Skip to content

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

Comments

• EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 945
    I'm 99% sure that CC will block all kinds of stuns, otherwise I've gotten insanely lucky all my life :)
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    edited October 2017
    Hmm. I recall losing a Kensai/Druid to stunning bolts, and almost all my level 5 slots go to Chaotic Commands, so unless I was fighting with dispelled buffs at that point...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited October 2017
    Chaotic Commands does in fact grant immunity to both stun and Power Word: Stun. Not just by blocking Psionic Blast, but by granting full immunity to the opcodes themselves. If Chaotic Commands is active, you will never, ever, ever be stunned by anything. It's been that way since vanilla, unmodded, pre-EE Shadows of Amn, and to my knowledge, no mod has ever changed it.

@Neverused: I have no idea how your druid got stunned unless Chaotic Commands wasn't active, got dispelled, or just ran out at the wrong time. What kind of stunning bolts? Sahuagin? Kuo-toa? Drow? The last two might cast Dispel Magic, and considering the fact that even a druid with 3 million XP will only be level 15, there's always a decent chance of a druid getting dispelled.
    Kuo-toa bolts. I guess my CC was down or dispelled by the demon knights? I guess my habit of being lax with prebuffs goes a long way back.
    @Neverused: Demon Knights? They could have easily removed your buffs. In my install at least, they're level 9/20/8 Fighter/Mage/Clerics, which means their Remove Magic spells are cast at level 20. That's a 75% chance of dispelling a level 15 Chaotic Commands spell.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Enuhal said:

@Grond0 : I should've clarified my intent - I was talking about what I'd call hard disable or instant death effects, something that will make you lose control of your character or lose you the game (which is often the same thing) - you can generally just run away while blinded, level drained or silenced and heal yourself while diseased or poisoned. Your mention of free action does remind me of slow, though - which isn't a hard disable, but hard enough if going invisble isn't an option and you can't get rid of it.
    When it comes to polymorph, I'm honestly not sure. I don't think I've ever gotten a party member polymorphed before, but I can imagine it's akin to losing control? Can you still move around as usual and get to safety? Well, at least it's propably not going to be a concern in the vanilla game, as I don't know of any opponent who will use it (unless you start casting spells in wild magic zones, I think I may have seen it happening there, but I could be wrong).

Edit: Now I've also remembered Web and Stinking Cloud, I don't think CC works against either of them and they're what I'd call hard disable

OK @Enuhal. If we're talking hard disable then web and stinking cloud are certainly relevant and entangle possibly so. The most obvious example though is hold effects, which are caused by a multitude of things like physical attacks, spells and traps - free action is an obvious protector against those.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for the input about the stun upcode and all. CC doesnt protect against stun according to its description, but it does protect against psionic blasts.

The greenstone amulet does protect - I had forgotten that. I have the shield of balduran and no SCS or tactics installed, so It will be an option B) . I will postpone encounters where stun is an option untill I have the amulet - it is a no reload run, so no taking chances... and XP are plenty. thanks for the info and help
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2017
    @restricting rules
    Anything is allowed noreload runs make me feel heroic, like I can kill all dragons at level 1 (which I actually could with planning but it really is stupidity). So you can imagine that I die more often in those runs where my protagonist can do anything. I become careless and die to stupid things.

Restricted runs narrow down options making it easier to actually plan how to stay alive and when it is okay to tackle enemies at which level. Sure in some cases it ups the difficulty too, but in general for me they are an easier mindset.

Anyway, i guess I am trying to say not to be intimidated by those runs. They can be helpful for both experienced and less experienced players.
    And in the end, if you die but you learned something about the game or about yourself (what you enjoy doing), then that's great right?
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    edited October 2017
    Grond0 said:

Thanks for the input about the stun upcode and all. CC doesnt protect against stun according to its description, but it does protect against psionic blasts.

CC protects against magical commands and not all of this type of effect are specifically listed in the description - the spell also protects against feeblemind and maze for instance.

There's been a debate over many years about whether stun should be treated as a mental or physical influence. CC in the original game protected against stun which obviously suggests it's mental in origin and the mind flayer blast is a clear example of that. On the other hand the monk's stunning blow would seem to be an equally clear example of a physical stun and that led to many mods allowing free action to protect against stun (irrespective of its source). To me the obvious answer would be to have 2 different descriptions with different codes and different protections required, but that's not been done and the EE continues to follow the treatment in the original game.
    @Grond0 Youre right (obviously). I wanted to do the planar prison. Buffed with free action, death ward and CC and I blocked a PW stun at 75 HP. It would have ended my run, if it hadnt... it was an unintentionel test - and thankfully it worked (and confirmed your words). CC is a really nice spell o:) . Thanks again
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I always thought monks just had it wrong. It should have been more like the hold effect that undead creatures like Ghasts/ghouls have.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    Enuhal said:

(though some people allow themselves to use the console for ease of use purposes, like creating a bag of holding in BG1).

In my installation I used EE Keeper to give Gorion a bag of holding. If you give it to somebody that you kill, it disappears. It doesn't from Gorion's body. By putting it on Gorion's body it is there for every subsequent game. I put it on a body rather than in a chest as I have no idea how to edit chests yet using keeper. I assume that it is possible though
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    kjeron said:

@semiticgod @JuliusBorisov @Grond0 @Borco
    The issue related to charm protection is now reported on the public tracker: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/33047

That is great to hear and to see!
    Two other traps are the Web traps in the Cloakwood Spider Area and a couple Magic Missile traps in places Corey already mentioned. Potion of freedom for the former, Shield amulet for the latter.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    Good point about the Cloakwood area Two web traps. If solo, invisibility would be simplest. If I have a party, I usually have an invisible person run all over the map, triggering the traps in safety. Then they come back and the party safely mops up the ettercaps and spiders in the area. For a party, this trouble is usually worth it as there's good experience here.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah, come to think of it, some of the most deadly traps are from Tales of the Sword Coast, which is completely optional content and well worth avoiding for a first no-reload run.
    Quick question: Does anyone know if Ascension Melissan is vulnerable to spell failure?
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    @semiticgod I see your question, but don't know the answer. I'm sure @Alesia_BH would know, but of course she's unavailable for quite some time still. Perhaps you should PM her this question, and she can respond next time she logs in, whenever that might be.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

@semiticgod I see your question, but don't know the answer. I'm sure @Alesia_BH would know, but of course she's unavailable for quite some time still. Perhaps you should PM her this question, and she can respond next time she logs in, whenever that might be.

Oh, better, try yourself and share what you find out with us, @semiticgod :)