Skip to content

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

Comments

• EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 943
    Well, unless your party is already a full party of six, Caelar does actually join the party if you join forces with her. That's really the root of my problem (otherwise, I certainly wouldn't have an issue with going for that option).
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I assumed that she could fight for you outside the party if you chose the right dialogue. That's happened in the MP runs with @Gate70, but perhaps the game plays differently in MP (i.e. treating it as if the party were full).
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Actually, that could be a pretty fun premise for a run... One CHARNAME and 5 NPCs with only their A.I.s running. You can control them anytime the combat music's not playing, so you can select spells and equipment and prebuffs, but once you're in combat, it's up to whatever A.I. you've given them.

It's unfortunate that you can't fight alongside her without letting her join the party. You could probably replicate the effect, though, by letting her join the party and then having her act exclusively via script.

Just thinking further about this. If the game does treat MP differently then you could just play through the confrontation with Belhifet in MP ...
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Neverused said:

Actually, that could be a pretty fun premise for a run... One CHARNAME and 5 NPCs with only their A.I.s running. You can control them anytime the combat music's not playing, so you can select spells and equipment and prebuffs, but once you're in combat, it's up to whatever A.I. you've given them.

Hey, I like this idea! What scripts would be good for the npcs I wonder though? You'd want some stuff like 'Spellcaster attack' to be mixed in... and for their special abilities to be employed.

My run is slightly on hold as, after clearing the upper floors of Durlag's & some forest areas prior to taking on the Bandit Camp, my game suddenly started crashing. Possibly time for a re-install.

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited November 2017
    Grond0 said:

I assumed that she could fight for you outside the party if you chose the right dialogue. That's happened in the MP runs with @Gate70, but perhaps the game plays differently in MP (i.e. treating it as if the party were full).

Removing this as it doesn't work.

It should play the same, here's the dialogue options

1 What's going on...
    1 Is this true...
    1 I know not...
    3 Well... Yeah.

Post edited by Gate70 on
    Trying Harm is a reasonable option in a solo LoB run where there are potential doubts about doing enough damage to Belhifet. In a party Core run though it should be easy enough to do the required damage to Belhifet if his MR is eliminated - and it sounds from @Harpagornis experience that shouldn't be too hard.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited November 2017
    I just got out of my first beholder encounter in the Unseeing Eye sidequest. It was not too bad, but still far from being clean.

What I did : buffed, used high level summons, hasted everyone with range weapons and went to town on them. I went ok-ish, but they still managed to kill Kivan and Alora. Still, my moderate success makes me a bit more hesitant to go against the big bad Eye himself with his two Death Tyrants buddy as of now. Can somebody give me a few hints for that fight ?

My party is around level 12/13. I only have access to level 6 arcane spells, since Xan still has long way to go before he gets to level 14. I installed unnerfed spell progression for bards, which means that Miluiel will eventually have access to level 7 and 8 spells, but I have still a long, long way to go before that happen. I have access to level 7 cleric spells through Gavin and level 6 druid spells through Jaheira. My setup allow Beholder to "burn through" spell protections and their anti-magic ray blocks all magic effects, beneficial or otherwise.

Should I just go to Brynnlaw instead of trying my luck now against beholders or the Planar Prison/Sphere ? As a side note, I also tried my hand against the Yuan-ti mages trio in Mekrath's lair, and it went surprisingly well; they couldn't disable us and only did scratch damage.
    edited November 2017
    Well, I'm convinced : I'll clean up a few small quests and to Brynnlaw were off !
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Poison would also avoid chewing through Stoneskins, which tiny insects shouldn't be able to do. But plot-immune critters are immune to poison, as are liches, and it should be about as possible for liches to be distracted by a swarm of insects as living mages. Liches may be undead, but they still have senses that can be irritated; they're not numb.
    edited November 2017
    Grond0 said:

One possibility for nerfing would be to make insects more like poison, i.e. remove the 100% spell failure, but allow the damage to occur (which could potentially cause spell failure). This would get around the inequity of arcane vs divine you referred to. Creeping Doom (which triggers more rapidly than insect plague) would then be more likely to cause spell failure - which would be good as in many situations at the moment the 5th level Insect Plague is clearly a preferable spell to the 7th level Creeping Doom. Alternatively you could just reduce the spell failure rate from 100%, so you could never be certain that an opponent had been shut down.

I completely agree that those two possibilities you suggested @Grond0 would be a much better implementation balance wise than the SCS nerf. It then would act as an efficient, but not-so-sure way to shut down enemy casters (divine or arcane). It still would be strong enough to warrant a high level spell slot, but wouldn't be the make-or-break type of spell it is in its original version.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    Neverused said:

In my experience, the AI is never sufficient for Ravager or Melissan. In order to win, I always need to turn off AI and take tight control.
    I normally put a lot of pictures in my posts in the no-reload thread. Other people put very few or sometimes even zero pictures in their posts. What do you guys think about pictures in the no-reload thread? Is it good to have an image-heavy account? A text-heavy account? Something else? What do you like to read about?
    You might have to wait; the poverty run is going to be pretty simple for most of BG2. But if I manage to take down Melissan, I'll go back and post pictures from BG1 and SoD.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857

I normally put a lot of pictures in my posts in the no-reload thread. Other people put very few or sometimes even zero pictures in their posts. What do you guys think about pictures in the no-reload thread? Is it good to have an image-heavy account? A text-heavy account? Something else? What do you like to read about?

I like it when there are pictures for the start of the run and for any particularly interesting incidents. However I think that it is possible to have too many.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Mantis37 said:

In fact there's even a kind of insect which spawns from demiliches called a lichling, a sort of cockroach with a human skull head.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Lichling

Jesus mother-effing Christ, what the hell am I reading?

"It resembled a cockroach with a pair of insect-like wings, two pairs of human-like arms, a pair of human-like legs, and a human skull for a head, containing razor-sharp fangs. Its body was chitinous and greasy. It began as a 6″ (15 cm)-long creature, but could grow up to 80' (24 m) when mature."

*shivers*
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    They come in packs of 100 and feed on fear too :D.

I just had to deal with a cockroach for the first time in years- my apartment is relatively new. Oddly enough having the thought "well, at least it doesn't have a skull head, tiny human arms, and vorpal teeth" is vaguely comforting while batting one of those out of the door with a broom. One of the uses of fantasy perhaps :).
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    I will generally put pictures if something interesting happens, party deaths, or important fights (such as Sarevok). But if nothing remarkable/interesting happened, I not sure what the point of spamming pictures in my post. I agree with @Wise_Grimwald , you can definitely have too many pictures. But I don't play SCS. For those that do, more pictures might make more sense to explain round by round how they got by a tough fight.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Enuhal said:

Well, unless your party is already a full party of six, Caelar does actually join the party if you join forces with her. That's really the root of my problem (otherwise, I certainly wouldn't have an issue with going for that option).

actually, that seems easily solved. Just create 5 dummy npcs, kill them and continue noreload solo that way. Caelar will not join the party at the end of SoD but will join the end fight.

Wat pure AI npcs. That works decently up until major battles where they just die off too quickly due to poor defensive scripting. You can create your own AI scripts to overcome that I guess, but that will be thousands lines of code similar to SCS and IA (and other mods). For bg1 I could manage that but for SoD or later it is a hassle to counter all those spell behaviours.