 20 ancient SCS vampires.
    AasimCrevsDaak
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    @JuliusBorisov In v30 you can't install Improved Bodhi without Improved Vampires anymore. :(
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    Mislead works wonders against SCS vampires for those struggling, especially if you put the clone in a safe place
    CrevsDaak said:

Wait, the Vampire crashes are *still* unresolved? Are you super sure you are using the latest version? Just don't install the Improved Bodhi and Improved Vampires and it shouldn't happen (in case it still does in the latest version).

@CrevsDaak

I installed this version, subtledoctor gave me this link because I use GOG BG v1.3(?) eventhough I have the Beamdog BG/SOD installed in my PC.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/scs/

It's the only mod installed, and have to say, it does seem to be having some other problems as well.
    Very untechnical of me, but sometines when loading there is this delay when you get the feeling that the PC is muttering "WTF do you want me to do with all this data" and there has been the odd crash.

CrevsDaak
    Can you explain what exactly happens with vampires? I know there was a bug, but I haven't witnessed it.
    CrevsDaak
    edited November 2016
    Aasim said:

Can you explain what exactly happens with vampires? I know there was a bug, but I haven't witnessed it.

@Aasim

I think it's when they turn into bats after getting hurt a lot.
    Wasn't too sure as I first encountered the problem at Firkram and there was so much going on (blood draining, insect(?) plagues, general mayhem ect.) so anything could have caused it.
    But meeting the vampire with Mook, was definitely when he turned into the bat and "near death".

As I said in a previous post, managed to get past that lot by turning the difficulty slider all the way to the left, and I presume that means the bat form doesn't trigger?
    So I suppose it would be possible to get past Bodhi's lair the same way but what would be the point?

JuliusBorisov
    I'll look into it.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov